Synthesizers in drum corps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the fact that the Colts, Crusaders and Glassmen didn't really use the synths that well, or not to my liking at least.

It just seemed kinda distracting to the show more than anything.

Ok, I believe we can put the "I don't like the sound of synths" argument to bed.

You better a hiatus from DCP for a while.....this stuff is just starting....

Please direct your anger to the people who deserve it: the design/writing staffs.

Basically there has been no one who has directed their frustration/anger towards the marching members. Be it amps, narration, Bb or synths

on the web is not as good of a read as live, and if Chambersburg was any indication, it's not good.

The Spirit thread about the bass actually gets at everything in your question.

I must be blind then because I've read every page of that thread and can't find the answer... I see someone say yes, guitars are legal. What about the rest of my question? Can they build a mic into a ww and its now legal? It's technically electronic now...

Let me say for the umpteenth time, that synthesizers along with all other modifications to the historical drum corps activity in the last 10 years have nothing to do with exploring creativity or enhancing anyones experience. What this is, is a small group of people controlling the activity purposefully removing the distinctions between it and the marching band world in order to increase their own influence into another sphere where they can enhance their own income and explore more ways to make a buck. It has nothing to with "the kids". These are people who are big names in this acitivty who want to be big names in the band activity where there is a bottomless supply of kids, money and gullible people to tell them how special they are.

They care not a fig for the the laments and complaints of the legacy fan base and will simply do as they please expecting you to stick around as theyre the only game in town.

Let me say for the umpteenth time, that synthesizers along with all other modifications to the historical drum corps activity in the last 10 years have nothing to do with exploring creativity or enhancing anyones experience. What this is, is a small group of people controlling the activity purposefully removing the distinctions between it and the marching band world in order to increase their own influence into another sphere where they can enhance their own income and explore more ways to make a buck. It has nothing to with "the kids". These are people who are big names in this acitivty who want to be big names in the band activity where there is a bottomless supply of kids, money and gullible people to tell them how special they are.

They care not a fig for the the laments and complaints of the legacy fan base and will simply do as they please expecting you to stick around as theyre the only game in town.

Keyboards and synths are officially the ruination of DCI. I have downloaded just about every APD available on DCI from the top 12 corps and I can detect a synth from nearly ALL of the corps. It's a freakin' shame. No better way to ruin a chord of raw energy from a hornline than from a fake electronic one from a big black box. Hump me sideways. Welcome to BOA 2 boys and girls. Thanks again Hopkins!

Anyone notice ever since the demise of the G-Bugle...one more bad decision by Hopkins and company after another?

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::thumbup::smile::smile::worthy: