New Crown Brass Staff

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes judges have to be taught the difference in good and very good and what separates the two. Give them a little time and eventually they will understand again.

Personal opinion: (which means I am not trying to offend ANYONE, this is just what I have come to believe) 1) I am not a Crown fan. 2) Crown is loud and crowd pleasing, but the way their brass book is written is designed to emphasize "simpler" techniques that end up being crowd pleasing. This to me is one of the reasons they took 7th in brass, because judges judge how well it is in comparison to how hard it is. So even if they performed it well, if it was easier, that means it should have sounded better.

you silly goose...crown had the only book with more than two double-tongued notes in it...and around the whole hornline

I'm surprised Crown didn't get a 18.5 in brass at finals with Lo judging them.

Look, I'm not saying that they don't have a great sound, but let's not pretend that Lo was judging them every night. They did no better than 6th the other two nights in Finals week. When all corps competed, Carolina Crown rarely finished above 6th as it was, so why all this animosity directed at one judge? They were between 5-7 all summer in brass, regardless of the judge, so it sounds like the judging community was at least consistent across the board, rather than one judge looking to ruin a corps.

I'd be more inclined to give credit to this theory if Carolina Crown had been blowing everyone away all summer score-wise, only to slip to 7th on one night. THAT would indicate a particular bias, but I don't think Lo has that much pull with everyone else to tell them where they need to be putting Crown.

Why Carolina Crown's brass doesn't seem to get the numbers from the judges:

Average Ages:

1 Blue Devils 20.37

2 Santa Clara Vanguard 20.00

3 The Cavaliers 19.94

4 The Cadets 19.92

5 Blue Knights 19.86

6 Madison Scouts 19.86

7 Phantom Regiment 19.76

8 Colts 19.75

9 Bluecoats 19.72

10 Southwind 19.63

11 Carolina Crown 19.53

12 Spirit of JSU 19.48

13 Blue Stars 19.33

14 Pacific Crest 19.30

15 Crossmen 19.21

16 Glassmen 19.14

17 Boston Crusaders 19.00

18 Cascades 18.91

19 The Academy 18.72

20 Troopers 18.44

I don't recall the exact brass score, but look it up if you like. I do know that in 2003 when the majority of the current brass staff was put into place the brassline posted a score in Sevierville the first night out that was good enough for 22nd place in comparison to the rest of the Div I corps competing around the country at that time. That brassline made finals in Orlando. This is why the brass staff should stay.

I never said I didn't like Crown's sound. This was actually the first year I really liked their brass sound (04-06, not so much..but I think that more to do with their books too)

'ppreciate it.

I do know that in 2003 when the majority of the current brass staff was put into place the brassline posted a score in Sevierville the first night out that was good enough for 22nd place in comparison to the rest of the Div I corps competing around the country at that time. That brassline made finals in Orlando.

I'll never forget that night at retreat when we heard the score...