A: Competitive Inertia

I wait for the resurrection of this post every year. :inlove:

No Thread Inertia present... haha

No matter how great the CI theory thread might be, I refuse to acknowledge the actual theory until it is posted in an "Open Letter to ..." format.

Sorry.

• Like 4

CI is nolonger a theory.....it is fact! And (as you say Bruckner) it is nolonger an issue for Crown, they paid that bill a while back. Now it's up to two things for Crown: Show design of CC and Show design of everyone else. Crown would have been champ this year if BD had not put that monster of a design on the field. CC needs a monster and the title is theirs. As much as I liked their 09 and 12 shows....CC's monster was 07 (it just needed the sheets to support it).

I know many will argue about the sheets and who works them.....but I honestly believe that the design wins it...period,...and then the sheets become the rationale. That is to say, percussion, guard, brass and even execution are the ticket to ride....without them there's no chance....but design is the difference. For that same reason, PR 08 had to win....because it had the monster, the sheets became the rationale. BD had a groundbreaking design and a champion on any other year....but PR had the monster. Same for Cadets 11....monster all the way!

CI is nolonger a theory.....it is fact! And (as you say Bruckner) it is nolonger an issue for Crown, they paid that bill a while back. Now it's up to two things for Crown: Show design of CC and Show design of everyone else. Crown would have been champ this year if BD had not put that monster of a design on the field. CC needs a monster and the title is theirs. As much as I liked their 09 and 12 shows....CC's monster was 07 (it just needed the sheets to support it).

I know many will argue about the sheets and who works them.....but I honestly believe that the design wins it...period,...and then the sheets become the rationale. That is to say, percussion, guard, brass and even execution are the ticket to ride....without them there's no chance....but design is the difference. For that same reason, PR 08 had to win....because it had the monster, the sheets became the rationale. BD had a groundbreaking design and a champion on any other year....but PR had the monster. Same for Cadets 11....monster all the way!

Slowly, but surely we are moving into an era where its increasingly the show designers that are being judged for placements more than the actual performers and their execution and performance levels on the field of competition..... especially by Finals week, where most Corps have reasonably cleaned up the dirt in their show from earlier in the season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Slowly, but surely we are moving into an era where its increasingly the show designers that are being judged for placements more than the actual performers and their execution and performance levels on the field of competition..... especially by Finals week, where most Corps have reasonably cleaned up the dirt in their show from earlier in the season.

I think we've already been there for awhile.

• Like 1

Why would anyone show up to watch such a non-competitive event, where the outcome is already determined?

That the sheets changed, but the outcome didn't is mildly troublesome.

Ain't that the truth !!

I saw the DCI championships in Minneapolis 5 weeks ago. Nothing changed. Okay, to be technically correct..... Very Little changed. For the corps members of the corps not in first place, it must be disconcerting. Or maybe they're bought into the dream that "on any given night" and all that. That dream stopped being real after about the 1974 finals. Phantom's win in 2008 by 0.0000000001 notwithstanding.

Just a great post.

(I just agreed with Plan9. Buy a lottery ticket and watch out for lightning.)

I belive that its both teaching staff AND experienced returning or new members with experience. This is why top 8/9 corps do better. They get members with experience from other corps, and those other corps have to deal with 20/30/40/ new unexperienced members every year...they don't have a chance in getting ahead.

Does that mean that if CC were to do the 2007 show right NOW completely the same with the same execution level, they would win? I mean I thought that show should've been no lower than 4th, but I would not have put it ahead of what BD and Cadets put out that year in anyway shape or form.

I think 2008 was CC's monster, but it had to share the spotlight with some gladiator kid and I think that hurt it's competitive chances down the stretch.