Phantom Regiment hires new drill designer

Just got an email from the corps re this new press release. Here's a snippet:

Alumnus Nick Scotella Joins 2008 Design Team

ROCKFORD (Oct. 2, 2007) - Phantom Regiment is pleased to announce the hiring of Nick Scotella as drill writer for the 2008 season.

Scotella, 28, has been involved in the drum and bugle corps activity for more than 10 years as a marching member, instructor and now designer.

He marched with Phantom Regiment as a mellophone player from 1997 to 2001 and was a member leader of the world-renowned hornline as horn sergeant in 2000 and 2001. He was a member of the visual staff in 2005 and 2007.

Edited by year1buick

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, could be the start of a great career - congrats to him on landing such a big job at a young age!

Wow, could be the start of a great career - congrats to him on landing such a big job at a young age!

Yeah, no kidding. What a gig! Definitely want to offer congrats and wish him and the corps good luck. (I'm sure we'll see great things)

While this may be a great opportunity for HIM, what, exactly, does it mean for the corps? To me, to continue the "great tradition" of the corps is not necessarily a good thing. I was hoping more for, "Looking to move in a new direction visually."

RM - just too cynical I guess

ampssuck

though it put a lot of (appreciated) demand on the performers, i personally liked the '07 drill, especially relatively to some of their other visual programs. not much featuring/integration of the guard, but i admittedly dont mind too much....the simultaneous demand put on the performers really came through and was an effect in itself, imo.

While this may be a great opportunity for HIM, what, exactly, does it mean for the corps? To me, to continue the "great tradition" of the corps is not necessarily a good thing. I was hoping more for, "Looking to move in a new direction visually."

ampssuck

I was wondering that very same thing as well.

hey... there's a lot to be said for giving new drill designers their chance. I'm sure Phantom wouldn't just be giving some nobody this job... They obviously know what he's done and believe that he's capable of putting out some good drill. More power to him, as far as I'm concerned.

ampssuck

I thought the drill the last three years has been the most solid at PR in years (say, since 93-94).

Any word on whether Jamey Thompson left on his own? I can only assume he did. Any official word on where he has landed?

ampssuck

I totally agree with Rocketman...

I marched when Nick was Horn Sargent....he has a really strong sense of character and is a great leader, but a top program like Regiment is at a point where it cant lose momentum giving new blood "a shot" at visual design.

Regardless I hope everything turns out well.