Musical Cop-Out

Mello Dude,

I think you're missing something here. A person accusing somebody of selling them a Dodge when it's not would probably be able to produce some sort of documentation proving it from Dodge itself. Who or what would somebody suing DCI for selling a ticket to a drum corps show go to in order to prove that it's not drum corps?

This is one of the funniest things I've seen on dcp in some time. Just waiting for a real lawyer type to chime in. :rolleyes:

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on board with keeping drum corps pure as well. But, I have been getting bashed in another thread for using a specific judge to make my point. I think its in our best interest to just choose to have discussions about this topic and try and leave Spirit or any other corps name out of it.

I know we needed this particular group to start the topic, but as a former dci instructor, this may make some kids marching feel very uncomfortable about the show and not want to buy into the product. I know we don't want that for Spirit or any other corps.

The staff chose to use what is allowed in DCI to help this corps become successful this summer and they felt it was needed to help their production. It's not our place to judge them, but absolutely we can criticize whether we think they should be able to use this in the shows at all. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Let's have our discussion, but please think about the kids who are marching this summer and the staffs who are trying to get their kids to buy in to the shows . Let's not try and influence how they should feel about their product.

Just my two cents. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Edited by trumpetcam

No one tries to add a brass instrument (other than a F horn) to a woodwind quintet...

No one tries to add musical accompaniment to an A Capella group...

No one hooks up to an amp if they're putting on an acoustic concert...

So why is the idea that drum corps has it's own musical instrumentation and style (just like all other forms do) of performing music using brass and percussion not able to hold water like the rest? If a number of groups played the same tune, say an orchestra, a rock band, a choir, a symphony (the ensemble the original piece was written for), a high school marching band, and a drum corps, wouldn't we want each group to have it's own unique sound? Let me go further, none of those groups should sound like one is better than the other (IE: Drum corps shouldn't just should just sound like a better marching band) nor should we think any sound like a "lite" verison (IE: Drum corps shouldn't sound like symphony-lite)... in my mind each group uses it's instrumentation and style to sound DIFFERENT... and in every other musical realm it's that uniqueness that makes the ensemble special... yet in drum corps we apparently want the ensembles to sound as much like something already out there as possible... my question is why?

I am on board with keeping drum corps pure as well. But, I have been getting bashed in another thread for using a specific judge to make my point. I think its in our best interest to just choose to have discussions about this topic and try and leave Spirit or any other corps name out of it.

I know we needed this particular group to start the topic, but as a former dci instructor, this may make some kids marching feel very uncomfortable about the show and not want to buy into the product. I know we don't want that for Spirit or any other corps.

The staff chose to use what is allowed in DCI to help this corps become successful this summer and they felt it was needed to help their production. It's not our place to judge them, but absolutely we can criticize whether we think they should be able to use this in the shows at all. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Let's have our discussion, but please think about the kids who are marching this summer and the staffs who are trying to get their kids to buy in to the shows . Let's not try and influence how they should feel about their product.

Just my two cents. Thanks. :w00t:

:rolleyes::w00t::worthy::w00t: :w00t: :worthy: :worthy:

fraudulent misrepresentation

Definition

Instance of false statement where (1) the party making the statement is aware that it is false or disregards the possibility of it being false, (2) the party making the statement does so to induce another party to enter into a contract, and (3) the other party enters the contract as a result of the statement and consequently suffers a loss.

Anytime you sell tickets you enter into a monetary contract and it falls into the business realm. If I sell you a Chevy (and tell you that), and you bought it and them find out it was a Dodge that is fraudulent misrepresentation.

DCI markets these as "Drum Corps ". Theoretically, " Drum Corps " could have Fifes in the Corps. As such, these " Drum Corps " have " Drums", and they are " Corps ". To bring a successful case a plaintiff would have to show a case of a fraudulent enterprise meant to deceive. The defendant no doubt in this case would demand a jury trial. The burden to win would be the overwhelming preponderance of the evidence. Since most in a jury pool would not know the distinctions in " Drum and Bugle Corps " and what we have today, coupled with the fact that DCI is not marketing these as " Drum and Bugle Corps", the plaintiff and their lawyers would be essentially wasting their time..... and money. The chances of a plaintiff prevailing here is pretty much zero.

Edited by BRASSO

Unfortunately, it certainly appears that at least one person in the DCP community does want that, at least for Spirit. :rolleyes:

Okay, so I'm going to say this first, I love Spirit and everything they do,

BUT

I will be the first to admit I was skeptical when I heard about this year's show.

*again* BUT

After watching a few rehearsals and seeing how far this corps has already come along this year, I have no doubts they will max this show to its full potential by August.

Now, to the bass thing. Okay, so the bass was overpowering? It was the first show! Even though it was a standstill performance, it was still just the first show. Like every corps, they will take note of their mistakes, work on them, and make the show even better. In this case, lower the volume. I don't see the whole problem in having a bass. It goes greatly with the show. It sounds fine. The hornline still has plenty of melody and awesomeness.

Don't worry so much.

I totally agree with Granny.

And I think we should completely eliminate the pit and go back to the time when EVERYBODY marched!

It's Marching Music's Major League, right! So let's all MARCH.

This is as far as I've gotten so far. And I think it's silly when people go to the furthest reaches of ridiculousness to make their argument. It's a deflection tactic that paints anyone who has a problem with what's going on in drum corps right now as extremists and skips over any actual discussion on the topic.

I agree with Granny. I too think it's a musical cop out. As I stated in the Rockford Tap thread last night, it's like the designers have just thrown up their hands and said, "we're all out of fresh ideas here. We've been designing for BOA so long that we don't know how to be creative anymore without electronics, so give us electronics in drum corps so we can be creative again." It's actually pretty embarrassing to me that it's gotten to this point.

But other than that, let's stop with the wild, outrageous arguments that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Okay, so the bass was overpowering? It was the first show!

Everyone makes this argument as if everydays never happened.

lol. Who would sue them? Is there a governing authority anywhere that defines what "drum corps" is and has legal rights with regards to its use describing an organization?

Hmmmm... We should start one. Who do we call?