Atlanta Show thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because what I saw in Allentown was in no way a seventh place show, the material, the design and eventually the performance level are gonna stun some people by August. Probably their best total package since 1999.

~G~

COOL! Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Can't wait to see it live!

Interesting when the Bluecoats win Brass two nights in a row, its because of other corps' inability. Afterall, had we not had 14 terrible performances in the last two nights, the Bluecoats would have never won Brass either night.

:)

Elmo Blatch

What do you feed the contra players?

Small children? :)

Honestly, I think they were separated a long time ago to give Music a more equal footing (alongside Visual) in the judging criteria. Does the Music convey the imagery of the program? You must understand, at one time, corps did not program a "show" as it is seen today. It used to be that our corps would just program three to four great songs--usually with nothing in common. Over time, themes in shows developed, making a more cohesive story. The GE Music caption helped (probably more than any other caption) make shows more alike. Critics would claim that the caption has become a cookie-cutter, by making all programs similar from a beginning/programming standpoint.

A better reflection is, can you close your eyes and understand what the corps is trying to convey, having never heard of the program or storyline? To me, that is GE Music.

Elmo Blatch

Thanks for the insight!

It seems that any corps playing pop music may have a hard time in GE Music under these circumstances unless they chop it up and only play snippets of it in the show...

Edited by jjeffeory

556 User(s) are reading this topic (340 Guests and 7 Anonymous Users)

Interesting when the Bluecoats win Brass two nights in a row, its because of other corps' inability. Afterall, had we not had 14 terrible performances in the last two nights, the Bluecoats would have never won Brass either night.

:)

Elmo Blatch

I wasn't questioning the Coats winning. Read what I wrote. The OTHER scores seem weird. IMHO

Wow if this isn't like a blast from the past.. The three of us (you, me and George) debating drum corps til all hours.. hahahaha

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. We talked a little about the narration thing at the Rockford show and you already seemed to have your opinion on it set. I won't try to sway your opinion, I know you won't try to sway mine (especially since I held off making it official until I heard/saw more of their show than a preseason youtube).. and I won't say just because what limited exposure I had to it tonight didn't bother me that it won't bother me live (they'll be at Indy, won't they?).. I've just known for the last two years that sometimes narration/amps/singing, etc actually works.. sometimes I like it.. sometimes I don't. The odds on it are no better or worse than me liking corps A's horn book over corps B's horn book.

que sera sera.. est is mir egal.. c'est le drum corps and crap.

Yeah, Stef, you're right - deja vu!! When amplification was originally voted in, I hated the whole idea. Didn't think the activity needed it. Didn't necessarily think it was the end of the world, but really felt it wasn't anything we needed to have. I've since changed my mind about amplification in the pit (yes, even I can change my mind, although it doesn't happen often...). I've heard some effects that I wouldn't have heard otherwise, and frankly, I like the fact that I can hear ethnic drums better now - they're always a favorite for me.

I can't say the same for amped voice. The best I can say for it is that there are a few shows that it didn't totally ruin. I've never felt that it actually added anything to a show - usually it distracts from the music. There are some shows in which the amped voice simply goes with the theme. I don't like it, but I get that. Then there are others that actually try to preach to me. That's how I felt about the beat poetry in Crown's Bohemian show and that's how I feel about the first section of Cadets' narration this year. I expect to be preached to at church, but not at a drum corps show. To me, it's a backhanded way to get some propaganda in.

All that said, here's the point I find most interesting. I don't know if you remember the wording of the original proposal (the one that passed) or not, but I do. Amped voice got one short line near the end: "Amplification of voice would also be permitted". That's it. I find it interesting that what I find most objectionable about the whole amplification thing wasn't even a focus of the original proposal.

As always, JMO. I think I can be open-minded about things (like amplification in the pit) - but there are other things that I just simply don't like (like amped voice). I don't think that makes me close-minded about it, it just means I don't like it.

Off to bed now, but great hanging with you and George!!