DCA To Stay In Rochester For 2010/2011

I'd be really interested to see what other places were considered as "Finalists" for hosting finals.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wind blew our prop, an 8-foot cube made of steel, and almost took out our horn instructor during the field warmup!

It hit me when I was backfield conducting the ballad!!! Sweet corps picture too... mud from the waist down and blue/purple paint from the waist up. SEXY MUCHO.

Did you forget tornado warnings we had at Prelims in 2006? Sun was on the way to the stadium and had to turn around and go back to our hotel after being informed by DCA that there was a tornado warning in the area. High wind, rain, 40 degree temps, WORST CONDITIONS EVER!!! DCA should have been ashamed to make corps perform in that weather. What hype, the only thing we cared about while warming up was keeping warm = worst performance ever! The wind blew our prop, an 8-foot cube made of steel, and almost took out our horn instructor during the field warmup!

You are complaining about the weather and how you SHOULDNT of been on the field.

But I know that you WOULD have STILL be complaining to THIS day about how you didn't get to perform in 2006 if they said "no prelims, top 10 open class and top 3 class A make finals from their August scores.

Now imagine how that would sit? Probably not too good. Everyone had to perform in that weather. And yes, even me, and my parents sat in the stands for most of the shows(next to Judges upstairs.) Granted, I didn't like the weather... but its no reason to complain about a city. No one was REALLY injured or lost their life because of it. Lets just play a small game and imagine how these 2 scenarios would sit.

1.) Midwest, somewhere like Oklahoma City, Dallas Area, or something like that.

A tornado hits the city during the middle of prelims and a direct hit on the stadium. Thousands of fans and even corps waiting to go onto the field/warm up are killed or injured very seriously.

2.) West, San Fransisco etc.

A earthquake during Finals during Retreat before the announce 2nd place. Again, many fans are hurt because of the collapse of the stadium. Fire breaks out and some corps members are injured trying to save anyone possible.

Now would you blame that on the City and DCA? I think not... so lets no blame them for something the have NO control over, or something that you would complain about anyway.

PS- Hope nothing like this ever happens, I dont want to seem like I put a curse on drum corps, I was just making a statement to prove a point.

Edited because I can't spell.

Edited by Spaml6

the fact remains DCA isn't leaving the north east untill a vast majority of corps are from another area. and they have to be able to sell the show and that means making a lot of money for a few years with regular season dca shows. i just don't see it in my lifetime.

DCA President Gil Silva and the DCA Executive Board are pleased to announce that the DCA World Championships will be staying in Drum Corps Friendly Rochester, New York for at least 2 more years. The 2009 championship completes a record setting 4 year run in Rochester. Inquiries and bids were...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...5&Itemid=39

What a great city to have drum corps in. :smile:

No way, Prelims 06 was the best show of the year! Talk about energy!

I would have loved to be in the audience (all 10 of them) to hear what we were putting out.

Everyone had to perform in that weather. And yes, even me, and my parents sat in the stands for most of the shows(next to Judges upstairs.) Granted, I didn't like the weather... but its no reason to complain about a city. No one was REALLY injured or lost their life because of it.

I agree.

We've all beaten this topic to death in other threads since 2006.... but IMO, the weather on Prelims day in '06 was a fluke. A complete freak of nature.

What are the odds of a tropical storm that has been churning around for a week or so heading on a direct line from the southern USA to the city of Rochester, without losing strength or changing direction? Slim, at best. But that's what happened that day.

Again IMO, DCA officials had no choice but to do what they did.... run Prelims that day, as long as there was no threat of lightning. Remember, the weather forecast at that time was for more rain on that Sunday. Thank God that didn't happen....but based on the weather forecast, what was DCA to do? Scrap Prelims on Saturday and hope to get it all done on Sunday (including the alumni show), when it still might be raining?

NONE OF US CAN CONTROL THE WEATHER. I am tired of this whole "God, that day in '06 was awful" line of conversation. Yes, it WAS awful... for all of us who had to be there that day.

You guys think it was bad down on the field..... it was worse up in the press box, with the wind and the rain blowing straight through the open area, and right at all of us upstairs, all day and all night.

But we all survived. End of story. Sheesh.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled thread.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I agree.

We've all beaten this topic to death in other threads since 2006.... but IMO, the weather on Prelims day in '06 was a fluke. A complete freak of nature.

What are the odds of a tropical storm that has been churning around for a week or so heading on a direct line from the southern USA to the city of Rochester, without losing strength or changing direction? Slim, at best. But that's what happened that day.

Again IMO, DCA officials had no choice but to do what they did.... run Prelims that day, as long as there was no threat of lightning. Remember, the weather forecast at that time was for more rain on that Sunday. Thank God that didn't happen....but based on the weather forecast, what was DCA to do? Scrap Prelims on Saturday and hope to get it all done on Sunday (including the alumni show), when it still might be raining?

NONE OF US CAN CONTROL THE WEATHER. I am tired of this whole "God, that day in '06 was awful" line of conversation. Yes, it WAS awful... for all of us who had to be there that day.

You guys think it was bad down on the field..... it was worse up in the press box, with the wind and the rain blowing straight through the open area, and right at all of us upstairs, all day and all night.

Fran

the last time before 06 that a storm like that hit rochester was 1972. you people got to give it a break. you stand a better chance of a bad storm in the south anywhere. and nobody will go west. if you want to kill dca go west and no corps will go. now that's a fact.

the last time before 06 that a storm like that hit rochester was 1972. you people got to give it a break. you stand a better chance of a bad storm in the south anywhere. and nobody will go west. if you want to kill dca go west and no corps will go. now that's a fact.

Twice in 34 years, though. Rochester's cursed, I tell ya! :smile:

I agree.

Fran

Yuppers,Fran! I watched the poor folks from DCP trying to keep their respective laptops dry as the wind was pushing the rain into the box sideways as I awaited the sheets ( Pretty much soaked with water and running ink) to check on behalf of Cru! I live 2 minutes from the stadium and it is RARE for that type of weather in RaChaCha! LOL! :smile:

Kinda sucked but we made the best of it and it charged many performing corps to the best show of the year!

Side Note: It was fun watching you trying to keep your Hawaiian shirt intact as the wind tried to rip it off you!

HA! :blink: