A: Competitive Inertia

3 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I can recite a list of judges certain corps would like to see or not see on Finals night. It gets to the point where you can look at the panel and make your predictions.

Some groups get 'Torched'.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That one is at the top of my list lol

• Haha 2

For those of us that have been around these parts for a long while, it is fun to see new people go through the process of coming to terms with CI every year. It's a theory that currently holds. Some day it may not. But until then, it is accurate.  Don't take it personally. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I've seen BD win guard on Sat night because of the judge multiple times (1986 for one).  Who the judge is has a big effect on those final few tenths.

I don’t think BAC has anything to worry about with guard scores on finals or any other night, TBH, because if the competitive inertia theory holds true for anything, it’s subcaption dynasties. If anything, I think it’s BAC guard, not BD, that’s in “benefit of the doubt” position with judges (not that they need the boost). They’re the hot ticket, and for now, the Zingali is theirs to lose. 

I’d worry more about the percussion judge, because BAC’s line has a real shot, but they haven’t “proven” themselves the way the guard has, and a judge inclined to reward a more consistent champ has a very strong SCV line to favor. And when BAC’s brass starts consistently dominating in a season, it’ll be the same thing, but with Crown.

That’s if you believe in any of this, of course. 🙂

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

i lol’ed

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I can recite a list of judges certain corps would like to see or not see on Finals night. It gets to the point where you can look at the panel and make your predictions.

Yes.......and it's not a new thing  🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

i lol’ed

I encourage this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I've seen BD win guard on Sat night because of the judge multiple times (1986 for one).  Who the judge is has a big effect on those final few tenths.

Or maybe the guard judge in 1986 thought BD was the best guard. I certainly won't disagree with that assessment.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 3:44 PM, Sideways said:

More or less this…BD is big, loud, and clean but otherwise meh.  Everyone else still has some gaps.  I don’t get the vibe this is an unbeatable juggernaut BD program. outside of GE BD has been vulnerable across all captions…let’s see if anyone 2-5 is going to step it up these last two weeks.

Very few posters i have seen have declared this an unbeatable juggernaut BD program.  I can think of one or two who said they think they will go undefeated, but can’t think of one who called them a juggernaut (unless we count you?). 

2 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Very few posters i have seen have declared this an unbeatable juggernaut BD program.  I can think of one or two who said they think they will go undefeated, but can’t think of one who called them a juggernaut (unless we count you?). 

It's no Felliniesque year but it has a solid chance of running the table.

The difference would be in 2014, BD was competing against themselves...the additions and refinement were driven by an internal desire to show just how far they could go. 

2022 BD's additions and refinement seem to be much more driven by those nipping at their heels and the need to do what they do so well to keep that streak running.

The end result may be another undefeated season, but the drivers behind the chase feel entirely different.  

• Thanks 2