Cadets Classy Retreat

How BD left the field

How Cavies left the field...any questions???

I can applaud the Cavaliers for what they did without criticizing the Blue Devils for what they did. This isn't the tick and credit game, where you can only praise one corps if you slam another. Every corps in the finale handled retreat in their own way, and as an outsider looking in I didn't have a problem with any of it.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which corps were not screwing around during retreat? Cadets, for sure. I am assuming SCV and Blue Stars based on past experience. The Youtube video I saw indicates Phantom maintained composure. Others?

To me, it shows respect for the traditions of the past and respect for one's competitors. For decades, it was part of drum corps etiquitte, and was a visible sign to those on the outside of the pride, self-respect and discipline gained through marching. You stood quietly while the scores were announced. You snapped to attention when your name was called. You marched in formation past the champion to salute their achievement, while still showing the world the integrity of your corps. In return, the champions would snap to attention to show your respect for your competitors.

Drum corps is one of the very few places you would see young people show that kind of dignity, and demeanor at retreat made a big impression on participants and observers alike.

Now it's little more than a bunch of kids screwing around. If I wanted to see that, I'd just hang out at the mall.

Times have changed! The Cavaliers may have played around during retreat, which they always do, read the book "The Green Machine", this group is famous for more pranks than you would know, but they showed Phantom the respect they deserved and didn't walk off like a mad child. They could have, they dropped a place, but they didn't!

Much of this non-professional behavior during retreat could be avoided if DCI would simply go back to having the corps play themselves off the field. It used to be great to hear corps play their corps song etc... and then march past and salute the winning corps. This also non-directly taught respect, sportsmanship, and dignity..... something which seems to be lacking by some.

So true, how are they supposed to act if they never do a retreat!

this isn't 1974, you're not allowed to hit people in the face with metal horns because they crossed over a white line signifying metaphorical territory. i get what you're going for, but that's not culturally acceptable anymore in drum corps.

i'm sure the DCP posters would get behind this kid and contribute to his lawyer fund, if he happened to say, stretch his leg into the neck region of said performer.

I would donate to the fund, and I'm not even old school =/

In regards to retreat, The Cadets showed class at all times while I marched. Did they leave the field quickly after retreat was over? Yes..But I never heard any "trash talking" or lack of respect for any other corps when it came to them..Although we were never close to Phantom during retreats, they also showed a good amount of class out there..Even when at one finals, a certain corps was talking trash to their contras while entering the field..They didn't say a word in response. Also, of course corps do retreat differently..Some more laid back, and others much more steady..And I have no problem with corps being laid back and having a good time..But when scores are being announced I think it shows respect to NOT draw attention to yourself or your corps..Let the fans show their appreciation for the corps being announced instead of them being distracted by what some other corps is doing. I guess it has something to do with the way we were taught to act during retreat, but that's the way I feel about it..

Ok, so I just spent like 30 mins reading this topic and I'm glad that it has finally been brought up. I marched the Cadets 05-07 and saw some very disturbing things at retreats those 3 years. I am not surprised at all by what I have read. After marching with the Cadets I lost a lot of respect for a few drum corps that I had previously been a fan of. The worst incident that I was a part of was at finals in 07. I was on the edge of our retreat block on the side closest to the blue devils. At the announcement of 2nd place, we were barraged by terrible slurs that I cant even imagine saying; including "take that band fags". Not only is that totally classless, but the guy who said it apparently forgot that he had just won a marching band show and therefore is also a quote "band ###". I am glad that light is finally being shed on this subject because something has to be done about the total lack of sportsmanship, either by dci or the corps themselves. In my years of marching I always had respect for the phantom regiment and the santa clara vanguard because of how they represent their organizations while in uniform.