Can Anybody Beat the Bucs?

Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and end their three year reign over DCA?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and finally end their three year reign over DCA?

• Yes
    • No chance in...
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Who could possibly beat the Buccaneers in Rochester?

• Hurcs
    • Cabs
    • Minnesota
    • Statesmen
    • Brigs
    • Bush
    • Kilties
    • Renegades
    • Corps Vets
    • Crusaders

What makes the Buccaneers so much better than everybody else?

Superb execution and technique across the board.

Seamless horn line--these guys breathe so darn well!

Corps' grasp does not exceed its reach

Easy-to-digest program with plenty of "ooh" moments.

The best pit in the business.

Top-cabin staff.

Hard f^&*ing work.

That's just for starters.

All IMVHO,

Ace

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Ace. However, you missed the detailed planning of the program, preseason camps and season logistics. They start with a sound foudation for the season and build from there. IMHO

J

Superb execution and technique across the board.

Seamless horn line--these guys breathe so darn well!

Corps' grasp does not exceed its reach

Easy-to-digest program with plenty of "ooh" moments.

The best pit in the business.

Top-cabin staff.

Hard f^&*ing work.

That's just for starters.

All IMVHO,

Ace

And that brings about another good point - rehearsal time.

We were able to achieve all of that with a very minimalist "member friendly" rehearsal schedule.

During the preseason, we practiced Saturdays (beginning at 1:00) and Sundays from either 9 or 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. There were no Friday night rehearsals (at least when I marched - I believe prior to 2001 they did have Friday night sectionals).

During the performance season, we ONLY did Saturdays. Show up at the practice site, practice starting at 9 a.m., lunch at 12, run-through at 4:30, shower, perform and go home. The only time we ever did Sundays was when the show was in the Syracuse area (but I remember we also practiced the Sunday after Scranton IN Scranton - I remember that b/c I sat out with a busted ankle LOL).

People never had to drive back through the night from a show to get back home for a Sunday morning rehearsal.

It was quality of rehearsal time, not quantity of hours. And - the "big names" weren't always in. Most days it was the in-house staff getting the job done.

Do Bucs rehearse every Friday and Sunday?

You know your post got me wondering, so I went on the Buccs website and had a look at their schedule. They rehearse like crazy! Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays on most weekends. I calculated about 450 hours from December 2007 to labor day weekend.

Brigs never rehearsed more then around 300 hours a season from January to labor day in the early 2000s.

Ace,

Hope you're well!

I think you nailed it. I visited a Bucs practice over the winter. They spent at least 3 hours receiving instruction how to breathe into the horn, where their tongue needs to be at what moment. They drilled that suggestion over and over. Actually, I thought it was overkill, but then, I'm a color guard guy.

Right now, the Bucs have a winning formula in place, and YES, given I am alum, I expect them to win the championship this year. Anything else should come under serious question.

That said, other corps ARE catching up, just not enough in 2008. The DCA arena will be here for many years to come. Others will have their own moment, I'm certain.

Sorry if my honest opinion offends any of DCP's readers.

I expect them to win the championship this year. Anything else should come under serious question.

Sorry if my honest opinion offends any of DCP's readers.

Hey, I'm cool with that..

A couple of points.

The question as to whether anyone can top the Bucs is not clear. If the question is can anyone score higher than the Bucs? The answer, as drum corps judging whether DCA or DCI has shown over the years is sure. There are many years where the best product on the field does not get it's due recognition. DCI is certainly shaping up to be a year of "Absurd" placing.

Now, if the question is if there is anyone that is capable of topping the product the Bucs have on the field this year, than the answer is no way in HE double toothpicks. Kudos go to some very good shows, most notably Hurcs, Cabs, Statesmen, but IMO the gap is too wide, not in terms of score but in terms of overall production and performance.

The poll is flawed in that it forces one to choose a corps that CAN catch the Bucs after the answer given is that nobody can.

The time to catch the Bucs is long gone. That time was between Thanksgiving and Wildwood.

Edited by David J

The Bucs work harder all year. That's it.

Their drill and music are in line or more difficult than most of their competition. Their high level of skill and execution are what might make it appear simpler, but that is the trick.

Are they beatable? Not from what I have seen but this is DCA, anything can happen.

The similarities to the Brigs of old are much fewer than you think. It was a completely different business model and why I would agree with Tom about the talent level.

Flame away.

The Bucs work harder all year. That's it.

Their drill and music are in line or more difficult than most of their competition. Their high level of skill and execution are what might make it appear simpler, but that is the trick.

It's funny you say that, it's what I say everytime someone "accuses" Brigs to have an easy drill... lol :thumbup: