DCA To Stay In Rochester For 2010/2011

With my official capacity... it's difficult for me to say ANYTHING without someone reading something into it that wasn't there... this is one of those cases... truth is, I am/was totally out of this (the bid process)... I have no inside information on details and would not disclose them if I did...

I do know that I for one had assumed the championship would be moved... but when I walked into the Eastman Museum at 8:45AM one Saturday in December and saw both Mayor Duffy and County Executive Maggie Brooks standing there, I went "wow... what's up" - then they made it clear that they wanted us to stay in Rochester and that they wanted to know from us what it would take... I can only assume they were told and ante'd up...

My comments about Orlando were half joking with my good friend (JJ) and half spelling out the obvious which is that one of the ways to lure the voting members into an area outside of the "traditional" DCA Northeast would be to offer additional transportation funds to "equalize" the bids... So no, DCA is not soliciting a bid from Orlando... lol... but hmmmmmm there certainly are a lot of reasons it could be one of the places where a package might be able to be put together...

Additional funds offered to voting members DOES NOT lure them into an area outside the traditional NE or help with a bid....just saying.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and LETS NOT FORGET it's the HOME of the GARBAGE PLATE!

Amen, Sir!

a wise move, plus by then I99 in Pa should be a year from being done :smile:

seriously....business wise a smart move. they want us, they get locals to the show and fans will go there. the fan base is not high enough in other areas to make up for what wont go too far from home Labor Day weekend.

i applaud DCA for this move. for NOW ( key word NOW) this makes all the sense is the world.

Rochester is the perfect place for now and a good decision for the collective. I'm hoping DCA will be receptive to a few changes in venue to spread the DCA good news to other communities. If you engage more people locally through championships changing venues (midwest, east, south, west), then more people are motivated to follow DCA for drum corps shows, championships, vacations, etc.

Money and stability are a great motivator to stay in the same place for a time, but that will become stale and less people will come eventually from my opinion and watching the crowds dwindle in Rochester. That is not knocking Rochester nor DCA, because they have been GREAT!

A huge positive for a midwest championships is..... no hurricanes!!

I'm really not willing to put a ton of time into a Championships Bid Packet until I'm convinced that DCA membership and executive committee would seriously consider a venue in the Midwest. We have some great venues and drum corps fans here in the Midwest.

....A huge positive for a midwest championships is..... no hurricanes!!....

ROFLMAO. Are you that afraid of the Hurcs? Just kidding. :smile:

Alas, a good point. HUGE rainstorms are something to be considered in late August/early September. And thank you to Tom for your vote of confidence. I accept the 2012 challenge. Hopefully the economy will be in a steady state and coming down to Orlando for a destination championship will be a reality.

I fully support a Midwestern location as well. i.e DeKalb, IL. I am biased since I am an alumnus of NIU. But DeKalb is VERY drum corps friendly and right smack dab in between 3 junior powerhouse corps.

Anywho, Rochester is a fantastic venue as well. They have all of their ducks in a row. I am impressed at the local leadership coming out to the DCA meeting. What a great show of support.

I am going to work quite seriously at the 2012 DCA Orlando bid packet. I hope others do so as well.

By the way, this is not the whole ,"my corps has to travel farther than your corps" conversation. I trust the DCA powers that be to make wise decisions in regards to future growth.

Alas, a good point. HUGE rainstorms are something to be considered in late August/early September. And thank you to Tom for your vote of confidence. I accept the 2012 challenge. Hopefully the economy will be in a steady state and coming down to Orlando for a destination championship will be a reality.

I fully support a Midwestern location as well. i.e DeKalb, IL. I am biased since I am an alumnus of NIU. But DeKalb is VERY drum corps friendly and right smack dab in between 3 junior powerhouse corps.

Anywho, Rochester is a fantastic venue as well. They have all of their ducks in a row. I am impressed at the local leadership coming out to the DCA meeting. What a great show of support.

I am going to work quite seriously at the 2012 DCA Orlando bid packet. I hope others do so as well.

By the way, this is not the whole ,"my corps has to travel farther than your corps" conversation. I trust the DCA powers that be to make wise decisions in regards to future growth.

Man ......Disney and DCA...what great week that would be!!!!!!......not to forget the warmth..this winter ever going to end?????? :smile:

After the miserable nightmare of Lackawanna County/WilkesBarre/Scranton and their inbred retarted ### bullying police farce (that's right, FARCE) I'd be JUST fine if DCA Finals NEVER left Rochester!!

We love Rochester, and.....more importantly......ROCHESTER LOVES AND APPRECIATES US!!!!

Congratulations on a move that not only makes sense financially, but keeps us in a community where the fans love us, the law enforcement agencies DO THEIR JOB of public protection without harrassment, and we have access to that....er, kick ### BBQ place whose name I can't think of, and LETS NOT FORGET it's the HOME of the GARBAGE PLATE!

....ever the Pragmatist Rich. Well said. :smile: ( I un-stomp you :beer: )

Edited by melligene

You sure about that? :smile:

1996 Lake Huron Cyclone