Thank You 2009 SCV

I would just like to let everyone know that in spite of what had been said in this thread, there are no "major drill changes" coming to SCV at all... And also, Pete Weber is still with SCV and plans to stay there. Asking for him to be fired, whether directly or indirectly, is a bad thing. He's written 3 years of INCREDIBLE drill, and now he writes ONE that some people don't like?

I know that a week or two I was calling for SCV to get rid of Key, but I was wrong to do so. I didn't factor in the effect a lot of other people at SCV have on the music and just threw the blame on Key. I believe Key has done an excellent job for SCV and wish him many more years there!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me preface this by saying that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Copeland. The first time I actually cried and wet myself simultaneously during a performance was in 1987 as the Cadets performed the best (IMO) drum corps show ever. If I were marching this year (which would be a very funny sight) I would want to play this show that SCV is playing.

Having said all of that, I ask...even if SCV puts out a show that is better than the 87 Cadets, will they be able to get the score they deserve, or will there constantly be a comparison to Garfield, coupled with the fondness that people have of that show?

It would be like another corps trying to put Phantom of the Opera on the field. It just seems that certain musical books "belong" to certain corps.

I'm looking forward to taking an extra pair or two of underwear to finals this year as I hope that SCV DOES pull it off!

As you may or may not be aware, Appalachian Spring "belonged" to SCV way before Garfield '87.

Having said that, if I said I did NOT think about Garfield '87 about ten times during SCV's show, I'd be lying.

I wish I could give an objective review of SCV's show, however I was so overcome by it's SCV-ness and old-schoolness that I couldn't keep a dry eye.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. They are going to be spectacular by finals and one of if not THE crowd favorite, no matter where they place.

I have a VERY reliable source that says Pete is still there and nothing has ever been mentioned internally about him leaving, nor will it be. The source says the drill was intentionally written this way, and from a visual stand point I get the impression that the corps is exactly where they want it to be.

The corps took their performance up a notch last night in Riverside. This show will be fantastic when they get to Indy. It has all the makings of a show that will be remembered for a very long time.

There will be a design staff meeting later in the week to discuss the show and talk about what most design teams usually talk about during the season. This regular, planned meeting. Everything is right on schedule! No one has hit the panic button. We have not reached "Defon 5". All is well in Vanguard-land.

I wish I could give an objective review of SCV's show, however I was so overcome by it's SCV-ness and old-schoolness that I couldn't keep a dry eye.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. They are going to be spectacular by finals and one of if not THE crowd favorite, no matter where they place.

You would have been proud of the kids last night, they stepped up and took it to a new level. This is going to be fun to watch the show progress this season.

Not in "the know," just a hunch but I think a lot of coreography and body movement is going to be added to give the show a feeling of being a ballet.

There are already hints of that as some horn players step out of the drill and interact with each other and the guard.

Just speculation on my part.

Crm....if you too have a contact close to the organization, see if you can find out why their drill isn't nearly as difficult as it has been the past few years. I've heard reasons, but no sense in stirring the soup more than I already have.

The big complaint from people on DCP the last several years is something like "SCV has AMAZING drill, but it's too dificult to clean by finals." Perhaps that has been a staff complaint as well, and the drill was written to be more obtainable by the membership?

Also, if the music was written to not be 'in-your-face' type drum corps with an impact point ever 45 seconds, and more a true reflection of the serene beauty of the original piece, perhaps the visual package was designed to compliment this theme. I.e, the are no crazy drill moves because there are no crazy music statements? I think the visual goes very well with the music for the most part, and in the end it's not DIFFICULTY that wins, it's EFFECTIVENESS. I think too many fans get caught up in "how that drill move was crazy and hard, and it will take until Finals night for that move to be clean," when instead the should be thinking "that visual package REALLY compliments the musical statement and is very effective." The sheets say "general and visual effect," not "general and visual difficulty." If the visual compliments the music, THAT is what matters. Pete Webber's drill in past years has complimented the music book well and has brought a high demand as well; this musical book is a little bit more directional than past years, IMO, and therefor dictates a different visual book than, say, Three. Kind of like if an orchestra is playing Rite of Spring the group will have a different approach than if they were playing Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony.

Staying true to the original source music meant writing a different type of drill. Pete Webber did just that. I can't wait to see this show in person at Allentown, but from what I've seen on FN, Santa Clara is back.

I personally love this show - because it perhaps stays closest to the original source material that I have ever heard in drum corps. As a classical music lover, App Spring is my favorite piece by an American composer, and one of my favorite pieces period. This is such an amazingly beautiful show musically. I also think the drill fits the show. I'm not sure how it's going to pan out for SCV. I saw the videos of all those available, and after Crown it is my second favorite show. I think SCV has talent in the brass, guard and drum lines - enough to challenge for the top stop in music, however, I fear the drill will be their downfall because of lack of demand. But, that really doesn't matter to me, because whether 1st or 7th (there's no way in hell it will be lower than 7th), it is a beautiful show.

Not to de-rail, but for those interested I have scans of my sheet music (lead soprano) from Garfield '87 up, here's the thread from the Brass forum: Brass Forum Thread

Or direct link to the scans: Appalachian Spring lead soprano music from Garfield Cadets, 1987

I can't wait to see SCV's show this year.