A: Competitive Inertia

1 minute ago, WarriorWay said:

The problem with Boston beating BD is that BD has more content this year - it is pretty clear as day.

As far as achievement goes they’re very close thanks to their “expensive staff.”

I have trouble with the numbers sometimes...

...but wasn't there a big gap between Boston's book (very high) and their achievement? That's why I've been so eager to see them clean up. Or am I misunderstanding something?

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Holy Resurrected Thread Batman!  

No kidding. 15 years ago I was still NotSoOldAfterAllSnareDrummer and still had a little bit of hair. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This has been my concern and exactly why I keep telling corps slotted 2-4 are lacking the consistency of BD.... guess what I was really talking about was CI. Thanks for this!

More or less this…BD is big, loud, and clean but otherwise meh.  Everyone else still has some gaps.  I don’t get the vibe this is an unbeatable juggernaut BD program. outside of GE BD has been vulnerable across all captions…let’s see if anyone 2-5 is going to step it up these last two weeks.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Corps that have placed outside of the top 6 have won in the past. Those corps won because they had the right design and the corps with the talent to back it up (Vanguard '81 <7th to 1st>, Madison '88 <6th to 1st>). Those units had long standing staffs and years of teamwork. We've also seen plenty for corps go from 4th one year to 1st the next. Madison, a corps who placed in the top 3 once between 1976 and 1987 certainly had no competitive inertia. Rather everything hit in the most perfect way that led them to the win in '88 - best design of the year, fan favorite, talent. Plenty of corps have won without placing 2nd or 3rd the prior year.

Those are all past champions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sideways said:

More or less this…BD is big, loud, and clean but otherwise meh.  Everyone else still has some gaps.  I don’t get the vibe this is an unbeatable juggernaut BD program. outside of GE BD has been vulnerable across all captions…let’s see if anyone 2-5 is going to step it up these last two weeks.

I appreciate this.

Yes, when I harp on BD's consistency it's never to shut the other corps out of striking range for 1st. Hardly... and you don't know SC if you think we don't root for our rival's rival every so often. It's only fair! And we know how to do that with class by always giving BD credit when it's due. In 22, it's 100% due.

BUT, I harp on BD's consistency also to clarify that they use that as a weapon to wear everyone else down. I've been on the receiving end and I would totally do the same! I assume BD takes pride in this consistency, as it should be! I also harp on it because it behooves BAC, Crown, and Bloo to keep this in mind if they want a real fighting chance.

SC alum know our friends across the bay well. I'm trying to give corps 2-4 one of the keys to the kingdom. 😉

I’m also consistent in saying SCV is a sleeping giant this year but by design…in order for their comp and effect numbers to soar it has to be done perfectly.  Hope it gets there but I don’t know at this point.

• Like 1