Cadets webcast

Thanks guys. You are the class of your organization and truly whats special about drum corps. Just for the record, I am not a Cadet hater, I understand why I have to state that every summer, and I know its my fault. What bothers me the most about the activity right now just happens to be what Cadets are doing so its easy to label me a hater and attack and the n not having to deal with a fan who is disenfranchised by the current state of affairs.

I have loved most of the Cadets shows since back in 1979, consider one (1998) in my top five of all time, and really only have had a problem these past few years. To me, and many, which is another issue, but back to me. To ME...this is a musical activity. Sure the drills are mind-boggling, the colors of the guard are awesome and the total visual package, as it accents the music can be awe inspiring. But think about it.

We buy audio downloads without visual, CD's without visual,d o we ever just by the visual without the audio ? Does anyone honestly stick a dvd or vhs tape in and turn off the volume and get the same enjoyment as popping in the CD, cranking the volume and listening ??

My point ??

Cadets are going out of their way to try and overtake the music with voice. Yes, its only one observance so far, got to tell ya'. I stayed away all off-season because I wasnt happy with what Cadets gave us last year and was afraid thats where the activity was heading, and I was equally disturbed by the booing, being there, I felt awkward looking left and right and seeing the majority so frenzied, but I totally understood their passion. Most did, I was hoping those designing Cadets cared just enough to curb it back this year, I was wrong and am very unhappy that they now consider voice a prominent element in a drum and bugle corps show.

Sure things change, I accepted amplification, I could even accept the voice, If I had to if it fit, was clever and didnt overshadow the music and the talent on the field, I mean....lets go back to last year, can you believe that drill from Cadets ? Or that smack in the face loud yet dynamic brass line ??? Unbelivable....thats what really pisses me off !!! As good as that was , thats how bad that narration was and it ruined a really good thing, you shouldnt be putting subpar efforts out at the end of the season when the rest of the elements are phenomenal.

Whining ?? no way, just disappointed that I even have to acknowledge that their is an option of "getting a hot dog" during a performance. I wont do that, I dont want to miss something, thats what I mean by "suffer through" because I didnt want to leave.

Now back to this years offering. Tell ya the truth, drum corps is an escape, no need to get into politics, religion, current events...etc.....WIth gas prices approaching $5, the war in Iraq, the economy in the hole and plenty of other problems occuring, I dont care about whats her names trite problems and them being exploited and highlighted on the football field in a drum corps show. I pay my hundreds of dollars and drive my many moles to get away from that crap. I dont need a drum corps show to make me aware of current events or other problems, I have the news, the internet, the library, etc..when I choose to do so.

I want the brass and the percussion to communicate to me and tell a story and I want the colorguard to enhance it. I want the creative staff to progam a show that reaches me intellectually, not spells it out to me and tells me what I should know verbally. Its as simple as that. How can you be passionate about something you didnt bargian for, didnt ask for and isnt remotely like what you fell in love with in the first place (and then discuss it in a discussion forum and get beaten by those defenders that lack respect and perspective....not all, they know who they are).

Again, like I write almost every season, change is inevitable, all things change, but change for the sake of change constant swift meaningless changes that really dont enhance a product are what will ultimately be its downfall. As soon as one thing is changed, those in charge ram another one down our throats, and before even perfecting those changes ? add more...why ??? How has adding amplification, and narration, help expand the activity and made it better ?? Ive asked this for years and never once gotten a real answer.

With gas approaching $5 and $6 around the country how is it better or in the best interest of the future of drum corps to add all the new toys ? Has anything in the past five years topped the, say: 1986 Blue Devils, 1988 SCV, 1993 Cadets ? 1995 Scouts ? ......you get my drift ?? Integrity in product and design is what keeps people interested. True creativity comes when new ground is broken within a set of defined paramters,not when the board decides to change the rules and alter the fundamentals of an activity that has been around longer than they have.

Thats it. Anyway, narration was brought up because the topic was the webcast and the webcast had plenty.

Geoffrey

Im sort of in the middle of something right now and dont have time to respond fully (I agree with some and disagree with others), but in terms of opinion, there is something I agree with you on 100%

I like drum corps to be an 'escape' as well. I dont mind thinking a little, as some very enjoyable shows are a little 'weird', but I've never been a fan of the overly serious / righteous shows. Now, I understand that there are dozens of shows out there for different kinds of tastes, but that just happens to be my preference. I'll write more once I actually get to see the show in a couple days...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic is about the Cadets webcast, I commented on the Cadets webcast, no more, no less, and of course narration and its impact in the last four years in my opinion, I killed no babies, I stole no money from old ladies. This is just drum corps discussion on DCP.

