Would you really leave the activity

Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?

• Yes, drum corps as I loved it would no longer exist
    • No, I love this activity way too much to leave it

even on percocet, i watched a video of a BOA band thats supposed to be cutting edge and i had pains

Where's the vid? I'm on percocet as we speak. :blink:

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bogart the percocet, pass it around. :blink:

Only if you take some of the post-op pain with it. :omg:

At least woodwinds are a real instrument unlike a synth. No, I'm not comfortable with the addition of a non-traditional instrument, but I plan to have an open mind about it. I'll see what happens. If it's good, it's good. If it sucks, I trust the corps will be smart enough to recognize that and phase them out. In NO way, are synths negotiable, however. Fake is fake. I will still go to shows, but the synths will mitigate my overall enjoyment.

BTW, this is my 500th post. Just sayin......

Edited by leeb

At least woodwinds are a real instrument unlike a synth. No, I'm not comfortable with the addition of a non-traditional instrument, but I plan to have an open mind about it. I'll see what happens. If it's good, it's good. If it sucks, I trust the corps will be smart enough to recognize that and phase them out. In NO way, are synths negotiable, however. Fake is fake. I will still go to shows, but the synths will mitigate my overall enjoyment.

BTW, this is my 500th post. Just sayin......

A synth is a real instrument, and technically qualifies as a percussion instrument, just like a piano does, because the instrument is played by striking the keys.

Woodwinds are neither Drums nor Bugles.

A synth is a real instrument, and technically qualifies as a percussion instrument, just like a piano does, because the instrument is played by striking the keys.

Woodwinds are neither Drums nor Bugles.

refer to images below

I haven't been around since the early days, nor can I give a fancy list of statistics to back up my opinion. I will be merely stating what I think.

Okay... To begin with, I oppose the use of woodwinds in DCI, and I don't think they will happen... ever.

Let me explain. Drum and bugle corps is a combination of brass and percussion instruments and a visual ensemble. That is.. what it is. If you want to hear woodwinds and electronics, watch a marching band. The fact is that they are two different organizations. Adding woodwinds to a drum and bugle corps would be like telling a soccer team they can use their hands to move the ball. It would turn the activity into something entirely different (for all of you ready to shoot down my argument, this is called an "analogy").

Secondly, I honestly believe that DCI would lose a SIGNIFICANT number of fans. Not all, but enough to hurt the activity and the funding it on which it depends. BOA already exists, so why would you try to re-invent the wheel? I'm not bashing marching band- I'm just saying it's not drum and bugle corps.

Thirdly, it would be massively impractical to field woodwinds. Aside from the major financial and logistical problem of maintaining marching woodwinds, you would have to A) drastically reduce the number of brass, meaning you would lose the impact of the hornline that most fans crave; B) increase the maximum number of members to allow for a sufficient woodwind section, which would make cleaning VERY difficult and make the corps nearly impossible to fund; or C) amplify a small woodwind section, meaning they wouldn't be able to march... not to mention going against my first argument.

While there have been changes to DCI's instrumentation rules in the past, the fundamental has been the same (brass+percussion+visual). Amplification has already been approved, and although I do not entirely support it, I will admit that there have been instances where it added to the show (ex: 2007 Bluecoats). However, adding woodwinds would simply be crossing a line that need not be crossed. Like I said before, if you want to hear that, watch a marching band.

Please don't pick apart my comment and make it say something I don't mean. I'm just making a point. That is all :blink:

Edited by jrmscreamer

even on percocet, i watched a video of a BOA band thats supposed to be cutting edge and i had pains

How about on vicodin??? My dad had orthoscopic yesterday for torn cartlidge and has a nice big bottle of 'em. And doubt if he'll take any of 'em as he hobbled to the resturant about 2-3 hours after surgery. Nothing like driving someone home and halfway there hearing "I'm hungry ######.... let's stop for something.". :blink:

Seriously... good luck with passing....

Every time a major change is added to drum corps, we hear people say "I am not coming back" and that "I won't watch drum corps again." However, most of those people come back, and usually end up here to discuss their disappointment.

This might, it part, explain the diminishing crowds at drum corps shows over the past couple of decades.