Championship Shows You Didn't Like

This one's easy...

1998-Cadets

2002-Cavaliers

2005 Cadets

2006 Cavaliers

I've seen all finals live since 1991, and seen videos back to 1975, yet it's only the last 10 years that I don't like.

Oh well...

I'm surprised to see so many negative reactions to BD 97, BD 03 and Cavs 02. These three are at the top of my list of my favorite championship shows, and I was under the impression that they were pretty widely loved/respected.

I've seen most championship shows (thank you Fan Network!) [end plug], but I think the 90s onward are where I notice the largest difference in quality between champions.

I'd say my bottom three are:

"The Zone" -- the first half is great. From the "factory groove" onward, the design seems to get lazy.

"We Are the Future" -- see above. from the "anything you can do, I can do better" segment onward, design seems to lag. I'm not the hugest fan of free-for-alls.

"Machine" -- it's just not a hard-hitter.

That said, those three are all really good shows. I guess it's saying something that the worst of the best are all pretty darn good.

I've seen all finals live since 1991, and seen videos back to 1975, yet it's only the last 10 years that I don't like.

Oh well...

I wonder why this is, becaue I relate. The 1980's were fantastic years for drum corps. Garfield, SCV, and Madison in particular (in my mind) put great shows out there and really inspired audiences, young and old(er) alike. They "pushed the envelope" so to speak, seemilngly without fan back-lash. CC (ironocally, given they weren't around) seem to be closest to carrying the tradition of those "good old years." I recently watched SCV's 1987 and 1989 shows on the Fan Network, and was blown away...AGAIN. Pure art that didn't try too hard.

Now see, that's where we differ....the opening up to the drum break was Ok for me....but the closing segment (Heaven) THAT was pure awesomeness to me...I LOVED how Wayne stuck in the Beethoven's 9th quote at the very end...I didn;t even realize that was part of the 1970 horn book -- the first year -- until I looked it up!

What?! Sam, really? 07 BD was pure gold up until the end of the ballad. After that it really could have just ended and I would have been happy.

As for my votes.....

97 BD - Meh, it's fun, but Lake Mendota was way better

98 Cadets - Ya, visual's clean, but I just cannot get into this show. It's like pulling teeth every time I watch (listen) to it.

02 Cavies - Nothing really against this show except all the hype that it got. 2002 just felt like an off year for drum corps. Any other year this show probably still would have won, but would not have broken 99.

02 Cavies - Nothing really against this show except all the hype that it got. 2002 just felt like an off year for drum corps. Any other year this show probably still would have won, but would not have broken 99.

Couldn't agree more.

Interesting that the oldest show mentioned here is 1989. Is it that people don't know the earlier shows, or that everyone loved every championship show prior to 1989?

See, now that where I had a big internal debate about how to answer. Musically, I LOVE many of the pre-89 shows. Visually, they get NO play whatsoever on my DVD player and I often find myself wondering why I spent $39 per DVD to get so many pre-89 Legacy DVD's. From that perspective, EVERY championship show pre-88 is one I don't necessarily like in its entirety

I'm sensing a theme, JF....