OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

This is just a sidebar but all the passion regarding the Scouts is here on DCP. There is little on the Scouts' Forum itself. The last postings were August 2nd and 3rd. There were no well wishes to the Corps as they entered the quarterfinals as were posted on many other corps sites. While there are positive and negative comments placed here on DCP regarding the Scouts, I don't believe there is any intent to "slam." Out of deference, the passion is placed here and not on the Scouts' website. Something definitely "went south" for Madison this year and it ain't the uniforms. There is probably a complex of issues that need to be solved.

Next year isn't going to be any easier.

Telling, imo.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. There's definitely more to the story.

But like I said, I heard it on DCP...so I have to take it with a grain of salt.

Right now the future is all that matters, so I'll worry about that for now.

Agreed...and from what I hear from folks, Chris is the right guy. Let's give him a chance to work his stuff.

Is it too early to start...

GO SCOUTS!!!

This is just a sidebar but all the passion regarding the Scouts is here on DCP. There is little on the Scouts' Forum itself. The last postings were August 2nd and 3rd. There were no well wishes to the Corps as they entered the quarterfinals as were posted on many other corps sites. While there are positive and negative comments placed here on DCP regarding the Scouts, I don't believe there is any intent to "slam." Out of deference, the passion is placed here and not on the Scouts' website. Something definitely "went south" for Madison this year and it ain't the uniforms. There is probably a complex of issues that need to be solved.

Honestly I've tried signing up for it several times, but it took forever to confirm me as a member, and I had trouble viewing/posting in threads so I never really caught on to using it on a daily basis.

Also: Once again, this thread wins DCP for longest "official" thread during the season. :tongue:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Not writing to incite any bad feelings between the Crossmen and Scouts, but why do current members of the corps find it necessary to steal things from the Crossmen? Tonight, the corps flipped the bird to the Crossmen and then proceeded to steal and trash an age-out's uniform. I had hoped that the Scouts had gotten it out of their system after stealing things from our truck in 2007 but I guess not. If you have connections with the current corps, please do something to fix this perception of the corps that has formed in the Crossmen's mind. This sort of stuff is bush league and repulsive. When I marched we never had any beef with the Scouts and always enjoyed the competition between the two corps. Why now do these things happen? I mean since neither corps make finals, do they have to legitimize their season by stealing other corps stuff? I hope they can figure out why they are really in drum corps and get their acts together. Thanks and like I said this isn't meant to cause a war between the two corps.

I really would like to know if this is true or not and here is the reason why.

Two days ago I was going to post on here some info about some grant money that the Scouts could apply for from a fortune 100 company but I had to go out of town. I could not pass this info onto the Glassmen because they do not qualify. The Madison Scouts on the other hand meets the first and most important qualification. There is however one other Corps that meets the qualification. I will hold off in telling the other Corps about the grant money until I find out if this is true or not. If this is true they would in no way let an org. drag their name in the dirt with stupid acts such as what was alleged in the post I am quoting.

I have had nothing but respect for the Men of Madison always have since 74. When I seen your equipment truck pull in to the lot Friday I got a big smile on my face because the Men of Madison was here. I was a little embarrassed because that was a goose bump moment for me. After all I am 47 years young. :tongue:

Back in the day the Glassmen were on the receiving end of being flipped off by a Corps because we beat them. I hated them for over 30 years for that and other things they done to us. I made peace with some of that Corps Alum 2 years ago. No problem there for me. Yet there was never any stealing of anything involved. I really do hope this line has not been crossed by some members of the 09 Madison Scouts. I will wait for the facts to be told one way or another.

Peace

Dean

Telling, imo.

The Scouts' website is in need of some serious help....like copying the Blue Devils' site. Great way to earn some extra money as well...could sell audio clips, etc. The fact that the site gets limited hits is troubling as well...certainly not good for recruiting.

From what I've heard from time to time on DCP is that had they kept Sal they probably would have had a solid finalist corps, but the staff salaries would have driven Madison to fold.

Pending my parents' approval I'll be auditioning for the Scouts again the next 2 years. I love the history of the corps and could care less if they are going through a rough patch right now. If my attitude is any sign of what other auditionees will have for the future seasons, I'm really excited to see what happens in the next few years.

Sal was there for 3 years, right? Someone was aware of the salaries....board of directors, etc....right? So I guess I don't get the folding because of the salaries thing...which may be real...and, if so....something should have been done in year one...and not year 3...like make more money, get more donations, fix the website so people can purchase Scouts stuff....

I hope your parents approve! I was at the rehearsal on Friday...and I was not disappointed...at least with the horns and drums...they are certainly on their way up. Guard looked improved...but not to the judge's liking, that's for certain. So, with that...I feel the Scouts will be just fine...they just need better stuff for guys like you to work with...better drill and arranging would be a good place to start.

Next year you will be back in finals!

The Scouts website is embarassing. It is horrible. Heck, the Scouts dont even have a current photo of the 2009 uni on the home page.

It is very sad to go through the DCI program and see just how many of the top 12 corps that performed tonight have instructors that were actually on the Scouts staff just 3-4 years ago...including Sal Salas. (Congratulations on another great year with the Glassmen.)

And I'll save someone the trouble of telling us all that "if Sal were still with the Scouts he would have run the organization into bankruptcy."

As for the post about Scout members stealing a Crossmen uniform. I personally don't believe it, but if it did happen I would hope that 99% of the current Scouts would want this person exposed and banned from the corps.

I would also add that during semi finals a couple of Scouts came in and sat in front of our group. As they were leaving another couple of Scouts were coming in. One of the Scouts that was leaving said to the two coming in "We were sitting in front of a very nice lady and made a good impression on her of the corps. Don't blow it."

To me it showed that certainly some (I think most) of the corps members are thinking of their tradition.

Good luck to the Scouts organization. I hope you figure things out.

As I sit here and read everything about the scouts I am saddened by all the things being said about the scouts and what everyone says about how to make the scouts better and what got the scouts to this point.

1) people keep trying to blame Sal for the problems with the scouts, yet every year he was in charge he made the scouts stronger and got them into finals.

2) The uniform changes meant the downfall of the scouts, yet what did they where before 88 oh what did they where when they won their first championship in 75. Ladies and gentlemen white pants and a green stripe does not make a corps great . The members and its staff make a corps great.

3) The possible stealing and battle with another corps, as much as I wish that this did not happen, unfortunately it does happen. I traveled with the scouts in "03" and some members thought it was ok to steal gatorade from the housing site. The staff sat down with the vets and made this incident stop and it never happened again. Now every corps has dark secrets about members and staff making poor decisions. However it is up to the Vets and the staff to make sure this does not happen again and make these problems disappear. Of course when corps' struggles throughout the year the members do tend to take there frustrations out on others.

There are problems within the scouts, at this point you can no longer blame Sal it has been three years. The uniforms I have already said it. the 90's are gone move on.

It is time for this great alumni that the scouts claim to have to step up and help their corps. find this great money everyone seems to think have and make the corps better. I hope the alumni will teach the new members what it means to be a scout in the public eye.

Face it a lot of things are broken, but who will step up and help fix it, going back to the way things were in the 90's is not the answer the activity has moved on from that time. It is time for the scouts to do the same.

Shannon

I really would like to know if this is true or not and here is the reason why.

Two days ago I was going to post on here some info about some grant money that the Scouts could apply for from a fortune 100 company but I had to go out of town. I could not pass this info onto the Glassmen because they do not qualify. The Madison Scouts on the other hand meets the first and most important qualification. There is however one other Corps that meets the qualification. I will hold off in telling the other Corps about the grant money until I find out if this is true or not. If this is true they would in no way let an org. drag their name in the dirt with stupid acts such as what was alleged in the post I am quoting.

I have had nothing but respect for the Men of Madison always have since 74. When I seen your equipment truck pull in to the lot Friday I got a big smile on my face because the Men of Madison was here. I was a little embarrassed because that was a goose bump moment for me. After all I am 47 years young. :doh:

Back in the day the Glassmen were on the receiving end of being flipped off by a Corps because we beat them. I hated them for over 30 years for that and other things they done to us. I made peace with some of that Corps Alum 2 years ago. No problem there for me. Yet there was never any stealing of anything involved. I really do hope this line has not been crossed by some members of the 09 Madison Scouts. I will wait for the facts to be told one way or another.

Peace

Dean

The LINE was CROSSED.

stealing ------- flipping other corps off in public is not acceptable.

come on.. STEALING

What happened to the CLASSY scouts of the past.

something very wrong here.

LL

Edited by louielouie