Championship Shows You Didn't Like

Okay, here goes nothing!

1985 Cadets: My least favorite Cadets show. It did nothing for me.

You slay me. How can you hate '85?? Jeremiah was simply amazing!!

Now, 1990 was not my favourite at all. It was just a rehash of old stuff, mixed together, and the brass was occasionally unbalanced.

Haven't really been wowed by the champion since Cavies domination. I love visual and BD's visual doesn't do it for me at all. I love

frenetic movement which we just don't see anymore. Crown wowed me musically in 2013 but visual was not remarkable. Cadets 2011

had an overall package that pulled me in more than the above two champions.

• Like 1

Cadevilina Crown, on 03 Nov 2014 - 8:39 PM, said:snapback.png

2008 (Phantom Regiment) - I feel like every time I watch this show, it looks more and more like just a giant killing spree. I do appreciate the music though.

That's the beauty of it!

I am a HUGE movie fan, and I often really like/appreciate violent movies, horror movies, etc. But IMO Phantom's "killing spree" of 2008 felt like a lame attempt to squeeze every shred of GE tenths out of a VERY lacking visual design program. I'll leave others to debate if the 'killing spree' worked from a GE stand-point (FWIW on July 28 they lost Vis Effect to BD by .6, and lost Vis Effect to BD at Finals by .5 so I guess maybe the added death was negligible score-wise). However, violence that has something to say is great: it's shocking enough to draw attention to a great message. Senseless violence with nothing else to add is just cheap exploitation, and that is what Phantom 2008 felt. I too was never a fan of that show, though I LOVE that percussion section, and the brass line played incredibly well too. I also appreciate that Phantom 2008 is a modern (ish) example of a music-driven show that can win DCI w/a not-so-great visual program. I love the fact that PR's members performed the snot out of that show, didn't go down without a fight, and ended up on top with their superior music performance (especially PR percussion vs BD percussion). But taking the show as-it-is I'm personally not a fan of the show: the members' performance, but not the show.

• Like 1

I'll have to admit that most years, the championship show is not my favorite show. Some I've grown to appreciate, PR and "Spartacus" being an excellent example. I think the same could be said of BD in 2012. I was also less than entertained with BD in 2009 and 2010. I did not like Cadets and "Angels and Demons" all that much, but I did find parts intriguing and respect the fact they worked that show all season and right up to the last moment worked to make it work. In 2013 and 2014 I enjoyed both Crown and BD. So I do not sound like a total crank, even if I do not "enjoy" a show, I often understand why it works and why it won.

Cadevilina Crown, on 03 Nov 2014 - 8:39 PM, said:snapback.png

I am a HUGE movie fan, and I often really like/appreciate violent movies, horror movies, etc. But IMO Phantom's "killing spree" of 2008 felt like a lame attempt to squeeze every shred of GE tenths out of a VERY lacking visual design program. I'll leave others to debate if the 'killing spree' worked from a GE stand-point (FWIW on July 28 they lost Vis Effect to BD by .6, and lost Vis Effect to BD at Finals by .5 so I guess maybe the added death was negligible score-wise). However, violence that has something to say is great: it's shocking enough to draw attention to a great message. Senseless violence with nothing else to add is just cheap exploitation, and that is what Phantom 2008 felt. I too was never a fan of that show, though I LOVE that percussion section, and the brass line played incredibly well too. I also appreciate that Phantom 2008 is a modern (ish) example of a music-driven show that can win DCI w/a not-so-great visual program. I love the fact that PR's members performed the snot out of that show, didn't go down without a fight, and ended up on top with their superior music performance (especially PR percussion vs BD percussion). But taking the show as-it-is I'm personally not a fan of the show: the members' performance, but not the show.

For what it's worth, I think BD 2008 >>>>> PR 08 and I'm a PR "homer"

The Zone - it was interesting the first time, but got old really fast.

2014 Blue Devils - Did nothing for me. Very cold and no emotion.

You know, I kinda like this thread.

Put it out there and let people know how you feel. It's no big deal, and I've seen some hate for some shows I liked, so here we go....

Now I don't HATE these shows, but I disliked them for whatever reason...

1994 - Blue Devils - My Spanish Heart.... I was in shock at the departure from previous arrangements of My Spanish Fantasy. Beginning of the chop'n'bop that I disliked from them It's taken a very long time not to hate this show...

2007 - Blue Devils - Winged Victory - Didn't like the early season recordings and that just kept me from liking the show. It's gotten better for me on re-listens...

2009 - Blue Devils - 1930 - Felt they got too much credit for this show all year. Heard multiple trumpet fracks at Riverside, yet they still ran away with the show.

2011 - Cadets - Between Angels and Demons - Didn't buy the concept, but a LOT of other people ate it up, so it's just me...

2012 - Cabaret Voltaire - Came across as pretentious... It worked for them though... Oh well... I guess I'm a BD hater, but I don't want to be... Their designs just aren't my cup of tea, sorry...

• Like 1

You know, I kinda like this thread.

Put it out there and let people know how you feel. It's no big deal, and I've seen some hate for some shows I liked, so here we go....

Now I don't HATE these shows, but I disliked them for whatever reason...

1994 - Blue Devils - My Spanish Heart.... I was in shock at the departure from previous arrangements of My Spanish Fantasy. Beginning of the chop'n'bop that I disliked from them It's taken a very long time not to hate this show...

