Violence and Phantom 2008

Well, you know, if there's one thing the ancient Romans were known for, it was their kind and forgiving nature. Like that time they scolded Jesus and put him on time out.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA FTW!!!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thought out post.

I understand your views.

Have not seen their show,thus cannot comment further.

So, I guess you're saying you'd rather not see Tony die in Holy Name's revision of WSS next year but rather have HN tell us about it a la Walter Kronkite?

The show is fine the way it is hence the audience reaction to the show. If the audience didn't like like it, they'd be sitting on their hands at the end like I saw for another unrelated program.

Edited by skajerk

At least Phantom understands the value of entertainment. You know...like a movie. I guess we get the PG version rather than the G rating. Oh, by the way, I remember when they cut out the violence in Bugs Bunny cartoons. They were boring. Just to be politically correct. Makes me want to spew!!!

I expect many to look upon this thread as an attempt to be too politically correct.

Maybe because it is an attempt to be too politically correct?

I didn't find Phantom's show to go beyond the stylized violence that one often sees in plays or operas. They're telling a story that involves gladiatorial combat and the crushing of a slave revolt, and people die in that story. There's no reason they are obliged to hide that under a layer of symbolism. They're probably out of the running for Spirit of Disney, but I don't think they seriously compromise the "family values" of a drum corps show.

Haven't we already beat this topic to death previously?

Talk to 27socal to see how the previous thread on this topic turned out.

oh get off the cross! we need the wood...to rape and pillage and burn things to the ground! :worthy:

No.

We need to give the wood back to the OP so he can build a bridge and GET OVER IT.

Look at examples in the movies:

"The Passion of the Christ" was a terrible movie because it was just a guy getting tortured for an hour and a half. "Saw" movies have more storyline than that movie.

"Gladiator" was a great movie because it showcased a ton of emotions over the entire movie's length, including raw historically correct violence(though the storyline was actually not historically correct).

Phantom Regiment is basically putting on the "Gladiator" of drum corps shows. Power, romance...desire...it's all there.

1 internets to whom can name the stand-up references

I challenge the modern day designers to be more thoughtful to the audience (which contains many young children – and even adults who abhor violence) and to create entertaining and engaging shows that do not include literal depictions of violence and murder.

Yes, I wish for the good old days too like the Spartacus ballet in the 1950's and the movie in 1960's. I'm sure they left the violence out when the ballet was composed and choreographedy or the movie where Kirk Douglas skips off into the sunset at the end.

:worthy: sheeshh.