Most difficult trumpet feature

Phantom 1987 The opening statement to their Swan Lake/Nut Cracker show. I guess most of the hornline played, but it was impressive. I think that was the first year of the all white uniforms too, btw...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember which year it was, but I believe it was the mid-1980s when Blue Devils had a soprano feature that sounded impossible to play. I think they did that sort of thing two or three years in-a-row. Anyone know what I'm specifically remembering?

82-83 sop feature in TO.

By today's standards it does not hold up. In fact this years BD line has some wicked ensemble wide unison licks that blow the doors off that feature.

However, at the time that feature was pushing the limits. It was performed by the entire line of 24 sops and individuals were tested frequently with the threat of being cut. To this day I have never rehearsed anything more than that feature and still know the articulations. Dot deyot deyaa dot deya dowee do dot. :tongue:

I remember a couple years later Phantom had a sop feature in which the section had shirts made with the music on it. They always went on before us so I don't remember hearing it but there were a lot of notes. :tongue:

Phantom opener 1984.

done.

Scythian Suite- That was the first one that popped into my my mind as well. Glad I wasn't the only one.

I've always been amazed by the control that a couple of BD 96 soloists demonstrated in some pretty tough licks.

One of those soloist is now the Visual Caption Head at Boston

Dot deyot deyaa dot deya dowee do dot. :tongue:

So THAAATSS where gino gets it from..... :tongue:

Some people make a big deal out of playing hard parts on the old P/R bugles and I don't think it was that hard. The valve/slide was a challenge at times.

The hardest part was that the music had to be written so high to get around the missing lower notes. I think hornlines play in a more sane register these days.

Some people make a big deal out of playing hard parts on the old P/R bugles and I don't think it was that hard. The valve/slide was a challenge at times.

The hardest part was that the music had to be written so high to get around the missing lower notes. I think hornlines play in a more sane register these days.

I think this is another one of the reasons for the unique sound of the G horns. There a certain "thickness" that comes with playing in the upper register of a (relatively) low-pitched horn. See also: french horn.