Best Third Place Show?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Phantom '93 was the last of a breed. It's the last major show I can think of to combine a couple of unrelated pieces of music and play em all without any thought to how they would tie it all together. That approach used to be the norm in DCI, but I'll confess it makes it hard for me to enjoy the show. Taken on their own, every section of the show is superb - but each section is also so different in style that I feel like I'm stopping and starting over every few minutes. If I want Fire of Eternal Glory, I'll pull up either of the specific recordings I have, rather than the full 1993 show.

They relate fine through the title. 20th-Century compositions (The modern) with the innovative use of the pit on the field and using things like hats as a frame (imagination), and the silks were very much imagination-invoking, based on some pretty cool modern art. I'd never thought about it that much, but that's how I made sense of the show, and it worked. I'm sure others have different ways of looking at it.

The theme is implicit, and very simple, rather than pretentious and relentlessly in your face with Disney-esque props and constumes like certain shows about Horses, or Endings, or Spin Cycles, Frameworks, Criminals, or a giant door in the middle of the field, but it's there.

I don't see Phantom 93 as the last of anything. It's rare that I see a show in DCI that isn't random pieces of music with different types of visual trappings to FORCE them to make sense as a package.

1981 Scouts all the way...Crazy powerful horns, awesome music,

and the most bad-a## rifle line I've ever seen! :thumbup:

2000 blue devils

'88 Devils

HM '90 Star