Violence and Phantom 2008

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like that time they scolded Jesus and put him on time out.

Put Jesus in a timeout. That is freakin' EPIC.

And while we're at it, let's not give out scores at finals and tell everyone they're a winner!!! Now, it's time for our non-violent group hug. George Hopkins and DCP will start. :worthy:

I have 3 words to describe the effect of Phantom's show on my fragile psyche:

Scarred

For

Life

I'll have to consult a therapist for sure. :worthy:

P.S. I hope never to see the actual Spartacus film...there's so much violence in it that I'd have to hire a whole team of shrinks to deal with my problems, not to mention all the meds.

Guest xsabers

I might be somewhat sensitive to the OP's point if PR went all Hollywood on us and used blood packs and fake severed body parts (or real ones for that matter). It would then have moved away from the portrayal of stage art an into the slasher film genre.

...not to mention the havoc stage blood would have on those white unis...

I'm sad that people have taken this opportunity to be a little mean-spirited about their replies. Having said that, I LOVE Phantom's show. I really appreciate the roles they are playing and how well they are playing them. That said, if Phantom had been at the Houston show, I would have taken my 4.5 year old out for souvie shopping during their performance. I won't hide her from violence when the time is right, but for her the time is NOT right. She is highly sensitive to imagery and stories, and there is nothing I can do about that other than wait for her brain to be mature enough to handle certain things. (this is true for most kids under age 6-7, but sadly people start desensitizing them far too early - that's a whole other topic, though.)

Like every parent, it's my job as a parent to do the pre-screening and figure out what I should and shouldn't let my kid see. It's also my job to dial down the volume on my own interests from time to time and think of what is really best for my kiddo. That part is hardest for most people (me included) because we definitely live in an indulgent time. (i.e. "I want what I want when I want it and I don't care who I run over to get it.")

No.

We need to give the wood back to the OP so he can build a bridge and GET OVER IT.

Look at examples in the movies:

"The Passion of the Christ" was a terrible movie because it was just a guy getting tortured for an hour and a half. "Saw" movies have more storyline than that movie.

"Gladiator" was a great movie because it showcased a ton of emotions over the entire movie's length, including raw historically correct violence(though the storyline was actually not historically correct).

Phantom Regiment is basically putting on the "Gladiator" of drum corps shows. Power, romance...desire...it's all there.

1 internets to whom can name the stand-up references

and THEN can we burn it? while they're on it??? :worthy:

I challenge the modern day designers to be more thoughtful to the audience (which contains many young children – and even adults who abhor violence) and to create entertaining and engaging shows that do not include literal depictions of violence and murder.

It's one thing to abhor violence, it's another to deny/pretend it doesn't exist. Furthermore, I would submit that some people truly don't start living until they're put into the crucible we call war.

I'm sad that people have taken this opportunity to be a little mean-spirited about their replies.

That's just the Phantom way. Most of the negative responses to the original posters concern come from Phantom people. I know I will get nailed for this post, but it's unfortunately the truth. They are the worst sports off the field. I haven't gone near their souvie booth ever since they called the Scouts colorguards a bunch of names that weren't appropriate after getting beat by them. I can only imagine what was said there this year as Crown beat them several times(hopefully 3 more times this season)

If they showed a little more class, they might get a little more respect.

As for the violence, it probably isn't needed. I don't personally have any problems with it, but have seen other corps do cooler things with it(Scouts 97 for example). It should be good for 4th place this year.

That's just the Phantom way. Most of the negative responses to the original posters concern come from Phantom people. I know I will get nailed for this post, but it's unfortunately the truth. They are the worst sports off the field. I haven't gone near their souvie booth ever since they called the Scouts colorguards a bunch of names that weren't appropriate after getting beat by them. I can only imagine what was said there this year as Crown beat them several times(hopefully 3 more times this season)

If they showed a little more class, they might get a little more respect.

As for the violence, it probably isn't needed. I don't personally have any problems with it, but have seen other corps do cooler things with it(Scouts 97 for example). It should be good for 4th place this year.

*sigh* Thank you for your opinion. I will not comment on its incorrect content.