Suggestion for future countdowns...

Personally, my suggestion would be to improve it based on feedback and do what is necessary to be sure everyone in all theaters has a remarkable theater-going experience.

Rather than "can it," let's "yes, we can" it.

How many years have there been complaints about the volume level for the broadcast, though?

Seems like every year, more or less. If it can't be bothered to be addressed years previous, why would we assume it would now?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI should turn it into an auction fundraising event in which the highest bidder gets to choose the lineup for the countdown.

Or they can make it into a Thunder Dome type event: all of the people who don't like the current format can have a Battle Royale, and the last one standing can dictate whatever he wants for a year. And then the following year when everyone complains again, the previous year's winner is slaughtered in the Battle Royale opening ceremonies.

Yeah, I'm pretty much ready for the weekend...

how about a cross-sectional show? showing full shows really limits the number of corps represented. show little pieces and keep it interesting.

"American Art Music" -- Cadets: Short Ride, Glassmen: October, Vanguard: Simple Gifts, Cavies: Niagara, etc.

"Rock Music" -- Madison: Kashmir, Teal: Anything Metallica, Colts: Anything from 97, etc.

"Music From Movie Soundtracks" -- BD: Godfather, Cadets: Far and Away, Cavies: 007, etc.

How many years have there been complaints about the volume level for the broadcast, though?

Seems like every year, more or less. If it can't be bothered to be addressed years previous, why would we assume it would now?

We are to assume nothing, but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed. It seems there was MUCH more input after the show afterwards.

Next year, we need input BEFORE the show about such issues, perhaps asking that a memorandum be forwarded to each theater to help them understand what drum corps people want.

I've personally found that a friendly chat with the theater manager the day of the event was helpful in getting them to anticipate what the audience might desire. Anyone can do that.

Just because something has perhaps been the case for any length of time doesn't mean it always has to be so.

But I'm a big fan of personal initiative.

How about taking out one D1 slot & inserting one for D2/3?

Why not take it further and do a "best of Open Class/D2-3" edition? It'd be a great way to generate exposure and there are plenty of good shows throughout the years that would be well-received. Off the top of my head, I can think of these:

Mandarins- any year they won D2 or D3

Cap Reg- 2002 (yeah, I'm biased :thumbdown:)

Academy- 2006

Pioneer- '90 or '91 (whichever year they won D3)

Jersey Surf 2000 (Their Carmen show)

Blue Stars- the year they won with 14 horns

Les Etoiles- The year they had the devices that they strapped the snare drummers into and spun them around in circles ('97?)

How about taking out one D1 slot & inserting one for D2/3?

I'd give a strong no to that... it wont sell well at all.

Edited by alarson83

i say all eras need to be shown.

I understand why they are keeping the countdown at 6 corps and a 2 hour limit. So my idea would be to have a best hornline, drumline, guard, drill, etc. You could have all current brass caption heads come up with a list of the 10 best hornlines and then the fans vote on which one they would want to see on the screen. You could get rid of the fan interaction/participation by having say...Wayne Downey talk with Steve and Dennis about 88 Blue Devils before the show. I don't know exactly what the 6 categories would be but probably something such as

best hornline- brass caption heads create an initial 10 corps list

best drumline- pecussion caption heads create an initial 10 corps list

best guard- guard caption heads create the intial 10 corps list

best drill- drill writers create the initial 10 corps list

best 13th place show- corps directors or hall of fame members create the initial 10 corps list.

I don't know what would fill a 6th category. Possibly most underrated show. You could still do the short pieces on the current years camps and you would get a wider range of shows. Plus I would be interested to see what Downey, Delucia, Gaines, etc would have to say about some of the shows they created.

I go every year regardless of the format, but I what I mentioned above would get me a little more excited about going.

Z

Edited by MikeZ