SO......what do you do?

It was a long day, Frank, and I couldn't sleep!

Looking forward to Saturday. Good luck at MCA!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in......

My title is "Media Consultant" for Yellow Book USA. I am actually an advertising sales rep. We work with just about every local business you could think of. Auto repair, strippers, attys, insurance reps, restaurants, the butcher, the baker and the candle stick maker. Basically we help them promote their business in a very new technology........ the phone book. Yep, people still use that thing!!! We also develope ad campaigns through google and partners for local searches. Everyday is an adventure!!!

Elphaba said:

"I could tell you, my pretties, but then you would have to be destroyed by me."

Wsssb commented:

"The passive voice is something that should not be used by someone."

If memory serves me, Elphaba did not use passive voice. She used the Present Perfect Conditional tense in the active voice.

I believe the passive voice construction would be something like: "But then, you would have to have been destroyed by me." And in this context, it would not be necessary to use passive voice, which she did not. It's been awhile since I taught this stuff, so I could be wrong.

Sorry to digress from the thread, but Wssb's off-topic comment puzzled me. You can take the English teacher out of the classroom, but you can't take the classroom out of the teacher.

Now, back to the careers!

To be truly in the active voice, the statement should simply say,

"If I told you, my pretties, I would have to destroy you!"

Two things to support wsssb's grammatical claim:

1) Any verb preceded by "be" and ending with "-ed" becomes passive and not active (i.e., "… be destroyed …"). I think wsssb made a joke with his own sentence because he, too, used the passive voice: "… be used …"

2) The moment the supposed subject is placed at the end with "… by _____," it becomes passive. Once again, wsssb repeats the passive voice with "… by someone."

However, in all fairness to Elphaba, when I read Elphaba's statement, I believe it is appropriately done with dramatic flair, with particular emphasis on the "you" and "by me" and ending with a diabolical laugh. (Can you just hear it?!)

End of my own claim for grammatical correctness. Anyone's support of this would be appreciated by me. :tongue: LOL

Huge digression ... :tongue: Now back to the original, scheduled program …

I attended Eastman School of Music in Rochester back in the day but, soon realized that there weren't many gigs for a female trumpet player unless you wanted to teach. I wanted to play.

I became a Registered Nurse and have spent my life working in Emergency Rooms, Critical Care, and Trauma Units. Don't have a nerve left in my body that hasn't been fried. I think I've retired but, I miss the adrenalin rush of bringing someone back from the brink.

I attended Eastman School of Music in Rochester back in the day but, soon realized that there weren't many gigs for a female trumpet player unless you wanted to teach. I wanted to play.

I became a Registered Nurse and have spent my life working in Emergency Rooms, Critical Care, and Trauma Units. Don't have a nerve left in my body that hasn't been fried. I think I've retired but, I miss the adrenalin rush of bringing someone back from the brink.

Here's an idea Carol....and maybe it's a bit out there, but.....

Since you still want to play.....and you miss the adrenalin rush of the emergency rooms, critial care, and trauma units.....

Bring that trumpet into the emergency room....and keep a running total of how many people you can bring "back from the brink" playing that horn in there!!! :tongue:

Edited by FPonzo

Here's an idea Carol....and maybe it's a bit out there, but.....

Since you still want to play.....and you miss the adrenalin rush of the emergency rooms, critial care, and trauma units.....

Bring that trumpet into the emergency room....and keep a running total of how many people you can bring "back from the brink" playing that horn in there!!! :tongue:

Let's try it a different way, Frank. She brings the horn into the ER. She places the mouthpiece to the lips of the soon-to-be dearly departed. And then, while she's pounding away on this poor guy's chest, she records what comes out of the bell of the horn.

Would certainly make for an interesting shift in the ER....

HAH! You wouldn't believe what I've seen coming out of the mouths of patients while doing CPR.

At this point, if I ever played my horn in the ER, I'd probably attract a moose in mating frenzy!

My Mother always said my playing would wake the dead!

HAH! You wouldn't believe what I've seen coming out of the mouths of patients while doing CPR.

At this point, if I ever played my horn in the ER, I'd probably attract a moose in mating frenzy!

My Mother always said my playing would wake the dead!

If your mother is correct, then you could make a bundle working as a consultant in various ER's.

Just grab your horn and make the rounds. You'd be rich before midnight.

Just grab your horn and make the rounds. You'd be rich before midnight.

Or at least get to know the security staff at each ER. :worthy:

As close as we live to our hospital we'd probably hear Carol playing. Would be better then when the Life Lion (Penn State Medical) Medic helicopters buzz the house. :lol: Nothing like hearing a loud engine and seeing the butt end of a helicopter thru the living room window.

Or at least get to know the security staff at each ER. :lol:

As close as we live to our hospital we'd probably hear Carol playing. Would be better then when the Life Lion (Penn State Medical) Medic helicopters buzz the house. :worthy: Nothing like hearing a loud engine and seeing the butt end of a helicopter thru the living room window.

how about hanging out the side of the helicopter,with a machine gun,and for extra fun,you are being shot at? there is a reason we sat on our helmets,when taking a ride in a huey!!!!! :lol: (viet-nam,the only lottery i ever won,the draft lottery.the prize really sucked!!!)