Best/Worst/Weirdest fields you've ever marched on.

My very first show (early 70's) was in Yorkshire, England at the Harrogate cattle grounds (used to hold agricultural shows).

Sounds like my first show with Dagenham...did 2 performances at some country fair. I didn't march the furst gig because I wasn't yet confident in marchning the show (I think it was the weekend of my 3rd rehearsal...came in middle of the season). Marched the 2nd show after a rehearsal....but did it in black socks since I didn't bring shoes with me (didn't think I'd be marching that day....John Johnson said to jump in the 2nd show)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lexington Kentucky, can't remember the school name. The field looked like it hadn't been taken care of in like 10 years and they got ###### that we used it. The parking lot was an improvement.

in hs, i marched on a field that was being resodded or it just rained so much the past week, yet they still had the competition, that the entire field was mud. nothing like hitting a spot then sliding a few inches because the ground your on isnt solid or everytime you take a step worrying about losing your shoe to the mud.

Best Grass: Tie between Arizona State and Columbus Crew.

Best Turf: The like, sponge turf, some show in NY had.

Worst: West Something philly. And I think we're doing it again this year. Conversation from On-field stretching

Surf vet who had march the field before: So, good technique might help here.

Section leader who had march there years past: Nope, not even good technique will help you here. Just don't fall down.

US Open- Marion, OH....horrible...

New Berlin, WI...4th of July show...85, 86, 87. There was a big hill behind the back hash...big hill.

Pittsfield, MA was always a trip.

Make sure to ask someone that marched Magic in '99 about Pittsfield, MA!! Speaking of bad fields though, it was a show site somewhere in Alabama or Mississippi where the irrigation system had just been replaced and the trenches were not properly back filled. Yeah, that was an adventure.

Best: Univ of Colorado, Boulder. (can't recall name of stadium)

Worst: Just down the road in Golden, CO. Colorado School of Mines. (not mimes). American Legion prelims '77. It had rained, the whole field was a swamp. We were losing shoes in the mud. You would think an engineering school could help design a field that would DRAIN !

Seviereville, TN. It has a crown so high that if you are on the back sideline, you can't see the drum major.

Best grass Fields- Mile High, Ames Field in Michigan city

Any field with turf was great (though Bloomington was a little weird)

Worst fields- We had some bad ones, but the ones that stand out are Port Huron, Michigan and Oswego, Illinois...

This is completely personal but one place that I particularly hated was the Georgia dome. The turf was great...there was just WAY too much stuff on it, with the 3 sets of hashes and such. Using the dot system, you're trained to look at and use every piece of information on the field as a reference, and you get used to doing it on fields with hashes, fields without them, and even fields with 2 sets of hashes, but the 3 sets of them, and all the other stuff on the field at the georgia dome was just too much information for me to take in. Talk about overload. I was glad to get out of that place.