Thank You 2009 SCV

i have mixed feelings about this show. Not a real fan of the opener but the closer :tongue:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping that after the big hit/company front they'd do a soft ending. I love it.

Not top 8? They are easily top 7 with or without drill rewrites. The chances of getting caught by any of the corps that finished behind them given the quality of that performance are very, very slim IMHO. The problem is that the corps that finished ahead of them continue to be amazing. I downloaded the Bluecoats show from On Demand and they sure sound like they are not faltering. If anything they sound even stronger then last year. So... SCV could be much improved, and they are IMO, and still finish 7th.

As far as the comparisons to 87 go, it is a non-issue for me. SCV has had several great moments with that material already. This performance will stand on its own.

Edited by jwscv87

Just some personal thoughts

A. So far, the weakest part of the show is the second and third movement. I agree with several others that there is in a dire need to add a musical climax somewhere around 3:00.

B. As for the GE, I am never a fan for the dance movements or minor props. This is a direct criticism for SCV guard visual design in since 07. SCV guard this year is extremely talented... I am just worried that the use of flag is undervalued in a show under the ballet theme.

C. Love the perc. book this year, especially its musicality. The show would be formidable once the tempo picks up later in the season. Looking forward for drill rewrite. :-)

D. The response from the closer is amazing.... especially for the first competition.

Feel free to disagree. just my opinion...

Let me preface this by saying that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Copeland. The first time I actually cried and wet myself simultaneously during a performance was in 1987 as the Cadets performed the best (IMO) drum corps show ever. If I were marching this year (which would be a very funny sight) I would want to play this show that SCV is playing.

Having said all of that, I ask...even if SCV puts out a show that is better than the 87 Cadets, will they be able to get the score they deserve, or will there constantly be a comparison to Garfield, coupled with the fondness that people have of that show?

It would be like another corps trying to put Phantom of the Opera on the field. It just seems that certain musical books "belong" to certain corps.

I'm looking forward to taking an extra pair or two of underwear to finals this year as I hope that SCV DOES pull it off!

no the show design will not ert them get gold

Copeland is like WSS.

Both corps will play it really well but there is a ceiling on how exciting it can be because it's been done FIFTEEN MILLION times before...

:sad:

The good news is... this is classic drum corps. The bad news is... this is classic drum corps.

Just heard from a staffer that their current drill writer is on the way out, and a former drill writer is on the way back in! :sad:

Just heard from a staffer that their current drill writer is on the way out, and a former drill writer is on the way back in! :sad:

when did this writer write the drill?