Can Phantom win?

??? How many did I miss. There has been more than 1? Oh, you must already be counting '08. That's a bit hasty, my friend.

TYPO sorry Past Championship SHOW

:thumbup: HEYAAA dom dom dom :ph34r: WEEEYAAA lol

Crowns hornline getting 1st tonight is not a shock. They're in a league of their own this year. Bar has been RAISED and they have surpassed any Star of Indiana hornline I know. Maybe Kevin should think about changing the name to Star of Carolina :laughing:

Spirit Contra 98

Crown Contra 99

Cadet Contra 2000

Spirit Contra 01

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've heard people say crown won brass in atlanta twice now. from dci's website:

brass

~total

~~blue devils - 18.80 - first

~~carolina crown - 18.7 - second

~~phantom regiment - 18.6 - third

is there something i'm missing?

Edited by Kekkles

I think it is hard for people to let go of preconceived notions.

You know, there was a time when PR's percussion was their VERY VERY weak link. You marched in the years following that...I am sure you guys had trouble getting people to believe that Regiment might actually have a good line. Heck, I remember 2003 when the line started to assert itself, there were plenty of people here on DCP who kept insisting that their line was overrated and not good at all.

Thanks for the reply. As a side note, I felt that we were judged fairly in percussion during my years in the corps. '98 was a shaky year for us battery-wise, and we didn't quite click until the end. The numbers were fair and reflected that. In '99, we had a somewhat inconsistent line, that was capable of throwing down. When we smoked our Boston show in early Aug., Charlie Poole rewarded us with a 9.5. That was fair. We dropped the ball at finals and got what was also probably a fair number.

In 2000, we were smoking, were the first line to hit 17, were second in drums until Cadets passed us in San Antonio, then stayed in 3rd all the way until finals night, when Blue Knights and their age-out heavy drum line passed us out of nowhere. End result, 4th - ahead of BD and SCV. Pretty fair for being in a 7th place drum corps.

It doesn't help that Regiment has a new drill designer this year, and that it is their what....10th in 17 years? This is going to cause people to be very wary about giving PR the benefit of the doubt. Heck, I admit that I too had concerns about the new guy. Allow me to go on the record here:

I think Nick has done a great job in his first year of major corps design. He will only get better, and that is great news for Regiment.

I marched with Nick - he is a great guy. He literally cleared out his schedule for the year in order to commit to this gig. He also has been on tour most of the summer, and has had some great support in show design from some other folks, such as Tony Hall. I think he's doing an outstanding job.

TYPO sorry Past Championship SHOW

:thumbup: HEYAAA dom dom dom :ph34r: WEEEYAAA lol

Crowns hornline getting 1st tonight is not a shock. They're in a league of their own this year. Bar has been RAISED and they have surpassed any Star of Indiana hornline I know. Maybe Kevin should think about changing the name to Star of Carolina :laughing:

Spirit Contra 98

Crown Contra 99

Cadet Contra 2000

Spirit Contra 01

LOL. Sorry, you sent me a fat pitch, so I swung. No hard feelings, I hope. :ph34r:

I think I'm gonna flip flop my position.

Phantom's OBVIOUSLY going to win because 1996 and 2008 are both even numbers divisible by 4. And the number 4 is the placement they were JUST LAST WEEK. And the number 4 is what the FIRST PLACE CORPS from M.Boro was in music while still winning by a significant amount. And the number 4 the also the number of times that Phantom HAVE NOT beaten the Cavaliers or Blue Devils this year.

Science > Show design and execution

Not surprising, coming from someone that has a Battle Star Gallactica photo as their avatar. (Just teasing :p )

Here's the thing, with this top 5, anything can happen, and we have two weeks to play out every freaking scenario in the book. It's BD's to lose right now, plain and simple.

Can Regiment win... yes. But they have to push themselves to out preform BD. That is going to take some work.

Is a Blue Devils victory a given? Based on tonight's recaps, not anymore, but they're still in the drivers seat. If BD gets too cocky, someone needs to remind them that there have been a handful of corps that have gone into Champs undefeated and walked out in 2nd or 3rd place on Saturday night. What I suspected after seeing them at the start of the season might be coming true... they are a #### good corps, with a really good book (but not a great book) and they are endanger of peaking to early. IMHO, the ending of the show is flat and doesn't match the intensity of the first 3/4"s of the show, and at some level, the kids know it and are translating it on the field.

Regiments big problem with their visual program is their first impression. The first minute of the show is VERY underwhelming, and is performed as such. The kids have never quite hit or executed the opening sets, even after they made changes a few weeks back. It's very difficult drill to interpret from the box, looks even more difficult to interpret from the field. After the intro, they kick on the afterburners and let'er rip. But that first minute of the show just leaves me with a bad taste and lasts the entire show. Fix that and it's worth a good three tenths, at least.

Cavi's just don't have the book this year. I hear that its a young corps, and if that's the case, we're in trouble because those kids are #### good. But's its just not their year... yet.

Crown - The reason for the jump in scoring... they've cleaned more than the others in the top 5. This is a different corps than we saw last week in SA, and, they've added a new ending to boot. I love this show, though not as much as last year.

Also, I don't think we should be reading into the scoring margins closing up... remember that the higher we get in the numbers, the harder is to climb a tenth or two.

Edited by Newseditor44

The design concept is just far enough out there like Cadets 05 to be "artistic" in the contemporary sense, but not so much so that it turns off the average fan like Cadets 06. It just fits the corps like a glove.

You're kidding, right? It's a drum corps show... don't get too excited there Sparky.

If you're a BD fan, this show is the greatest thing since sliced bread... but if you're not, than it's just ok.

Personally (and I'm a BD fan), this show is nothing more than "OK". The tunes are groovy, and after about five or six listens, I was into it. And the concept is fun (I dig the occasionally horn player running outside the set, and the tightrope stuff). But these past two years have left me wanting something more from Wayne Downey. I don't hate it, but it's no where near my favorite BD chart.

I can't see why Phantom wouldn't have a shot if they are as clean as BD and Cavies. They move and play a hack of a lot more. Their visual design is FINALLY effective throughout the whole show. They take chances. My only issue, and it is a small one, is they make some of the moves a bit more difficult than they need to be. I do think they jazz run when it is not necessary. But, overall, this could be a championship show with some cleaning. I agree a bit with Galen though. I am not sure if it will happen.

It feels like BD has already been crowned. Anyone notice how even during one of the big perc breaks in BD's show the hornline is stationary?

You're kidding, right? It's a drum corps show... don't get too excited there Sparky.

If you're a BD fan, this show is the greatest thing since sliced bread... but if you're not, than it's just ok.

Personally (and I'm a BD fan), this show is nothing more than "OK". The tunes are groovy, and after about five or six listens, I was into it. And the concept is fun (I dig the occasionally horn player running outside the set, and the tightrope stuff). But these past two years have left me wanting something more from Wayne Downey. I don't hate it, but it's no where near my favorite BD chart.

The closer tune does not fit at all.

I think we could see Phantom overtake the Green Machine by Finals week. As for winning the whole thing....well...that's just "absurd."

I think we could see Phantom overtake the Green Machine by Finals week. As for winning the whole thing....well...that's just "absurd."

No, it's "adsurb!" :laughing: