Drum Corps Bloopers!

"Years ago" was the 1961 VFW Nationals in Miami. The corps was the undefeated Cavaliers, in finals.

The soloist, on French Horn bugle, was the legendary Chuck Smrz. Mellophones had not yet been invented.

The unwilling mouthpiece donor was Billy Dragland. Bill recently got back into action with the Classic Cavaliers, and I believe was with the CAC this year.

Something similar happened to us in 1985. We had a mello soloist who had a valve start sticking. so just before he stepped out of the form to go up and play his solo he reached over and grabbed the horn of the guy next to him and gave him his horn.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a couple that happened to me.

in 1986 I was in the pit and played the big hits in the closer on the concert bass. at DCM prelims, I think, I hit the first hit and felt the head give way. Realizing I just broke the head I loosened the bracket and spun the bass so I could play on the other side.

in 1987 coming onto the field, I played 4th bass, I ran straight into a small pole which I think was for the coaches headset electronics. This pole was exactly knee high for me and I caught it perfectly and went straight down and landed square on my bass. hurt like hell and I'm pretty sure I limped through the whole show.

Crossmen 2006... I don't remember where (either Indianapolis or Denver I believe) but we kept losing power. If you're familiar with our 2006 show then you can probably see where this is going...

During the radio segment there was the line "finding the hottest singles in your area" followed by a two beat drum solo going into the percussion feature. Well we lost power right before that line and, well, I guess what's a radio show without dead air? :tongue:

Funniest moment all summer (in retrospect) was definitely when the 10 of us looked at each other and realized the show had come to an absolute standstill.

The recovery was pretty sweet, though. Pit miraculously came together and somehow timed it with the battery, though when we got to the end of the first phrase we all realized we were a measure ahead. We took a collective breath and came back in as if nothing had happened.

I seem to remember a lot of our mellophones losing their 3rd valve slides during the "Drum Battle" in '04 (BK). With all of the fighting movements we had to make we could never really keep our hands in "playing position" so we often lost slides.

By they way that was a major flaw (in my opinion) in the King Mellophones. The screw that held the slide in place was too small so it never really caught the slide that well.

I know I lost mine on Semifinals night....first time that happened to me. I was so ###### off. Luckily we made it to the Saturday show.

Like I said "there were many more" ...

Ok the mystery pants....

A little history here.....I marched both 90 and 92 Snare line and a little known fact was in 90 our uniform pants were supposed to be solid purple! Yep Purple. Wouldn’t have looked that bad actually. So in the 2 weeks before 1st tour in 90 during our "ten to tens" we were given run through pants, kind'a as a hype. They were the bright orange "MC Hammer" baggies. Weird looking at best, but there was a major amount of electricity when we put them on to do run-throughs....pretty cool....well, they were liked so much that looking at the solid purple pants kind'a brought a seriousness to the corps that really wasn't zany enough. And the bright orange ones were great, but probably too crazy for the field. That's when the new purple edition was brought in and actually became our uniform pants for the entire year.

Well, these obviously made great souvies for 91 and 92. They sold like crazy as the story goes....and here's the worst part...

Fast forward to 92 when a certain Drum Major forgot, yes FORGOT to bring his uniform to finals (and our housing site was nearly an hour away) both him and the assistant DM had to scramble for Uniforms. Souvie truck to the rescue.... and the only pants they had were...you guessed it - the bright orange baggies!!!

Check the vid on this one - at times you can see that his suspenders flat out fall off during the show - too funny. What an age out memory that would be...

Wow - I’m giving it all away today ...And I just remembered another one from that same show involving the Tenor line - any guesses???

Shimmy forgot his pants? If there is one person in the world i would think wouldn't do something like that, it would be Jeff. But it seemed to work out, I always thought that was planned.

Edited by Newseditor44

Shimmy would have forgotten his head if it wasn't screwed on. I taught him in high school. LOL!!! Now he's married and all grown up and on Facebook.

Shimmy would have forgotten his head if it wasn't screwed on. I taught him in high school. LOL!!! Now he's married and all grown up and on Facebook.

Heh....Dream's center snare in 05....we meet at the Torrance Toyota complex around 11pm for a midnight bus departure for NorCal.

Load up....board the bus....the engine revvs....and THEN Omar realises he forgot HIS ENTIRE UNIFORM at home!!!

Fortunately he didn't live THAT far away, but that's like a drummer forgetting his sticks!!

Suffice to say the corps vets were not amused...

:tongue: Great thread. Keep 'em coming even if you think they're obvious. The only ones I've heard of before were the Garfield dominos.

Well this is more of an obvious one....I think

'04 Blue Devils.

When they changed their field exit for finals night. They moved the whole corps like a train off the field and into the tunnel. From what I heard a tenor player totally bit it right in the endzone. Luckily he was like 2nd to last so it wasn't a total disaster. I think he managed to stay on his knees so it was a pretty good save. I've tried watching it on the DVD but its hard to see.

Well this is more of an obvious one....I think

'04 Blue Devils.

When they changed their field exit for finals night. They moved the whole corps like a train off the field and into the tunnel. From what I heard a tenor player totally bit it right in the endzone. Luckily he was like 2nd to last so it wasn't a total disaster. I think he managed to stay on his knees so it was a pretty good save. I've tried watching it on the DVD but its hard to see.

Nope he was IN FRONT of the other three. He hit his knees and swiveled around right out of ther way and got up behind them and kept going. If you put the DVD on percusion cam you'll see it perfectly.