Blue Devils

Hey all,

so after last night's show in Denver - I've decided that I really love BD's show this year.

Their "Absurdity" show is so detailed and nuanced that it's just ridiculous.

The use of the poles is cool and it adds designs to the field (I love the part where the whole guard is boxed in - then the guys spread out and the girls move to the next box).

The drum line GE alone is crazy - like when the guard rotate the quads around the players

And I'm really enjoying their musical selections this year (the beginning back field horn hit & The ballad are phenomenal).

I still can't believe I'm saying this - but man I love that show!

Later,

Mike

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

so after last night's show in Denver - I've decided that I really love BD's show this year.

Their "Absurdity" show is so detailed and nuanced that it's just ridiculous.

The use of the poles is cool and it adds designs to the field (I love the part where the whole guard is boxed in - then the guys spread out and the girls move to the next box).

The drum line GE alone is crazy - like when the guard rotate the quads around the players

And I'm really enjoying their musical selections this year (the beginning back field horn hit & The ballad are phenomenal).

I still can't believe I'm saying this - but man I love that show!

Later,

Mike

Are you the only one? Is that a serious question? These boards have been a lovefest for BD lately... especially among the BD alum (no suprise there).

I, however, disagree with you about the show. I actually don't like it very much at all. There are many sections that bore the heck out of me and I found myself spacing out during the webcast last night (this happens to me during a lot of BD programs.) Also, the music is so weird and disjunct that it's really hard to grasp onto a section before its cut off and they are off playing something different.

I will give them credit for a much improved visual program. They are doing some things that have never been done before drill-wise, and its refreshing to see that from BD.

One thing I have noticed about the show in general is that it feels very BOA/WGI-ish, which I really don't like to see. This especially comes out in the drumline when they are featured. It feels like I'm watching WGI when they play. Can't they just stand still and ram out some killer part without having to dance around and look silly? Call me old school but I don't like this approach.

Anyway... long post, but just thought I'd share my opinions. :thumbup:

When you have a show with a "crazy" theme it's usually pretty easy to score ridiculous GE. (Look at Cadets 05).

When you have a theme...but really you don't have one at all...it gives you more freedom to do whatever you really want with the show without straying from the theme. When you have a theme called "Spartacus", you're limited to do stuff that will enhance the "gladiator/roman/love story" theme. When you have a theme called "Constantly Risking Absurdity", you could have a gladiator fight in the middle of it and it would make complete sense...only not really...only it would(head asplodes)

Also, I love this years BD show.

I'm starting to get sold on it. The difference for me was seeing it live vs. on Fan Network. Being able to experience their energy directly very much enhanced my enjoyment of the show.

I think Blue Devils have a very entertaining show. I don't foresee anyone other than possibly Cavaliers beating them all season.

I love their musical book, and some of the things they are doing with the guard are very entertaining. They have in my opinion the best brass sound this year. I love their music, as well as the arrangements. Right now I have them just a little ahead of Cavaliers, and it will be interesting to see what changes are made in both shows, and who I like better come August.

I'm starting to get sold on it. The difference for me was seeing it live vs. on Fan Network. Being able to experience their energy directly very much enhanced my enjoyment of the show.

Yeah. I think I'll have a better feel for this show (and other shows as well) after I go to San Antonio. So far I'm not sold on it as much as usually am in regards to BD.

honestly, i know i'm probably the only one who thinks this, but...

... i think their show is great. but their new uniforms bug the HELL out of me. they look like some kind of wacky college band.

Edited by Kekkles