Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

I went to a high school band show. It was pretty apparent that most of the folks just clapped for their (kids') band.

Were those bandos RUDE?

The sense of entitlement on DCP is stifling...

I clap if I want, or not. I boo if I want, or not.

Peddle your entitlement swill to someone who cares what you "think".

I think you've got it backwards. Those of us who think there's something worth applauding in every show aren't peddling entitlement. It's you who think your singular opinions are so important that you can't clap who are the ones who feel entitled.

As I said before, any performance can be seen as both accomplishment and offense. Those of us who choose to applaud all performances are choosing to acknowledge the accomplishement irrespective of any offense or indifferent opinion. The entitled class can only be those for whom the perceived offense demands self-expression of the sort that ignores any accomplishment. Bah humbug indeed. There is something, even if it's just one thing, in every drum corps show that's worth a clap.

HH

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jared, you and I obviously disagree on this, and that's cool. Maybe my reason for not clapping is a little different than others. As I have said before, I just do not like to outwardly express my feelings that way. I do not have a "lack of empathy" nor am I "voicing my disapproval" with what I saw and heard. I find it interesting that some performing members feel the need to be "validated" for their performance. That is why I said earlier that I could care less if I ended a performance to the sound of silence. I guess I just didn't need that validation that what I just did was to the best of my ability after three months of solid practice. Just like after a day's work I don't expect my boss to come up to me before I leave and praise me for a good job. Or when I was in school I didn't expect the professor to shake my hand after every class and tell me I had an excellent class.

I hope you dont mind me saying that you are the first former drum corps member I have met that did not care what kind of reaction they received from the fans while performing a show. Its interesting because it is the first thing I miss about not being in a drum corps.......its the connection (energy) between the corps and crowd that makes the drum corps experience so special.

I just don't like to be told that I HAVE to do something when I don't.

I never implied that you can't do what you want to do. I will just think you are rude if I did not see you clap once during a drum corps show. I would also wonder why you attended the show at all........

Here's a good sports analogy. I just saw "We Are Marshall" last week for the first time. The team at the beginning of the movie was like any other winning, title-contending team where the most important thing was winning. The team at the end of the movie was a team for which the most important thing was that they play the game in the first place. I think these two teams and these two situations require two different sets of applause etiquette. The pre-crash Marshall football team got cheers when they won, and probably not many when they lost. The post-crash Marshall team got cheers just for their effort, regardless of win or loss.

Perhaps the applause etiquette could change with different levels of drum corps too? We don't have to have one set of rules to cover the entire activity, do we? The Blue Devils don't really get the same treatment as Blue Devils C, do they?

This is probably the best analogy I've seen out of this whole thread.

I'm going to clap, or I'm not going to, and that's completely up to me. In certain situations, I agree that it would be mostly appropriate for everyone to clap, but I respect a person's decision to not clap if that's what they deem appropriate for that specific situation. To say that you must clap, or that you must do anything, or that you're being disrespectful for doing this or for not doing that lies too close to moral absolutism for my tastes.

Every corps, no matter the subject or content of their show, has put a superhuman amount of effort into performing the #### out of their show. That, in and of itself, deserves a standing ovation. When I see a drum corps show, I stand up after every performance.

I agree 100%. This was true for me even before I marched and understood it firsthand.

I haven't read the preceeding pages. But back in the day, you actually knew when a corps show was ending. There was a 2 minute gun at a minimum. But there also a corps traditional ending or some sort of reprise encapsulating most things already done in the show. So you knew the show was ending. These days, the corps could be halfway out the exit tunnel before you realized the show was over. Is it really polite to clap once they've already exited the field? OMG, I didn't realize they were done? Oh well... And it seems like the next corps is already on the field before the previous corps has exited. So are you clapping for the previous corps, or the new corps at that point?

So, here's a new twist on the question:

If you buy a ticket and choose to spend half the show "in the lot" and ignore the first few corps - thus depriving them of your presence, attention, and applause in the stands - is that rude?

In my opinion, yes, but I also see the appeal of the lot. I also remember what it's like to get in the zone with people watching and it's a gas. So, I'm not going to complain much about people in the lot because everyone enjoys a corps show the way they want to.

Truth is, every corps get applause, and it doesn't really matter what the fans in the stand think of people who don't clap. (and yes, I've not clapped - probably three times in 20 years, and those times were for shows from top 3 corps who got plenty of applause with or without mine. I always clap for lower tier corps ...while noticing the empty seats all around me.)

Edited by TerriTroop