OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

I need to reconnect with a few from my corps as well. Like James Hensley, Darrin Brooks, Tina Day, Tom Andrews and Dallas Hadden.

But I don't think any of them are the type to own a computer. :(

Oops wrong thread.

Edited by GrewvyG2

Could be an ad for the movie "Hairspray". Looks like a nice bunch of people, though!!! :unsure: Smile, Mr. drummer on the left!! Everybody else looks so happy!

And it begs me to ask the question again: "How the heck could those girls get their hair up under their shakos? I know a few years later with my afro it took like ten minutes to get mine on. Once it was on, it was on until the end of our show. Same ordeal before retreat.

Out of uniform:At17Puppet.jpg

On the field:PuppetOnTheMove.jpg

Yeah, and I know these aren't the best shots in the world.

But I started this thread so you could share yours, too.

Sooooooooo…

Puppet

And it begs me to ask the question again: "How the heck could those girls get their hair up under their shakos?

Two words: 'hair nets!' I remember even in our local standstills, the girls all had to wear hair nets to avoid getting ticks off on appearance. This was especially true in the standstill color guard contests which stressed military bearing, appearance, and the military Manual of Arms. Oh, and dozens of bobby pins saw action on those occasions also.

I'll never forget the first time one of the guys in the drum section was told he needed to wear a hair net! Needless to say he was NOT happy!

Our chaperones were never without their pointy-ended combs at showtime. Even after the time of personal inspections, they would walk behind us at lineup, poking our hairs up into our shakos.

They became affectionately known as the Mother Tuckers.

Our chaperones were never without their pointy-ended combs at showtime. Even after the time of personal inspections, they would walk behind us at lineup, poking our hairs up into our shakos.

They became affectionately known as the Mother Tuckers.

lolol I think St. Rita's (one of my all time FAVE corps, btw), must have used bricks to bring the hair down - Puppet, that is one serious Angela Davis 'fro. Kudos for getting that hair under a shako!! You guys at World Open had me hoarse from screaming! (The protest show).

Y'all and Des Plaines Vanguard. Also loved CMCC and a little corps called the "Chessmen". They had a dude tossing a rifle that would fly up and hit airplanes! We competed against them in class "B", and I think we actually finished ahead of them. This would have been around 1970. Oshkosh Warriors won "B" that year. They were clearly an "A" corps. Oh well.

And I mean like candid shot of us kids at practice or rehearsals.

Fridayrehearsals.jpg

And you have to know it's the late sixties very early seventies! The guy with the hair? He's Nunzio Virgilio - Bari, Euphonium, Contra.

Wow Great Picture ! - That's drum corps !

Two words: 'hair nets!' I remember even in our local standstills, the girls all had to wear hair nets to avoid getting ticks off on appearance. This was especially true in the standstill color guard contests which stressed military bearing, appearance, and the military Manual of Arms. Oh, and dozens of bobby pins saw action on those occasions also.

I'll never forget the first time one of the guys in the drum section was told he needed to wear a hair net! Needless to say he was NOT happy!

Our guard always wore hairnets.

Guys had no need for them. We had a date, I think May 1, were we had to be "uniform-ready"...NO hair hanging over our collars or over our ears...no sideburns...actually no facial hair of any sort.

I remember the inspections of early 1970's. The hair, yes, however, I also remember polishing boots and shoes alot. We all had our own shoe polish in our kit bags. Also, we dreaded the wind as that one piece of lint may adhere to the dark pants.

The Alberta All Girls did not compete in Europe in 1977. Our style was to let the hair down. Photo of relaxing before a performance. We had orange and white uniforms. Most times we wore all white, sometimes orange for the guard, white for the rest. Note the lady second from your right is the older sister of page 3 of this forum, post #24.

1977-10-a.jpg