SCV 2016

That for SCVC or SCV?

Sounds like 4 Seasons. Cliche show theme if it happens to be what it is, but it doesn't mean their treatment has to be. I look to Cascades wonderful "Turn" from 2 seasons ago and Colts 2007 "Equinox" as to how wonderful of a tapestry that can provide.

I assume that is SCV, since (a) it's the part of the video where they are covering the SCV camp, after the SCVC camp section is over, and (b) they said the SCVC theme is Hunger Games.

Edited by Eleran

• 1 month later...

From the thread DrumManTx created:

From their show announcement:

SCV1311_force2_20160501-050436.jpg

The Santa Clara Vanguard presents the beauty, majesty, chaos, and power

of the natural world in their 2016 production: FORCE OF NATURE.

Everything around us is subject to the ever-changing events of renewal

and emergence. Order issues from chaos, patterns unfold from disorder,

and the FORCE OF NATURE reveals music itself to be of the same

powerful dynamic that shapes life and earth.

2016 Repertoire

Spring 1 from "Recomposed" by Max Richter

Without Warning by Stephen Melillo

Earth Song by Frank Tichelli

Winter 1 from "Recomposed" by Max Richter

After the Storm by Stephen Melillo

Can't wait to see this show! Always enjoy Vanguard.

I love the Stephen Melillo music. Without Warning is awesome! I can already hear that translating incredibly well to the drum corps field. After the Storm is great too.

The recomposed Vivaldi stuff is very interesting, the Spring one sounds like something right out of a current Bluecoats show. Incredibly high energy, almost minimalist in feel. Still recognizable, but incredibly modern.

I'm so glad they picked something by Ticheli that hasn't been beaten over the head a million times. Very nice stuff.

Theme is pretty vague, so I'm not sure what to expect there. Getting a little of a Crossmen 2012 type vibe. It's better than some rumors I had heard. Very interested to see how this unfolds for them!

Unless I'm wrong Melillo used to never give rights to anyone. I wonder when that changed?

Well, the first drum corps to ever use his music was Carolina Crown in 1995, their first show to ever make World Class (at the time Division I) Finals. I believe nowadays he has bands/corps pay unusually high fees in order to allow them to arrange his music. It's understandable because I've heard that Mr. Melillo is very detailed about the way he wants his compositions performed, not only in terms of execution but also the physical setup of the ensemble. And there are a few compositions (such as "Escape from Plato's Cave") that he doesn't grant any rights for due to personal meaning.