Geoffrey

Whether or not it is intentional the way that you word many of your posts makes them much more likely to cause confrontation. Some of your posts come across as trying your best to get Cadets fans angry so that you can "take the high ground" and try to make them look like idiots for getting worked up.

Again, only you know whether or not it is intentional, but not everyone that doesn't like the Cadets or narration draws the same response as you, and that is why in my opinion.

While I'm no huge fan of narration, I'm starting to find those constantly whining, bemoaning, crying and complaining about its use to be more insufferable than any talking during any show.

As you mentioned, it is quite easy for fans to get up and get away from a show they don't care for. Some of us (Who totally dislike narration) decide to stick it out and stay in our seats because we love drum corps. As one of these "Stick it out" fans....I am finding it increasingly difficult to deal with the increased tension that ensues the minute the Cadets hit the field with a show loaded with narration. Some folks voice there opposition quite loudly during the show....and immediately following are loud responses from two or three other fans tell this particular fan to shut up and sit down. If a REALLY disruptive verbal and/or physical fight breaks out someday....I would not be surprised. I am actually surprised that nothing happened (To my knowledge) yet. Is this the type of experience we go to a drum corps show for ?

Honestly, it really is quite simple. Cadets are using narration in 08. You've had years to prepare yourself and formulate a game plan.

Can you suggest a game plan for someone who wants to enjoy a show and cannot because a verbal (Possibly physical) fight breaks out ? Because I can't think of one.....

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there's probably a few ways around your "suffering".

Maybe.........maybe not....

Edited by Triple Forte

The Cadets have been saying lately that they made a four-year commitment to using voice. Does anyone know what year that started?

I hadn't heard this. Did George Hopkins mention this at one point? If so, that's good news, as they may consider doing a show without narration in 2009.

2005, right?

Maybe - I don't know if what they did in 2005 is considered the start of what George has been referring to as a 4-year commitment to using voice. George mentioned that at the beginning of the webcast and I believe I have also read it in his blog. This season is the first I have heard any mention of this.

As you mentioned, it is quite easy for fans to get up and get away from a show they don't care for. Some of us (Who totally dislike narration) decide to stick it out and stay in our seats because we love drum corps. As one of these "Stick it out" fans....I am finding it increasingly difficult to deal with the increased tension that ensues the minute the Cadets hit the field with a show loaded with narration. Some folks voice there opposition quite loudly during the show....and immediately following are loud responses from two or three other fans tell this particular fan to shut up and sit down. If a REALLY disruptive verbal and/or physical fight breaks out someday....I would not be surprised. I am actually surprised that nothing happened (To my knowledge) yet. Is this the type of experience we go to a drum corps show for ?

So......I am considering all options going in the this season.......

I am also finding it increasingly difficult to watch a Cadets' show live and not just because I am not a big fan of the narration. But because of exactly what you say about having to hear people argue over this narration. It is sad for me to sit and watch people boo the performance by these kids and not get worked up by it. And trust me, it took a lot to keep myself in my seat last year during finals when people were booing and all that crap. But you have to try to do it because it would be a sad day in drum corps to see a FIGHT break out in the middle of a drum corps show. Most of us have shown a lot of restraint and maturity to not allow that to happen. I mean this is not a soccer tourney (no offense) so as much as narration angers a lot of people, I would hope to God that a fight wouldn't break out over a drum corps show. I mean I know we LOVE this activity, but c'mon, this is only drum corps.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Maybe - I don't know if what they did in 2005 is considered the start of what George has been referring to as a 4-year commitment to using voice. George mentioned that at the beginning of the webcast and I believe I have also read it in his blog. This season is the first I have heard any mention of this.

Correction: The blog entry says it is a four-year commitment to the art of storytelling.

Cadets' Announcement this year ...

Jun. 3rd, 2008 at 4:31 PM

The Cadets continue a four year commitment to the art of storytelling with their 2008 production titled

“… and the pursuit of happiness”

Then the dim bulbs who think that it's OK to voice opposition ("opposition" to a drum corps performance? How silly of them, IMO) should shut up. It's not the fault of the Cadets if someone feels a need to ruin the experience for everyone in earshot.

I attend shows to see and hear the corps...not audience members.