DCA To Stay In Rochester For 2010/2011

As much as I want this contest further south, for now - this was the correct decision. If you have a local base that enjoys what we have to offer, and near enough to the largest number of fans in the shortest driving distance, then I can't see this as anything but good.

Hopefully though, DCA will evolve and grow up as an organization to have a more nationalized reach - then maybe someday....

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you forget tornado warnings we had at Prelims in 2006? Sun was on the way to the stadium and had to turn around and go back to our hotel after being informed by DCA that there was a tornado warning in the area. High wind, rain, 40 degree temps, WORST CONDITIONS EVER!!! DCA should have been ashamed to make corps perform in that weather. What hype, the only thing we cared about while warming up was keeping warm = worst performance ever! The wind blew our prop, an 8-foot cube made of steel, and almost took out our horn instructor during the field warmup!

yes it sucked in 06. we all know that. and DCA learned from it and I would hope have backup plans if such a situation occured again.

As much as I want this contest further south, for now - this was the correct decision. If you have a local base that enjoys what we have to offer, and near enough to the largest number of fans in the shortest driving distance, then I can't see this as anything but good.

Hopefully though, DCA will evolve and grow up as an organization to have a more nationalized reach - then maybe someday....

i have to ask you. do you think you can get a crowd of at lease 10,000 people in a southern locale? i think that is a minium that it would take. and you would have to have a regular season show to prove it. back in the late 50's &realy 60's cru held a show in late june. we would get 12,000- 18,000 people everyyear. so in 1968 we bid for dca and becuase of the we got it for many years. the biggest crowds and the most money was made there.untill you can do that it will stay in the NE.

No way, Prelims 06 was the best show of the year! Talk about energy!

I would have loved to be in the audience (all 10 of them) to hear what we were putting out.

we were there,................under those conditions, it was and amazing spectacle. the determination demonstrated by each corps and members was really something to witness,..................................I was outside, and ducked below between corps just to re prepare,................even the people in the box were in unbearable conditions...............however, the real unsung heroes of the day were the on field judges and staff,.................they took that crap all day,........................

Yuppers,Fran! I watched the poor folks from DCP trying to keep their respective laptops dry as the wind was pushing the rain into the box sideways as I awaited the sheets ( Pretty much soaked with water and running ink) to check on behalf of Cru! I live 2 minutes from the stadium and it is RARE for that type of weather in RaChaCha! LOL! :smile:

We had to sit FAR away from the open windows in the press box. I didn't cover any visual programs at all that day, just music, because I couldn't sit close enough to look out at the field.

We had to sit FAR away from the open windows in the press box. I didn't cover any visual programs at all that day, just music, because I couldn't sit close enough to look out at the field.

it's a good thing they didn't hold it in florida. we got pounded a lot worse that rochester. you definatly don't ever want to hold dca here.

Side Note: It was fun watching you trying to keep your Hawaiian shirt intact as the wind tried to rip it off you!

HA! :smile:

LOL... It was a Hawaiian shirt with a thermal shirt underneath it that day!!!!

Fran

LOL... It was a Hawaiian shirt with a thermal shirt underneath it that day!!!!

Fran

I'm very pleased with this decision. With the stability of having the championships in a city like

Rochester allows the association as well as the city to develop a relationship beyond just the Drum Corps championships. I know the elected officials in Rochester look very favorably on DCA and for years I have felt the DCA Championships should be more than just a "drum corps" event when it comes to a locale. Hopefully the city of Rochester as well as DCA will realize it is time to expand past what has been done before and really develop this into a Labor Day festival. This would allow for the drum corps visitors, as well as others to really see what Rochester, and western NYS for that matter, has to offer. There is so much more to see and do in this part of the world, but it has never been promoted. As I have stated, with this stability maybe the time is right for this to move beyond the bounds of what has been done in the past.

I'm very pleased with this decision. With the stability of having the championships in a city like

Rochester allows the association as well as the city to develop a relationship beyond just the Drum Corps championships. I know the elected officials in Rochester look very favorably on DCA and for years I have felt the DCA Championships should be more than just a "drum corps" event when it comes to a locale. Hopefully the city of Rochester as well as DCA will realize it is time to expand past what has been done before and really develop this into a Labor Day festival. This would allow for the drum corps visitors, as well as others to really see what Rochester, and western NYS for that matter, has to offer. There is so much more to see and do in this part of the world, but it has never been promoted. As I have stated, with this stability maybe the time is right for this to move beyond the bounds of what has been done in the past.

well old friend you have struck gold again. you are so right about this. ed you should get involved in this.