From inside Phantom Regiment Headquarters

1812....or New World!!!

Keep up with the old school with new school theme. Play 1812 with some other russian type things....yep..

New World, maybe. 1812, hell no! PR might like it but, it doesn't like them.

I think a Phantom Regiment version of the "Phantom of the Opera" could be quite challenging and entertaining.

The version I have in mind is not a selection of the most popular musical numbers like SCV. Although, some would have to be included. To the majority, the Phantom of the Opera is just a love story about a rich nobleman and a poor ballet dancer turned opera star and her romantic stalker who looks like the victim of a botched face-lift procedure. But, there is more to it than that like the phantom's personal struggles. I urge you to get a copy of the Canadian version of the Phantom of the Opera with Colm Wilkinson playing the Phantom, and note how he (Colm) darkens the Phantom's tone with almost desperation and struggle to deal with his personal demons while trying to win over the love of his life.

The prologue makes a fine opener and the Music of the Night a reoccurring theme, but the dark powerful numbers from Act 2 involving the Phantom are where the emotion is really at. Listen to the Canadian recording Act 2 scene 5 - 9 and see what you think. There is something unique there that no one has considered.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elgar - Enigma Variations (could you just imagine this hornline playing Nimrod?)

Yep!

And that's a show that you'd DEFINITELY need to keep the white uniforms, if you catch my drift. :tongue:

New World, maybe. 1812, hell no! PR might like it but, it doesn't like them.

Not sure where you get that idea from, that 1812 doesn't like, or hasn't been good to PR

With the exception of 92, where 1812 was not the probloem with the show, 1812 has been better to PR than spartacus was before 08.

Regiment was 5th in 81 (spartacus)

4th in 82 (spartacus again)

4th in 83 (1812)

4th in 84 (1812 again)

The 8th place in 92 had nothing to do with the music choices that year. 92 was a tweener staff year much like 86 was.

So I think 1812, if done properly would be an excellent choice.

After seeing what JD did with arrangements for spartacus, I would love to see what he could do with 1812

PR after having performed this show more than once, with Sparticus being the exception, it's time to put 1812 to rest.

IMO Carolina's last performance of that piece although done very well was enough for a while.

Let's remember that 1812 was only part of the 83, 84 and 92 shows. There was a lot more music in there than just 1812.

1983 - Serenade for Strings * Cossack Dance * Dance Neopolitan * 1812 Overture

1984 - Scythian Suite * Armenian Dances * Trypitch * 1812 Overture

1992 - War and Peace - Marche Slav * La Marseillaise * 1812 Overture

"MARTY!!..you're not thinking fourth dimensionally! "

"Right!,..i have a real problem with that..."

OOOOoOOOOooOHh there we go....how's about a "Back to the Future" show!? :smile:

Which one of these songs fits the Regiment "classical" concept?

"THE POWER OF LOVE"

Performed by Huey Lewis and The News

"BACK IN TIME"

Performed by Huey Lewis and The News

"HEAVEN IS ONE STEP AWAY"

Performed by Eric Clapton

"TIME BOMB TOWN"

Performed by Lindsey Buckingham

"MR. SANDMAN"

Performed by The Four Aces

"THE BALLAD OF DAVY CROCKETT"

Performed by Fess Parker

"THE WALLFLOWER (DANCE WITH ME HENRY)"

Performed by Etta James

"NIGHT TRAIN"

Performed by Marvin Berry & The Starlighters

"PLEDGING MY LOVE"

Performed by Johnny Ace

"EARTH ANGEL (WILL YOU BE MINE)"

Performed by Marvin Berry & The Starlighters

"JOHNNY B. GOODE"

Performed by Mark Campbell (as Marty McFly) with the Starlighters

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Re: Door. Wrong thread.

Re: 2003/2007...The horn book wasn't the problem with either of those shows. The reason 06/08 works is due to the visual/GE aspect of their "storylines."

Re: Lord of the Rings...This is a good suggestion if they use non-related music, IMHO. You know, use the storyline (BATTLES!!), use other music. Perhaps a little bit of Alexander Nevsky, maybe some quotations of 1812--not the whole note part, but others. Shostakovich had some good stuff to offer...War Symphony--8th? 10th??

EPHPHING DELICIOUS. yesssssss.

Gotcha covered there!

I like the suggestion of various Requiems, not just one alone.

Anyone for La Sacra de Printemps?

