Violence and Phantom 2008

Phantom's total commitment to brutality in this show is a big part of what makes it sell so incredibly well. So, yes. The violence works.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feh. I just see video of a guard chick in chains trying to get away from a white helmeted snare drummer, and think "bro, if you were wearing green instead, she wouldn't be trying to run..." :worthy:

Edited by mobrien

More death and violence in opera, movies, all kinds of modern entertainment. Death sells. Newspapers, TV, and the InterTubes (thank you indicted Sen. Stevens...so gonna miss that guy).

Violence and death....funny how sex is always simulated with a dance. In many operas, musicals....the couple dances instead of copulating. Anyway....thanks for the thread....allows me to take the ridiculous and make it even MORE ridiculous.

Succeeded once again.

I would have thought that the original post was a little too sensitive, but, in Allentown I actually heard two women behind me complaining about the violence. I think there are those that will be very put off by Phantom's violence, just as there will be those who will be put off by the Cadets narration. But, we just need to understand that they have a vision and if that means turning off some, then so be it.

This thread got totally murdered. (ironic?)

To add something that's actually constructive, violence is a part of life. You can't hide it from your kids forever. ;)

Edited by Mike_L

I would have thought that the original post was a little too sensitive, but, in Allentown I actually heard two women behind me complaining about the violence. I think there are those that will be very put off by Phantom's violence, just as there will be those who will be put off by the Cadets narration. But, we just need to understand that they have a vision and if that means turning off some, then so be it.

Lets have the Cadets narrators go at it with Phantom's drum majors and see who wins. :worthy:

Don't let your children anywhere near high school. Shakespeare has some killer books out.

I'm loving these biblical refrences hahaha.

Seriously this thread is silly, don't like it then don't watch; but #### we hear and see more violence in our normal lives that's far worse than this, so no. This reminds me of those people who complain about ancient art because it often displays nude bodies, omg get over it, must we make everything rainbows and butterflies? :worthy: .................. :worthy: , :worthy:

Hey, they're willing to kill one of their own Drum Majors at the end just to please the audience. That's pure dedication baby! :worthy:

Just throw some nudity in someone else's show and everyone will forget about the violence.

Seriously, I don't get how this is really a concern.....didn't people graphically die in Faust? I wasn't too active on these boards then, but I imagine no one seemed to mind when the devil dramatically stole the soul of someone.

What about 007? They ran around shooting guns!

How about Pirates of Lake Mendota? They stabbed a dude, stole his clothes, and stuck the murder weapon into the ground!

It's a story and it's dramatic. I understand if maybe you want to censor children from this, but drum corps is not Disney. And if you're worried about children seeing pretend death on the field and getting warped by that, don't ever let your kids go near a tour bus! Things far worse than pretend death happen on there!