A: Competitive Inertia

A little birdie told me I should post about this before the end of the season, with Boston "slotted" in 2nd right now. Let me be clear:

Boston HAS NO SHOT AT A CHAMPIONSHIP THIS YEAR, NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE.

Very few judges will have the "courage" to place them above BD whenever the caption is VERY CLOSE, even close enough in Boston's favor. Granted, Cologuard has been a competitive area for Boston recently...they've built up the inertia already, to the point where they HAVE beaten BD before (even prior years), and it's been indisputable. CI only comes into the conversation when it's disputable; when it's excruciatingly close.

And let's be real: Boston HAS earned A LOT of Competitive Inertia ever since they paid for the super-star staff...all of whom had already built it up from their careers prior! That's why they've risen so fast since then! All Good! Boston HAS improved and deserves to be in the conversation! They've had consistent leadership in all aspects. They are doing everything right in the Competitive Inertia model. Unfortunately, CI also means they'll have to wait another year, be even better than this year, and hope BD has an off-year. (BD literally OWNS Competitive Inertia.)

For CI to be debunked, one or all of the following must happen:
1) Instead of "tie goes to the CI," it'll have to start going to the "underdog" (highly unlikely...the judge's job is too difficult to play it that way...much easier/safer to stick to the tried-n-true...the CI.)
2) Someone has to win without first coming in 2nd or 3rd in a prior year. 

If anything, Boston 2022 is adding more credence to CI. I'd love it if they proved me wrong. However, my current opinion is they need to be more worried about corps below them than above.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

If anything, Boston 2022 is adding more credence to CI. I'd love it if they proved me wrong. However, my current opinion is they need to be more worried about corps below them than above.

This has been my concern and exactly why I keep telling corps slotted 2-4 are lacking the consistency of BD.... guess what I was really talking about was CI. Thanks for this!

Heh. I figured this would spring up.  

The make or break on this theory is part of what makes BAC’s run up the ranks this year exciting for me. 

But I do think you’re still on target. BAC will medal this year then come out to win in the next two. 

Bloo’s trajectory was this way too. 

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

Boston HAS NO SHOT AT A CHAMPIONSHIP THIS YEAR, NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE.

This is SO wrong. If Boston was better than BD Boston would be beating BD. Nothing to do with this silly competitive inertia theory and everything to do with BD being the best corps. If you are the best corps, you win, regardless of who you are or where you have placed before.

Corps that have placed outside of the top 6 have won in the past. Those corps won because they had the right design and the corps with the talent to back it up (Vanguard '81 <7th to 1st>, Madison '88 <6th to 1st>). Those units had long standing staffs and years of teamwork. We've also seen plenty for corps go from 4th one year to 1st the next. Madison, a corps who placed in the top 3 once between 1976 and 1987 certainly had no competitive inertia. Rather everything hit in the most perfect way that led them to the win in '88 - best design of the year, fan favorite, talent. Plenty of corps have won without placing 2nd or 3rd the prior year.

The reason why corps that are new to the top 5 don't jump from 5th to 1st or 4th to 1st is because it takes time to build that team and build that talent and experience. Boston is a great example of this. Their design, their brass and their percussion have caught up to the talent of the guard and the design of the guard book. The team has several years of experience as a team under their belts now. Things are starting to gel. Everything is top notch. It's impossible to jump (if you're new to the top 5) from 5th to 1st or 4th to 1st because it takes everything you have and the kitchen sink to win, and beat BD.

I agree Boston will probably not win, but it has everything to do with BD being the best and Boston not being the best than some competitive inertia theory. The judges aren't going to screw over 150 hardworking kids because they haven't placed in the top 3 before. God, I wish they'd win just to put this theory to bed for once and for all.

Edited by henry7184

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This has been my concern and exactly why I keep telling corps slotted 2-4 are lacking the consistency of BD.... guess what I was really talking about was CI. Thanks for this!

You were right the first time - the corps in the 2-5 placements lack the across caption consistency that BD has. 

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

But the argument is that you can't have on-field consistency without CI right? Or am I mixing up the concept?

It's too silly to bother with further. I just can't with this. I should have just stayed out of it.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I agree Boston will probably not win, but it has everything to do with BD being the best and Boston not being the best than some competitive inertia theory. The judges aren't going to screw over 150 hardworking kids because they haven't placed in the top 3 before. God, I wish they'd win just to put this theory to bed for once and for all.

Okay I think I'm seeing where you're parting ways with OP. And I think I misunderstood CI in general.

What I'm trying to argue I think is closer to your point:

That you can't have consistency on the field without building the WHOLE organization up for it over the most recent, say 3-5 years, or so. BD's been doing exactly that and is likely emerging the organizational victor post-pandemic shut downs. That's a huge boon for the MMs. I couldn't be happier about that.

Other corps don't have this consistency at the organization level, period. And it shows.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 2