Violence and Phantom 2008

Just throw some nudity in someone else's show and everyone will forget about the violence.

Thats what BD needs to really be absurd, have the drum major strip down to a nude body suit and run around. Like a frat boy :worthy:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what BD needs to really be absurd, have the drum major strip down to a nude body suit and run around. Like a frat boy :worthy:

I don't need to see Brian strip down...

*sigh* Thank you for your opinion. I will not comment on its incorrect content.

Incorrect my butt. Why don't you contact your souvie department and speak with the nasty woman running it a few years ago. She saw one of my comments, and PM'd me to tell me how embarrassed she was that people heard her innappropriate comments towards the Scouts.

I guess if Phantom taught their people class, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

I'm sad that people have taken this opportunity to be a little mean-spirited about their replies. Having said that, I LOVE Phantom's show. I really appreciate the roles they are playing and how well they are playing them. That said, if Phantom had been at the Houston show, I would have taken my 4.5 year old out for souvie shopping during their performance. I won't hide her from violence when the time is right, but for her the time is NOT right. She is highly sensitive to imagery and stories, and there is nothing I can do about that other than wait for her brain to be mature enough to handle certain things. (this is true for most kids under age 6-7, but sadly people start desensitizing them far too early - that's a whole other topic, though.)

Like every parent, it's my job as a parent to do the pre-screening and figure out what I should and shouldn't let my kid see. It's also my job to dial down the volume on my own interests from time to time and think of what is really best for my kiddo. That part is hardest for most people (me included) because we definitely live in an indulgent time. (i.e. "I want what I want when I want it and I don't care who I run over to get it.")

How about leaving young children at home instead of subjecting the rest of the public to their behavior when they are 4.5 years old?

What happened to the days of babysitters? Young children shouldn't be in sit down restaurants or at most public performances unless the entertainment is geared especially to them.

But, that's the job of parents. We never took our 3-8 year olds out for dinner at a sit down place. If we took them to a movie or a concert it was Disney or Raffi. These performers and movies are geared for children. Twenty years ago, if I would have had to take my kids to a drum corps show in order for me to go, I would have stayed home.

I waited until my boys were 8 and 10 and took them to a couple of rehearsals from a local corps before taking them to a show. At age 8 to 10, it is reasonable to expect good behavior in public. And, my deal with them was to check at intermission if they were still having a good time and were behaving reasonably. If not...we are out. If they are good...well then souvie booths will get some of my money. There's also ice cream on the way home too.

Incorrect my butt. Why don't you contact your souvie department and speak with the nasty woman running it a few years ago. She saw one of my comments, and PM'd me to tell me how embarrassed she was that people heard her innappropriate comments towards the Scouts.

I guess if Phantom taught their people class, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

There are bad eggs in every bunch. To say that everyone associated with the corps has no class or that the corps instills it in them or someway crooked, is to be very, very foolish. I bet if I tried hard enough, I could find a person associated with each corps that represents their corps in the worst possible way. To make these accusations, and to take a jab at one of the finest institutions in DCI, is very foolish and makes you look like one of the very people I was previously mentioning.

Edited by megadrive

Well, it's also teaching children a valuable lesson about how enslavement only leads to trouble. I'd say it balances the simulated violence out.

"So go pick up your own room Sally, and quit bullying Jimmy to do it! Remember when I took you brats to see Spartacus?"

Where's the corresponding threads for the Cavaliers & Bluecoats? :worthy:

Edited by troon8

There are bad eggs in every bunch. To say that everyone associated with the corps has no class or that the corps instills it in them or someway crooked, is to be very, very foolish. I bet if I tried hard enough, I could find a person associated with each corps that represents their corps in the worst possible way. To make these accusations, and to take a jab at one of the finest institutions in DCI, is very foolish and makes you look like one of the very people I was previously mentioning.

Yes there are bad eggs in every bunch. Unfortunately Phantom seems to have more than the average dozen.

As far as the comments to the original poster, why not jsut answer the question as "No there isn't too much violence" as opposed to making fun of the original poster? I think the total rudeness and arrogance of the corps shows through comments like the ones made by people on the boards.

I'm sad that people have taken this opportunity to be a little mean-spirited about their replies. Having said that, I LOVE Phantom's show. I really appreciate the roles they are playing and how well they are playing them. That said, if Phantom had been at the Houston show, I would have taken my 4.5 year old out for souvie shopping during their performance. I won't hide her from violence when the time is right, but for her the time is NOT right. She is highly sensitive to imagery and stories, and there is nothing I can do about that other than wait for her brain to be mature enough to handle certain things. (this is true for most kids under age 6-7, but sadly people start desensitizing them far too early - that's a whole other topic, though.)

Like every parent, it's my job as a parent to do the pre-screening and figure out what I should and shouldn't let my kid see. It's also my job to dial down the volume on my own interests from time to time and think of what is really best for my kiddo. That part is hardest for most people (me included) because we definitely live in an indulgent time. (i.e. "I want what I want when I want it and I don't care who I run over to get it.")

See, that right there is absolutely fine! Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the deaths, but I'm not a parent so I'm not looking at it like that. But you nailed it on the head....you would have taken your child out for a few minutes! You don't write letters or tell people that they should have though about their entire audience when they were putting their artistic vision on the field...you just let the world keep going and you do what you feel is right for those you are responsible for.

Seriously, well done! :worthy: :worthy:

Didn't catch this the first time around. Excellent post. Parental supervison and moderation is the way to be! :worthy: