A: Competitive Inertia

CI is nolonger a theory.....it is fact! And (as you say Bruckner) it is nolonger an issue for Crown, they paid that bill a while back. Now it's up to two things for Crown: Show design of CC and Show design of everyone else. Crown would have been champ this year if BD had not put that monster of a design on the field. CC needs a monster and the title is theirs. As much as I liked their 09 and 12 shows....CC's monster was 07 (it just needed the sheets to support it).

I know many will argue about the sheets and who works them.....but I honestly believe that the design wins it...period,...and then the sheets become the rationale. That is to say, percussion, guard, brass and even execution are the ticket to ride....without them there's no chance....but design is the difference. For that same reason, PR 08 had to win....because it had the monster, the sheets became the rationale. BD had a groundbreaking design and a champion on any other year....but PR had the monster. Same for Cadets 11....monster all the way!

This is now the Monster Corollary to the CI Theory.

First you need to finish in the top 3 to qualify - then you need a Monster to win.

Interesting.

Does that mean that if CC were to do the 2007 show right NOW completely the same with the same execution level, they would win? I mean I thought that show should've been no lower than 4th, but I would not have put it ahead of what BD and Cadets put out that year in anyway shape or form.

I think 2008 was CC's monster, but it had to share the spotlight with some gladiator kid and I think that hurt it's competitive chances down the stretch.

No.... that's the point. CC didn't have the sheets to support that remarkable production. Most people see BD's winning in reverse of the reality. They think it's all about execution and skill level of the sections. It's not... it's about the vehicle, the design. They had remarkable execution last year, just no monster.

And, IMO they know if they have a monster design when it's being wickered together in pre-season or from a seed of an idea from years before that formulates. It's exactly like writing a song....there's a moment when the song writer hears it in his/her head and says "holy crap, that's a monster/hit". Then the hard work of building it and governing the smultz / cheese out and building the flow in. This is the moment/place where monsters can die.....collaborators fail each other and add too much and bleed the impact away. Music first....visual first? It's an amalgam. Then the staff takes the books and drills them like crazy, this is another very critical break point and if the books don't feed the monster.....it falls short, and everyone says 'too bad" or "they were dirty" or this or that caption failed. THAT, is what happeded to CC07....the book and the execution didn't feed the monster.

So IMO...if the CC07 design was performed by CC12.....win!

NOTE: Not every season has a monster, when that happens it's left up to the sheets completely.......... and the season is meh!

Edited by Plan9

OP asks a good question, and all I can say is that the same corps winning almost every year is boring as ####. Imagine if one NFL team won the SB as frequently as Devils win DCI. People would stop watching, that's for sure. Hmmm.........

I can see why lots of folks get bored with the competitive side of DCI. For me I enjoy the shows waaaay more than the actual scores/competition. If you want more competition, tell the other corps to get better! :tongue: I don't think it has anything to do really with the judging system per say - BD clearly had the best performed show on the field this year. Either Phantom or Crown or even SCV could have won if they had been clean enough.

• 11 months later...

Safe for another year. Crown finally made it, after some Top 3 placements in years prior (thus holding up the theory). The only corps allowed to win that haven't are Bluecoats (2010), Troopers (1973) and Blue Stars (1972, 1973).

But to debunk the theory, someone else will have to win w/o first placing in the top 3. Who is most likely to do that? Boston? Spirit?

• Like 2

Safe for another year. Crown finally made it, after some Top 3 placements in years prior (thus holding up the theory). The only corps allowed to win that haven't are Bluecoats (2010), Troopers (1973) and Blue Stars (1972, 1973).

But to debunk the theory, someone else will have to win w/o first placing in the top 3. Who is most likely to do that? Boston? Spirit?

I feel like maybe there should be some sort of limitation based on time.

• Like 2

So here's an idea.

If the competitive part of the activity is such a thorn in the side of what seems to be the majority of the fans, then let them compete and be judged. But. after each competition the corps are given notes per their performance that night but no scores. The notes could be structured so as to imply how well the corps did, but no numerical ranking implied. There would be a polling of the fans to determine who they think should have won. At the end of the season, a numerical ranking would be announced just prior to Finals week. The finals competitions would be ranked and announced each night, with the winners being awarded their medals on Finals night.

The point being to eliminate all the angst the fans seem to go through during the season concerning their favorite corps being treated unfairly. If in fact the fans are as important as they say they are, and it is a spectators sport, and the judging being so unfair as so many seem to think it is, then it would be interesting to see how many attend. I would be willing to bet attendance would drop considerably. Then what?????

Would be an interesting experiment.

Edited by eric49
  • Like 2

As no new corps are being added, I agree. SCV and Scouts have not finished top 3 in a decade and could do it.

The theory is based on the momentum needed to become a first-time champion. It no longer applies to SCV and Scouts.

No.... that's the point. CC didn't have the sheets to support that remarkable production. Most people see BD's winning in reverse of the reality. They think it's all about execution and skill level of the sections. It's not... it's about the vehicle, the design. They had remarkable execution last year, just no monster.

Back in '08, I had a conversation with a DCI BoD member while watching Semis, who told me that according to their member surveys, the corps with the highest average age won every year they tracked the data. Now, that was 5 years ago, so I don't know if it's held up, but if so - it just really might be about the execution and skill level of the sections.

mike