Blue Stars make DCI History

Congrats to the Blue Stars!

To my knowledge, they are the FIRST corps to break into finals (I think we can call it breaking into finals after a 29 year absence) and achieve the following:

1. Take 8th place.

2. Score above 90.

3. Move up six spots in one season. (could be wrong on this one)

I'm sorry to say that none of these three achievements are "firsts".

1. Cavaliers were 8th in 1974 after missing the '73 finals. So were Crossmen when they broke back into the 1980 finals, as well as Glassmen in 1997, and Madison in 2003.

2. The 1997 Glassmen scored a 90 in their return to finals.

3. Numerous corps have moved up six spots from one year to the next, most notably '81 SCV.

Ironically, though, the other distinction you mentioned in your post is a more significant record - returning from a 28-year absence from the top 12. That even tops the Boston Crusaders (27 years). I doubt we will ever see a continuously-active corps top that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that might have contributed to the Blue Stars' improvement from a strong div2 corps to a legit open class corps is the kids of the Blue Stars alums who marched back in the 70s became drum corps age in the 2000s and those parents/Alums really worked to help the corps get stronger. So second generation Blue Stars might have something to do with it.

I marched with the corps in the late 80s when we were a divIII corps and the feeling we had back then was that we were the keepers of the Blue Star flame and that as long as we kept the flame alive we knew that someday the corps would make it back to top 12 -- Current director Brad Furlano was our DM -- I know it is extremely gratifying for all of the members who marched with the Blue Stars through the 80s, 90s and 2000s when we were a small corps to see them realize our dream of returning to the top 12.

...or inspire other beloved corps to, at least, consider a return to the activity, be it in open class, world class, or DCA.

I would love to see the likes of The Freelancers, Suncoast Sound, Guardsmen, Florida Wave, Marauders, etc, etc, etc, come back to entertain and add more to an activity that had just experienced a highly memorable year!

I miss terribly to the point of CRYING every corps you just mentioned.

Having said that..................GO BLUE STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very good friend of mine, Steve Severance (who marched in the 70's - 80's Blue Stars whose SON also marched the last seven years in Blue Stars) is probably going ballistic right about now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: GO BLUE STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hata off to the Blue Stars for their achievement this year! It's great to see one of the original DCI stalwarts back in Finals. I hope they can continue to climb the competition ladder in the years to come!!!

Fran

To my knowledge, they are the FIRST corps to break into finals (I think we can call it breaking into finals after a 29 year absence) and achieve the following:

1. Take 8th place.

2. Score above 90.

3. Move up six spots in one season. (could be wrong on this one)

In 1983, Suncoast Sound broke into finals by placing 5th in Semis (dropping to 6th in Finals), the highest ever for a finalist debut. Their finals score was an 86.05, a very high score on the old tic system. By comparison, the Garfield Cadets won with a 94.4. This was the last year the tic system was used at finals. In 1982, Suncoast finished 13th, making a seven-spot jump into finals, a very big jump.

Giving you the 90 thing, you get one out of three right. Not a bad percentage if you're batting in baseball :)

Congrats to the Blue Stars! It must be the King Horns!! :worthy: Seriously though, all the corps the play on Kings I think have the darkest sound in DCI, but that's another topic. It's gonna be fun to see you and my beloved BK battle it out over the coming years!! Anyone Blue has got to be good! :worthy:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

And this one kind of predates me but the fledgling Spirit of Atlanta went from like 21st in 1976 to 6th in 1977. People that heard that corps said they were incredibly loud.

You're close - Spirit's first competitive season was 1977 (they weren't fledgling, they were new) and they finished 21st. In their 2nd season (1978) they finished 6th.

Congratulations Blue Stars. I think this may be the first time in their history that they have broken 90.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 27th Lancers. They finished 20th in 1974 and 4th in 1975. A greater placement increase (16)than any other corps mentioned. That being said, way to go Blue Stars. Glad to have you back in finals. The last year they made finals was the last year I marched and they made finals this year when I was on the field again with the CAC. Maybe it was me? :worthy:

You're close - Spirit's first competitive season was 1977 (they weren't fledgling, they were new) and they finished 21st. In their 2nd season (1978) they finished 6th.

Congratulations Blue Stars. I think this may be the first time in their history that they have broken 90.

In div 1 the previous record was an 89.something.

d2\3, it was a 93.925, in 2005

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 27th Lancers. They finished 20th in 1974 and 4th in 1975. A greater placement increase (16)than any other corps mentioned. That being said, way to go Blue Stars. Glad to have you back in finals. The last year they made finals was the last year I marched and they made finals this year when I was on the field again with the CAC. Maybe it was me? :worthy:

The Kilties finished 28th in 1976 and 10th in 1977. The Guardsmen placed 31 in 1975 and 12 in 1976. :worthy:

Edited by mcjordansc