Keep Corps UNPLUGGED!

I look at narration the same way I look at a drum break. I like it. Unless it sucks.

:ninja:

that is all...

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I commend you for trying to organize like-minded people and I would encourage you to please, organize the people who agree with you and take the fight to the decsion makers, and keep taking it to them if you continue to be supported in your efforts. DON'T make the kids on the field pay.

My only hope... to see Drum Corp survive the way I love it till my kids can march and I can live vicariously through their experiences, drive buses and... cook chow.

But, what if Drum Corps survives, but maybe not quite the way you love it, and your kids and their friends are down there on the field doing what they love and you are sitting in the audience and you are unable to enjoy your kids' performance because you can't hear it over the rude catcalls, comments and booing from the stands?

Just imagine how you might feel...

At least organizing and fighting this at the appropriate level is a better way to go.

My only hope... to see Drum Corp survive the way I love it till my kids can march and I can live vicariously through their experiences, drive buses and... cook chow.

If future parents who loved drum corps as it was in 1970 had said that...their kids would never have marched in 1990. Drum is not some bug frozen in time, locked in amber....thankfully.

If future parents who loved drum corps as it was in 1970 had said that...their kids would never have marched in 1990. Drum is not some bug frozen in time, locked in amber....thankfully.

Agreed. You know, I've been wondering about that line of thinking, too. In looking at the historical shows - I see the kids with long hair and sideburns in the '70s just digging the #### out of playing Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago. It seems to me the kids pushed the direction of the content. If show content didn't change from marches to something the kids enjoyed doing, kids wouldn't join drum corps and it would wither from lack of participation. Kids don't want to play BS&T & Chicago anymore. They like windband - look at all the enthusiasm on here for Kingfisher's Catch Fire, Cloudburst and American Elegy, and current musicals, and Phantom Phans love classical. As long as the content keeps up with what kids like. If kids didn't think it was cool, they wouldn't do it.

Anyway, dead horse time... :ninja: I already presented the petition to the BOD and they don't really care what the fans think, trust me.

DCI likes and needs money.

They will care when people stop giving them money.

If you don't like amps, stop giving DCI money. Any money.

Suddenly they will care.

Agreed. You know, I've been wondering about that line of thinking, too. In looking at the historical shows - I see the kids with long hair and sideburns in the '70s just digging the #### out of playing Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago.

Other than the hair length (in The Cadets we had rules about hair length so there was never enough time to really grow it during the off-season), you just described ME! :ninja:

I'm really torn here. As one of the newer fans, I sort of "grew up" with there being some sort of amplification in DCI. I do not know what shows would sound like if the pit wasn't amplified so I honestly can't really make an opinion. I do, however, like the sound of shows in the 90s but since those were recorded shows, the pit was naturally emphasized by the microphones that recorded them, no? If I had to make a choice, I guess I would not get rid of amplification as a whole. Amplified Voice would be one aspect I would nix; however, if it is an artistic expression by the show designers, I don't think we should stop them; however, that would set precedent that other "artistic" devices can be used.

What I like about DCI and their relatively slow transition into more "modern" instrumentation is that it allows DCI to present a wide range of styles instead of keeping a narrow range. I'm sure there are some corps that will stay true to the original idea of DCI and others will stray far away.

Can anyone list the corps that have "jumped ship" and those that have stayed true to the original DCI model?

Can anyone list the corps that have "jumped ship" and those that have stayed true to the original DCI model?

All of them...no junior corps uses piston/rotor bugles anymore. I think all the World Class corps are on the band instruments now.