SCV 2016

SCV is yet another example of a Corps that has gotten exactly zero mileage, placement wise, by having one of the best drumlines in the activity year in and year out now, and well as one of the best ( if not THE best ) Percussion writers and instructors in the biz. That said, SCV is not the only Corps that has not quite figured out yet what is most rewarded today on the revised DCI judging sheets.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

SCV is yet another example of a Corps that has gotten exactly zero mileage, placement wise, by having one of the best drumlines in the activity year in and year out now, and well as one of the best ( if not THE best ) Percussion writers and instructors in the biz. That said, SCV is not the only Corps that has not quite figured out yet what is most rewarded today on the revised DCI judging sheets.

I think you also had Jeff Fiedler mentality of "we are here to entertain and produce the best show possible, our goal is not to win". He wanted the members to be learning and to be having fun, his thought was primarily that DCI is for entertainment. But that mentality also made vanguard have a huge number of returning members year after year, which kept them competitive IMO

I'm a bit nervous about this show actually, I love the source music, but I am not sure the theme itself has enough depth to get them any higher than 5th

That's what happens when you design shows devoid of personality and depth. Starting with 14 they just have not entertained me. There was no real excitement that warranted sitting through a 12 minute show - and half of that was their (comparatively) lackluster brass. Now, they're getting new brass staff so hopefully that'll change. I'm not sure what it is - maybe JD's book? He just hasn't worked the same magic as when he was at Phantom.

But there's something mysteriously sterile about Vanguard's shows in the last couple of years - they're not really taking risks or doing anything that any other corps wouldn't do. And that's half the fun! What is Vanguard's style in this new era?? Their shows just strike me as stock marching shows that you could assign to any corps and they'd be alright. Where's the flair? Where's the wow factor? Where's the Vanguard?? It's a problem that I also see plaguing Crossmen right now, ever since their brass staff went to Colts in 2014 - so it's not just Vanguard.

Edited by rr4353
  • Like 1

That's what happens when you design shows devoid of personality and depth. Starting with 14 they just have not entertained me. There was no real excitement that warranted sitting through a 12 minute show - and half of that was their (comparatively) lackluster brass. Now, they're getting new brass staff so hopefully that'll change. I'm not sure what it is - maybe JD's book? He just hasn't worked the same magic as when he was at Phantom.

But there's something mysteriously sterile about Vanguard's shows in the last couple of years - they're not really taking risks or doing anything that any other corps wouldn't do. And that's half the fun! What is Vanguard's style in this new era?? Their shows just strike me as stock marching shows that you could assign to any corps and they'd be alright. Where's the flair? Where's the wow factor? Where's the Vanguard?? It's a problem that I also see plaguing Crossmen right now, ever since their brass staff went to Colts in 2014 - so it's not just Vanguard.

I don't know. SCV has not medaled in over a decade now. However, on the whole, I have found their shows very entertaining for most ( but not all ) of these last 10 years. When I think of Corps that have themes or music that befuddles,, or does not quite reach the audience, SCV is generally not one of these Corps for me, most years now. I like what they are producing. The Judges ? not so much... although consistent upper level placements in nothing to sneeze at either, and dozens of Corps in DCI wish they were where SCV finishes most seasons now, even if its not a medal.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

SCV's drill is some of the best in DCI. I know that doesn't really matter much anymore, but their drill and visual GE are more exciting for me than any other corps these days. Plus, I think JD's arrangements are spectacular. I really disagree with you on about every front. ...and being in 5th place and scoring in the 90s year in and year out is a fantastic place to be.

I appreciate your view though, it's just completely opposite to my view about them.

• Like 3

SCV's drill is some of the best in DCI. I know that doesn't really matter much anymore, but their drill and visual GE are more exciting for me than any other corps these days. Plus, I think JD's arrangements are spectacular. I really disagree with you on about every front. ...and being in 5th place and scoring in the 90s year in and year out is a fantastic place to be.

I appreciate your view though, it's just completely opposite to my view about them.

A few things people forget IMO

Being part of that top 5 ( not top 3 )does not mean inferior at all. At this level very little separates . Often a slip by 1 caption ( not a hot mess just a slip ) can mean several places. ALSO, moving up does not just mean getting better or that not moving up doesn't mean they are missing the boat so to speak. At this level it means someone else has to slip, not improve , a real miss. Chances are slim BUT not impossible.

Funny how what some consider a failure would be an epic win for the next group. All relative I suppose.

Exact same can be said of the bottom of finals and those trying to get in.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 4

That's what happens when you design shows devoid of personality and depth. Starting with 14 they just have not entertained me .

So much of drum corps choice at the upper level is a matter of taste,I suppose. For example, I loved Scheherazade in 2014. I thought the use of the trombones provided an incredible sound. The soft ending, IMO, was one of the best ever. I do think placement was about right. But again, at this level, they are all good.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

It was a rainy day today, listened to Rimsky-Korsakov and thought of SCV. When I listen to Eli's Coming, I think of Kilties. I listen to a CD of Henry V and think of SCV and once in a while I dust off my 'A Little Night Music' record album. For decades, SCV and other drum corps had introduced me to music. I didn't know this until recently. The DCP music corps should do thread is great. Thank you.

In recent years, SCV has been one of a few drum corps that I watched multiple times to find yet another wonderful moment or movement I didn't hear or see the first time. There's staging, flow, transition, musicality, punctuation; don't blink. Multiple viewings equals good design and presentation. Keep up the good work SCV. Looking forward to a wonderful 2016 season.

edit: example - SCV 2013 cool drill, unison guard, no dancers around soloists, props at back, awesome drum line, a story, dynamics, expression, recognizable music and more!

Edited by lindap
  • Like 3

New Director, new Program Coordinator, new brass Caption Manager. It will be interesting to see what that does for them..

Really. I didn't know they got a new program coordinator and brass caption head. I'm conflicted about what kind of season they will have. The top 5 and 6 is very competitive and I see BK and Cavies maybe getting better. This might be one of those strange years where they will drop again because of big changes in staffing. But they always attract very talented performers so I'm hoping for a good year.