We read that in November 93 leading up to the 94 show. I said to myself that if they put that on the stands in December I was going to Cadets. Not a good arrangement. See also 2000 or whenever it was. As disappointed as I was with the "repeat" feel of the 94 show, it was much better than the Printemps/Firebird show was looking on first pass.

Skajerk, Re: Symphnonie PHantastique...Agreed...wholeheartedly! When you consider the "Programme" of the piece, it offers some REALLY great visual/GE elements for the corps. And it would also be a great lead-in for a 2010 Berlioz/Harold in Italy show!

Verdi's Requiem as part of a "Requiem" show would be a blast, literally! And considering Verdi's original intent for the piece being an all-Italian, multi-composer Requiem for...oh, old age and time have me forgetting who it was a Requiem for. Vittorio Emmanuel whazzis name? You MuEd guys help me out.

Also, Re: Pictures...a great way to employ it, IMHO, would be as part of a Thomas Crown Affair show...art theme, and all. Boston, are you reading???

Eine Alpensinfonie (An Alpine Symphony), Op. 64, is a large symphonic poem composed by Richard Strauss between 1911 and 1915. A typical performance entails upwards of forty-five minutes of continuous music. It depicts a full-day excursion on a mountain in the Bavarian Alps, recalling in vivid orchestral expression the composer's own experiences hiking at age fourteen.

Ahh...another man of the cloth! Just had Alpine Symphony in the car on the way back from Waco yesterday. Meeting regarding drum corps in Texas. More to come. Regarding the Strauss, remarkably similar to Zarathustra in length, tone, music, and basic ebb and flow. GREAT SUGGESTION!!

BTW, I'm assuming that you noticed the STRAUSS in SPARTACUS, yes?

Sadly, Williams (and to reference an earlier post, Maslanka) are all but impossible to get the rights for . . .

I used to play in Metropolitan Winds Community Band in Dallas and we played a full John Williams concert for the 1999 release of Episode 1. VERY fun! We were 1/2 full in Fort Worth's Bass Hall and 20 seats shy of selling out Dallas' Meyerson Symphony Center. Didn't hurt that our conductor and music director, Randy Bass, has music that was recorded on "Summon the Heroes" with Williams' music. 96 Olympics, I believe? Music of Superman and Star Wars, Randy had arranged specifically for Met Winds--GREAT stuff!

How about "Also sprach Zarathustra?" Just the opening chords would be worth it.

Boston 2008, was it? Great music. Loved hearing it, even if it wasn't a full-out Zarathustra.

Carmina Burana

Post #1, huh? Welcome to the Planet!

Requiems that would be great source material, some of which have already been mentioned.

Agreed. Great stuff.

will it be titled "Adventures Under a Darkened Sky: 2?"

Please no--would have been my age-out. Couldn't stand it, seeing that title again--would rip my heart out all over again.

I think a Phantom Regiment version of the "Phantom of the Opera" could be quite challenging and entertaining.

This could be a fun suggestion, considering the history the corps has with POTO! 2009, too--very appropriate year, no? How about the POTO theme with the Faust formula? None of ALW's music--all traditional, classical stuff. As much as I like ALW's POTO, the music isn't quite as dark as could be assembled, and JD would be able to pick some goodies! And what with all of the death in POTO, you need darker stuff to work with that ALW offers.

Could include the Bach organ thing from the original POTO B&W movie, too. Toccata & Fugue? Do I have the right one? Not the Disco version, this time.

:smile:

This concept would work well with the Les Mis suggestions, as well. Maybe an all French composer theme? Kind of negates the 1812...oops. But would be interesting to hear JD pull in some Debussy to produce some more classic Phantom stuff.

And on the topic of Operas again...Phantom at the Opera??? Title for that Opera show we are all calling for when they finally deliver!

i've put this one out there in previous PR suggestion threads but...

how about "Dracula" using at least some of the Philip Glass music made for the 1931 film.

Amazon.com: Philip Glass: Dracula

Has potential to "fit the formula".

What about a "swashbuckling" type show consisting of excerpts from the following movie soundtracks:

- The Sea Hawk (Erich Korngold)

- The Perfect Storm (James Horner)

- Pirates of the Caribbean (Hans Zimmer)

Edited by Land_Surfer

The 8th place in 92 had nothing to do with the music choices that year. 92 was a tweener staff year much like 86 was.

But we still had Jim Wren, Dan Farrell, Marty Hurley, John Brazale, Bob Smith, Mark Glasscoe, Michael Cesario, David St. Angel, etc.--obviously those folks weren't "tweeners." Whatever the reasons for our drop in placement, you can be sure it wasn't due to a lack of staffing experience.