2010 All Over Again?

If you think History tends to repeat itself, and I think it can, this year is starting to look and feel eerily similar to 2010.

1) Dominant Blue Devils

2) Strong Bluecoats

3) Cadets starting strong, but most feel will peak early

4) Potentially surging Cavaliers

5) Great hornline from Crown, but potential design issues

Does anyone agree?

The major differences I see are that I think Crown and Cadets will handle show evolution better this time around, and Cavaliers aren't as strong of a corps as they were in 2010. Also, Bluecoats have a stronger show IMHO.

Time will tell, and it should be exciting!

Not really. No one is dominating like 2010. BD were points over everyone else that year. Not clear yet if that's the case now but we will know after Wednesday when Cadets see them and arguably Tuesday when Bloo and BD meet. Cadets have a better design this year than 2010. The little Jeffery thing was cute and they were clean but that loses steam. Bloo surged later in 2010 and that is not the case this year. They are in the mix now. I think it is just a year where you have 4 super corps and it will be back and forth until the end.

No not at all! This is the most wide open DCI ever.... Bd is not a lock to win, in fact I think they are going to have a tough time front running against Bloo, Cadets and Crown. Don't sleep on SCV, they could do real damage. Cavies have great potential... BK is surging and Phantom looks vulnerable. Madison and Boston are getting all they can handle from Blue Stars, and 12th has Crossmen, Troopers and Spirit staring it down.... No patterns here anything could and likely will happen

• Like 2

Different from 2010

BD show is much more "fan friendly" than 2010.

Cadets show does not have the annoying little Jeffery.

The 12th spot is much more competitive, and will start to take shape when all the corps start to come together soon.

This year we have 4 Corps the 3rd week of the season that are legit contenders for the 2014 DCI Title ( the other 2 dozen plus eliminated by now from any possible consideration). Until we have the 4 remaining Corps together in one place, we will not be able to winnow down the remaining 4. I doubt however that the judges will allow themselves 4 Corps to choose from at Championships. I'll predict that by the time all these Corps busses roll into Indy, that another Corps of these 4 will be tossed out of the mix )(possibly even 2 of them), and then 2 or 3 of them will fight it out for the title in the Quarters and the Semi's. But.. who really knows.. time will tell.

Edited by BRASSO

Cadets have a better design this year than 2010. The Li'l Geoffrey thing was cute and they were clean, but that loses steam.

No, it was not. Opinion was almost uniformly against that character: he was the "Jar-Jar" of drum corps. There was one brilliant post here at the time I wish I could find from someone who very intelligently broke down all the reasons that L.G. was a failure.

• Like 1

We can't know how BD and SCV will shake out against the other higher-placing corps. But, I've had 2010 in my mind for a week or so, because based on some reviews, I'm expecting BD to soundly beat everyone this week, just like they did around Denver in 2010...and because of Bluecoats being as good as they are. Your point about Crown is interesting, though I wonder if 2011 is a better analogy. I'd toss out the comparison with Cadets -- this show is clearly better than 2010, and being performed better. I take your point on Cavies, but it's difficult to see it surging into medal contention.

Different from 2010

Cadets show does not have the annoying little Jeffery.

perhaps not but you could focus on other things. This year however I CAN NOT stomach that show. That narrator completely ruins it. It's too loud and you are forced to watch him.

SCV is miles ahead in terms of quality than they were in 2010, even if you don't like the show, the corps is better off now.

And its hard to nail anything down considering we haven't even had a true regional. And won't until TX as BD won't be at La Crosse, and DATR won't be there.