Booing and the Cadets

They are uneffected. They will not let the ignorance and anti-class of the fans hinder them from giving it up... giving all they have... all they possibly have not for the fans... not for the staff... not for themselves... but rather, for the Cadets. The members past and present and future. With each count they execute tonight the members of the Cadets add a brick to the monument that stands for the meaning and honor of the Cadets Drum and Bugle corps.

I'm trying to catch up on this thread but couldn't go any further without giving you one of these... :worthy:

Well said and soooo true.

28 pages of combined threads... and I'm still puzzled as to what on earth is so important about a drum corps show that it would prompt anyone to boo a corps. Honestly, I'm stumped. Is it because they stopped to have the field re-lined? Is it because they speak during their show? That's all I can imagine, and really, that's the best you've got to be upset about?

It is completely possible to protest a military action while not hating the actual soldiers forced to carry out those orders. The same thing applies here. The booing is a protest against the actions of the 'corps', but not against the marching members themselves. That much seems pretty clear and obvious to me. While some might not be able to understand it, I expect many are just trying to change the argument to stir the pot. It's just like the people supporting a military action that claim those in opposition want our soldiers to die and aren't patriotic. You're trying to change the argument into something completely different so you don't have to deal with the real issue.

We're not the angry mob....the cadets rehearsal is going to be an angry mob today. Assuming they can channel this debacle into the correct kind of energy / emotion, there's going to be no stopping them. Thats a big if though. I'll see at brass warmups tonight...

they are Cadets - challenging that energy in the right direction is EXACTLY what makes them Cadets in the first place

the corps will be on a bloody mission today - can't wait to see them on the field tonight tear it up big time!!

Everyone from my sister to napolean boy said the same thing :) ...

No matter how I feel about Cadets show or the direction GH is taking them, this made me laugh. :P

:worthy: To you for keeping your sense of humor thru this whole brew-ha-ha....

Fastest growing threads... ever <$1 to Comic Book Guy>

I said at the beginning of this thread that the crowd - mostly BD fans it seems - were booing the cadets as they entered the field, before any relining controversy, seems more like a drunken crowd's treatment of an opposing team at a Browns/Steelers or Ohio State/Michigan game.

I love all of you saying "these are big kids" and "they'll get over it" and continuing to make comparisons to big time sports and rude stadium crowds.

When was the last time you booed a painting that you hated, or a dance by the Joffrey, or a world premier by the Cleveland Orchestra by a composer or conductor who is egotistical or that you hate?

If all y'all think this is like football, well then, we're not watching the same thing. I love drum corps because it is art. Every corps out there is creating art. Yes, it is athletic insofar as dance is athletic, but every move choreographed, every color chosen, every note artistic.

I remember Cadets being booed in '85 because the show was just too different, dissonant, and I suppose, you couldn't dance to it. I remember Star being booed loudly and often in the early 90s. Including at finals. People hated the music and the show because it was "too dissonant" and "thumbed its nose at the crowd" and "needed more melody" - all comments I heard repeatedly - and they thought Star was taking DCI in the wrong direction. Hindsight has proven all those boo-birds of Star to be rubes, plain and simple. Mostly big bellied guys like you find tailgating at Ohio State/Michigan games or holding up bones in the Dawg Pound.

Why boo art, love it or hate it? Why boo any young people making so many sacrifices to create art?

I admit, I do boo at football games though. For the fun of it, not out of hate. DCI fans boo out of hate. How wonderful. No wonder the DCI fan base isn't growing. Who needs more of those kind of fans?

Maybe we need to make DCI a full contact sport to please all you professional haters of rivals and of anything you find doesn't meet your expectations. I'll be there, and I'll bring my cooler full of Great Lakes beer (Locktender's Lager or Burning River, of course) and my grill and my dawg bone.

Oh....and the more hate people throw the Cadets' way, the more bulletin board material they have. I think they'll come out on fire - literally - tonight and tomorrow. I hope so, because I think they have a phenomenal show, as does BD and several other of my faves this year.

Forgot to add that maybe we should all chip in and buy a Wholesale Drum Crusher - from the banner ad on the top of my DCP page for the last few weeks - for everyone who boos. Or just put them in one.

It is completely possible to protest a military action while not hating the actual soldiers forced to carry out those orders. The same thing applies here. The booing is a protest against the actions of the 'corps', but not against the marching members themselves. That much seems pretty clear and obvious to me. While some might not be able to understand it, I expect many are just trying to change the argument to stir the pot. It's just like the people supporting a military action that claim those in opposition want our soldiers to die and aren't patriotic. You're trying to change the argument into something completely different so you don't have to deal with the real issue.

Nope. Booing the performers who are on the field is the same as booing soldiers standing in line at an airport, NOT like protesting an administration and it's policies. Would you do that? Would you walk up to a group of soldiers, publically boo them, and then try and tell them it's not them, it's the Presdent? IMO that's a ridiculous thing to do.

I don't think it is right to boo marching members, no matter whether you consider them kids or adults. However, I think I can guess what happened.

Seems to me this was the culmination of a perfect storm, going back many years.

As I recall, Garfield had a T-shirt in the 80s that said something to the effect of "Garfield - State of the Art*", and in smaller print below that, "*Everything else is just drum corps." They seemed to have the attitude that they were playing a different game than everyone else - and in many years, they were. They are one of, if not my favorite drum corps. My list of top shows of all time is dominated by Cadets' shows. Still, I think there was some residual resentment from their attitude - an attitude that apparently exists to some degree today. You can't help but think that "what they believe" is that they are artists, and everything else is just drum corps.

Add to the mix the fact that they were allowed to leave delay their performance so the hashes could be re-striped. It just smacked of, "We're special, so we get special treatment."

Finally, we have a show which, based on everything I have read and heard, is technically outstanding - potentially championship quality. However, it has a serious design flaw - the narration. Some here will say that it is impossible to have effective narration, that it all should be banned. I don't think that's the case. If done properly, it can add to a show. However, at worse, it should be nothing more than a minor distraction. In Cadets' show, the narration is an integral part of the performance. As I understand it, the narration is conceived and delivered poorly. It's simply not good. Instead of adding to the show, it leaves many people annoyed or uncomfortable. It's frustrating for the viewer because, unlike drill, music, guard work, it wasn't a necessary design element that had to be there to enjoy the show. The drum corps part is great. The art is not. The viewer has been robbed of enjoying what would have otherwise been a wonderful experience, in this case to stroke the ego of the director.

Seems to me the offended fans' boos are what amounts to yelling "Down in front" to some guy standing up, blocking the performance.

The trouble is, the guy standing in the way of the performance is George Hopkins.

We're not the angry mob....the cadets rehearsal is going to be an angry mob today. Assuming they can channel this debacle into the correct kind of energy / emotion, there's going to be no stopping them. Thats a big if though. I'll see at brass warmups tonight...

Oh don't worry. They will channel this into positive energy. And I am gonna watch their rehearsal in about an hour to see how well they are preparing.

28 pages of combined threads... and I'm still puzzled as to what on earth is so important about a drum corps show that it would prompt anyone to boo a corps. Honestly, I'm stumped. Is it because they stopped to have the field re-lined? Is it because they speak during their show? That's all I can imagine, and really, that's the best you've got to be upset about?

Lol...i really appreciate this, especially coming from someone who is not a cadets fan normally :) . There's a corps I'm not a big fan of this year, and I still gave them a standing O, just like everyone else. :)