2007 - Blue Devils - Winged Victory - Didn't like the early season recordings and that just kept me from liking the show. It's gotten better for me on re-listens...

2009 - Blue Devils - 1930 - Felt they got too much credit for this show all year. Heard multiple trumpet fracks at Riverside, yet they still ran away with the show.

2011 - Cadets - Between Angels and Demons - Didn't buy the concept, but a LOT of other people ate it up, so it's just me...

2012 - Cabaret Voltaire - Came across as pretentious... It worked for them though... Oh well... I guess I'm a BD hater, but I don't want to be... Their designs just aren't my cup of tea, sorry...

Hah I couldn't think of a better word to describe Cabaret Voltaire than pretentious. Difference being, I absolutely loved that show after hating on it until the offseason. It's one of my favorite shows ever.

I'm only going to use championship shows I've seen live (i.e. since 2007). Since then, I've actually been split 50-50 on shows that I like vs. ones that didn't sit as well with me. That being said, my order...

The BAD

4. Cadets 2011- Truth be told, it's far more of a "meh" than a "no thanks," but I'm still gonna get a lot of crap for it. About 95% of what I remember about that show is visual, the music just really didn't do it for me. That final build to the end of the show, with the zipper drill, dragged on so badly for me it almost ruined any good that came before it. Again, no hate for this show, but it did nothing for me.

3. Blue Devils 2007- If there's nothing I hate worse than a rage-inducing show winning, it's a completely forgettable show winning. That is exactly what 2007 is in a nutshell: forgettable. There are two reasons that this show didn't take second place on this list. First, the guard uniforms weren't completely gaudy. Second, I actually DO remember one thing about this show... the drum feature with the toms on the sideline that I remember looking and sounding pretty cool when there were actually used.

2. Blue Devils 2009- Just as, if not more, forgettable than 2007. What's weird is that I remember liking it when I saw it live in Allentown that year, yet every time I revisit it I can't recall just what about it I liked. All I can recall about it are blindingly yellow guard unis, white chairs, and the 99 club.

1. Blue Devils 2010- I haven't listened to this show in a while. I don't want to listen to it either. I'm all for dissonant and weird music (jazz included!) in corps, but this... absolutely nothing about this show appealed to me in any way whatsoever, no matter how many times I saw it throughout the season. The mirrors were headache inducing, especially if they were wobbling while the corps marched in front of them. I saw the guard drops numerous times on Finals night, yet they scored perfect, which certainly left my group bitter. The fact that this show was a runaway winner in arguably the best year for corps while I marched, with shows like Mad World and Metropolis, is downright infuriating. If I come back to this thread when it's revived 10 years down the road, I will bet money that this show will still top my list.

After that #####ing, I guess I should add some positivity to the thread. So here are the other four, ranked bottom to top...

4. Phantom Regiment 2008- Ah yes, Spartacus. I remember telling my dad they were going to win from the moment Will was first stabbed in Allentown. From the opening fanfare to the turtle formation vs. goose-stepping horns, to that wonderful finale, this show was a treat. It's only this far down because some of the faster middle parts are kinda hazy in my memory, while the top three I could probably hum top to bottom without missing a movement.

3. Blue Devils 2014- As I develop into a hopeless cinemaphile, this show made me outright PUMPED to watch Fellini movies. The music is fun and catchy, and the drill was immaculate. I only have it at #3 because I feel that it's still fresh, and may lose a little luster over time like Spartacus. However, I take the shiny new show over the old classic in this ranking.

2. Blue Devils 2012- I see so many people talking about how they gave this show a second chance and started to love it after a while. I guess I'm a weirdo, because I LOOOOOOOOVED this show from the first time I saw it. Maybe it was because I had a good idea of what dada was beforehand, but even without that, my God. The music is absolutely STUNNING, and the high energy of the opener is downright addictive. If 2010 did anything good for me, it made me choose to do my research on BD's subject material before watching their shows, and it has paid off in spades. I've loved every BD show since 2011 on first viewing and still love them to this day. 2012 has been the best of the bunch since then.

1. Carolina Crown 2013- Hands down the most balls-to-the-wall, eye-popping, TOTALLY INSANE hornline I have heard in my entire life. The first time I heard their (post- 2001:ASO) opener runs, I just started laughing. Then they got to the line runs, that GORGEOUS ballad, and that finale that gives me chills every time I listen to it. All while running circles around the field. Yes the drumline was bleh, but they were never the focus. Yes, some people hate on the singing/narration, but I love Einstein on the Beach, and Crown used it to absolute perfection in this show. Yes, their uniforms were butt ugly, but... actually I have no retort for that one. But the fact remains, e=mc^2 is the single show that gets me to stop what I'm doing when it comes on my shuffle, and just sit and listen. I still can't believe that Finals push really happened, it was just meant to be I guess.

Haven't really been wowed by the champion since Cavies domination. I love visual and BD's visual doesn't do it for me at all. I love

frenetic movement which we just don't see anymore. Crown wowed me musically in 2013 but visual was not remarkable. Cadets 2011

had an overall package that pulled me in more than the above two champions.

Absolutely. Crowns music wowed but visual lacked wow in comparison. Visual was certainly solid but there was a lack of "marriage" with the music. Cavaliers seamlessly COMBINED good music and extraordinary visual for a complete PACKAGE. Some people here may be content with simply amazing and loud music. I came for a marching show, not a concert.