Announcer Slip-Ups

Some of you will remember the years of the infamous PRIZE PATROL. In order to generate excitement in the stands, the show announcer would call out seat numbers, the occupants of which were recipients of various DCI-related prizes and merchandise. During finals week in Madison (I can't remember the year) the crowd grew rather weary of hearing Brandt Crocker continually announce the aforementioned "Prize Patrol" and began to mockishly chime in with him whenever the call was issued. In response, Mr. Crocker began to come up with different/innovative ways of announcing the promotion, one of which was "booty call!" Methinks Brandt wasn't quite sure of the meaning of that phrase.

prize patrol :thumbup:

"PLEASE WELCOME THE IMPULSE DRUG AND BAGEL BAND!!!"

somewhere in the midwest.....

Wow that is one of the best yet!

Sioux Falls, SD 2007:

As the Colt Cadets are coming off the field the announcer says "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Colt Ca-DITS from Dubuque Iowa"

how can you pronounce "cadets" wrong?

...I had met up with some friends of mine...twin sisters, Cindy and Cheryl who were quite famous in our day as the "Florida Wave Twins"....
OMG, I remember them. They were really cute. I remember when I went to Florida for the All-Star Corps parade after the '88 season, one of them came to watch us rehearse and she actually remembered me and said "Hi". I never did get to know either of them though. My loss. Also in '87 when we were at DCI South, a few of us were sitting in the back stands and they came and sat a few rows behind us. I really wish I had the 'nads to talk to them.

Don't worry about it dude, they liked the Crossmen drummers anyway. You wouldn't have had a chance!

:smile: :smile: :thumbup::smile:

very first show of the season. definitely brought laughs for the entire season. while he didn't mess everything up, ALL of these happened while we were marching onto the field:

"Carolina Crown is presenting their 2008 prog-a-ram, fee-nis." --happened 1 out of 4 shows--

"Their show entails the following folks:

... Tocatta and fugle by bake

clair de lune by da-bus-ey

hun-gyr-an rhapsody by lizz-it

festival overture by shots-a-cove-itch

19....1812 overture by che-co....chek.... tri-coav-a-ski??"

don't know if he messed anything else up. we were all laughing too hard after that last one

-along with during various encore performances throughout the season, the request of "Freebird!!" was heard quite a bit

In 1992 on the DCI broadcast Curt Gowdy called Star of Indiana "The Kansas City Star" which I believe is a newspaper.

"Broadcast Blunders":

1978's Pete Emmons press box live broadcast "Review" of Santa Clara's Finals performance as "Not as solid as I had hoped it would be". Turns out Santa Clara WON that Championship.

Elphaba

First contest I ever saw, July 4, 1979, Evanston, Illinois. Joe Bruno announced them as "The Saginaires, from Saginaire Michigan!!!"

Edited by tommytimp

A couple of years ago we (Pioneer) were doing an exhibition for a local marching band circut to hopefully spark interest in the corps for future years and the band announcer asked if we were ready like this. Note: Alex Wilga was our Drum Major.

Drum Corps Alex Wilga...Is your Band Ready?

How did I miss this thread????

I've had a few gaffes in my time (yes...FUSION!!!...thanks Sam...I'm going to my grave with you riding me about that, hanh?).

Apparently with the Kingsmen Alumni Corps as I was their Official Traveling Announcer, I had one heck of a time with the name HECTOR BERLIOZ. I have nooooooooooo idea why I wanted to say anything else BUT Burrrrrr--leeeee----ohhhhhhzz...but my brain would twist things around to where it came out Hector Spaghettibreath. I mean...just horrid. Kingsmen folks just LOVED that. I was a TICK!!!

But my famous gaffe is actually winter guard related, but it deals with two legends in the drum corps world. I was announcing for the WGI Regional at Riverside Community College. Can't exactly remember the year, but it was the year Blue Devils did "Summertime". Sitting with me at the sound table as I also mixed the sound as well as announced was none other Mike McCool and Jay Murphy. Blue Devils, tremendous as always, just was killing the crowd. By the time they were finished, the gym had erupted into complete and utter pandemonium. I mean...it was nuts. It was CRAZY loud. And I, sort of caught up in the moment, proudly and loudly proclaimed, as only "The Voice of Southern California" could do....

"LAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIES AND GENTLEMEN......THE SAN JOSE RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:thumbup:

Probably not the thing to say with Mike McCool and Jay Murphy sitting right next to me. Never seen two grown men snap their heads around quicker than those guys.

Thankfully, because the crowd was too busy throwing babies and motel rooms key on to the floor, no one else heard me.

That's my story...and I'm sticking to it....oh, and I'm available for hire as announcer for a show near you. Today, "The Voice of Southern California", tomorrow, "The Voice of Fran Haring's Assistant!!!"