ESPN2? PBS? What's going on?

Hey, I've been out of the loop since......last August pretty much. I think I heard at some point that DCI lost the deal with ESPN2, is this true? So what's going to happen about the broadcast? I thought DCI had a great thing going with ESPN, I loved last year's broadcast, great professional stuff going on.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I've been out of the loop since......last August pretty much. I think I heard at some point that DCI lost the deal with ESPN2, is this true? So what's going to happen about the broadcast? I thought DCI had a great thing going with ESPN, I loved last year's broadcast, great professional stuff going on.

Part of DCI cost cutting was to not fund the ESPN2 broadcast, which is a pretty expensive endeavor. They had to purchase the airtime, plus the cost of creating the show itself.

A much better trade, IMO, is to have 1/4's shown at the theaters and semis via the web, both live events.

I miss the days of the full finals broadcast on PBS...

Part of DCI cost cutting was to not fund the ESPN2 broadcast, which is a pretty expensive endeavor. They had to purchase the airtime, plus the cost of creating the show itself.

A much better trade, IMO, is to have 1/4's shown at the theaters and semis via the web, both live events.

To pick a nit here... that's not a "trade" Mike. The Quarters/Semis broadcast were a PART of the distribution in years past, along with the broadcast. The broadcast was removed from the deal. Nothing took it's place. Hence, not a trade, per se.

Having said that, I have seen one ESPN broadcast (2005?) and one QF broadcast (last year) and the QF wins hands-down. SO, if we had to lose one, I think that DCI made the right choice in the one to lose.

I miss the days of the full finals broadcast on PBS...

Me too! I loved the live, entire show broadcasts. Great evening of entertainment. :angry:

To pick a nit here... that's not a "trade" Mike. The Quarters/Semis broadcast were a PART of the distribution in years past, along with the broadcast. The broadcast was removed from the deal. Nothing took it's place. Hence, not a trade, per se.

True, though I think the 1/4 and semi live shows are only going into their second year, to pick yet another nit(?????)

Having said that, I have seen one ESPN broadcast (2005?) and one QF broadcast (last year) and the QF wins hands-down. SO, if we had to lose one, I think that DCI made the right choice in the one to lose.

That was the genesis of my 'trade' comment...more a trade-off, I guess. :angry:

True, though I think the 1/4 and semi live shows are only going into their second year, to pick yet another nit(?????)

I'm not sure how long the live streaming has been going on, but the theatre presentation of quarterfinals goes back to 2004.

I miss the full show presentation on PBS, too. I remember going to finals in 1980, flying home Sunday morning, and getting home to California in time to watch it on the LA PBS station. Plus, there were all the guest commentators. Some really got it, and some were clueless. Better still was Pete Emmons having to put up with clueless hosts! :angry:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor