Countdown problems?

We went to the Regal in Marlborough, maybe because there were showings in Lowell and Burlington the attendance was just thirteen people mostly in the 50 plus age bracket. Sound was OK, the audience participation part was not needed as most seemed uncomfortable answering Steve's or Dennis' questions. More coverage on the corps getting ready for new season would have been better.

Dave Correia

RI Matadors

RI Generations

Light Brigade, Ltd - RIP 2008

MA Legends of Drum Corps

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily we snuck into Star Trek and saw that for "free", so everyone was happy. :laughing:
noice

No Countdown in Mequon, WI. They couldn't get it going, they said it was weather-related. There were only about 30 people in attendance. Some were going to try to rush to the other theatre in the Milwaukee area, but that would have taken at least 1/2 hour in a thunderstorm and it was already almost 8:00 by the time they refunded everyone's money. I have all the shows on DVD, but I really wanted to see the previews of the new Regiment, Scouts and Surf shows.

No theater tech glitches at my locale. But I will say this regarding the audio. The difference in the mastering between 07/08 and the earlier years was drastic. 07/08 were about loud enough in my theater (much louder and I'm pretty sure it would have sounded worse on their speaker system). There was true depth and clarity. But the 04/06 was a puddle of mud. Like listening to the sound through a wet towel. My daughter, who has no practical interest in drum corps (and, as a dancer, is more focused on the visual) even made a comment about the sound difference when BD's show started.

There were maybe 30 in attendance.

Just came home from the AMC theater in Phoenix. No show, no connection, and the management did not know why, but said it was probably their equipment. Since there were problems in other locations, it seems to be a system problem. Attendance was terrible and we waited for a long time to find out there was no feed. Probably about 30 people attending. They gave us a refund of the Countdown fees, and offered a free ticket for a movie of our choice. Will not try this again. Quarterfinals maybe.

which location were you at? none of them are super close to me so i'm trying to decide when i can sneak out of setting up my classroom to go see quarterfinals.... looks like glendale is a good shot and closest to my school, and sounds like mesa is out.

doesn't surprise me that westgate was decent - it's probably among the newest of the theaters.

in clifton nj, there was a shadow to the left of all the performers/guard equip and such like that..

the video was VERY fuzzy (there was a close up to the vanguard baritone soloist or during bluecoats) and the picture was TOTALLY pixelated, LAME.

The volume was NO WHERE CLOSE to loud enough!!! the "wall of sound" during BD's show just sounded like a white picket fence... LAME LAME LAME!!!! we worked hard to make that loud as hell and the theaters or dci didnt care :-(

not to mention.... the commentary and audience participation was the LAMEST THING ive ever seen in my life. that one lady who commented about bluecoats vs blue devils was the worst next to the high school band geek. lame, super lame, even hella lame.

Edited by DaveBari

No Countdown in Mequon, WI. They couldn't get it going, they said it was weather-related. There were only about 30 people in attendance. Some were going to try to rush to the other theatre in the Milwaukee area, but that would have taken at least 1/2 hour in a thunderstorm and it was already almost 8:00 by the time they refunded everyone's money. I have all the shows on DVD, but I really wanted to see the previews of the new Regiment, Scouts and Surf shows.

Yeah, I was one of the first through the line, got in the car and rushed southward, only to be stuck in a very intense thunderstorm. People were hydroplaning all over the place and it was a dangerous trip home. I made Layton Ave. at about 8:12pm and decided to not go, as it would have taken at least another 10 min. to get to the theater. Very disappointing and I am sure DCI does not care at all, but the theaters that had the money and then had to refund it will probably not do this in the future. It just is not profitable for them.

Edited by BigDale

Bellaire, MI.

My house.

My couch.

My 54-inch flat screen.

My surround sound.

Attendence- 6

Picture quality was flawless. Pristine and all colors showing up vibrantly. No problems at all with audio. God bless the fully-functioning volume knob.

Free snacks and beverages for all. Even had a handy stop button for restroom breaks.

Seriously folks. Time to stop wasting your money on an idea that has run its course. It was cool (sorta) when the countdown had CLASSIC in front of it and we got to choose from more than this decade. Now after hearing about all the audio and visual problems, I'm glad I only attended the first two. Then I got wise and decided to have a drum corps party at my house the same night.

Time for The Countdown to go the way of Old Yeller.

BTW, you're all welcome at my place next year.

Boy, after reading this thread I'll take the 54 inches of flat screen and the surround sound Polk Audio system in my rec room any day. Sounds like a LOT of issues that DCI needs to address.