Why won't DCI let us watch finals LIVE?

I'm not talking about TV coverage. Going under the assumption that the ESPN contract prevents DCI from broadcasting Finals on ANY VENUE (like the Fan Network, for example), does DCI have plans to broadcast Finals in some form on the Fan Network once that contract expires?

Hmm...different thinking here. ESPN is a TV network, so that's where I was thinking...that and the fact that the ESPN contract obviously has had no effect on the qtrs broadcast....possibly because it's a different venue.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're already doing it with their regional competitions. They show Quarter Finals every year over a live broadcast....they have the technology....

I know that they have the technology, I'm just saying that perhaps there is more to this than I (we) think.

I thought the ESPN contract was only for three years (06, 07, 08).

Anyway, I understand the $10 pricing is too much of an awesome deal, but they can't price themselves out with some $40-50 event, much like they price themselves out of DVD sales. $40 is what you pay for an on-demand, pay-per-view event on your TV. $10 wouldn't work in 09, but I think all of the events should be $9.99 with the finals at $14.99.

There are some metrics out there to gauge what price structure would be correct in the long run, but to look at things on a very simple level...

1000 less people at finals, in my opinion, would be a very significant drop. And yet you'd have probably 30-40 thousand across the US streaming online (and that is a conservative estimate). They will definitely make money on this thing.

But still, people go for the experience. They won't lose 1,000, maybe not even a hundred. You could always just stay home and buy the DVDs. There is nothing like seeing the event live, but for the majority of us who can't afford or don't have time to make the trip, I think it'd be great if DCI offered us an option of streaming Finals online.

We need to attract more casual fans. Most people that go to DCI shows are band parents, corps alumni, and locals that don't have a connection to DCP. The hardcore types will always visit Indy! As someone earlier said about the NHL's early growth, broadcasting our event will mean MORE fans and money, not less.

Edited by jetman1287

am i the only one here who thinks watching DCI live in a stadium is 100x better than on the tv/computer?

cause i would DEFIANTLY spend an extra $50 to see finals live. hell, maybe more.

am i the only one here who thinks watching DCI live in a stadium is 100x better than on the tv/computer?

cause i would DEFIANTLY spend an extra $50 to see finals live. hell, maybe more.

It is OF COURSE better watching live...that's why it won't cut into attendance...but many of us can't afford to spend a weekend in Indy and this would be a fine option.

Because they want you to buy the insanely overpriced tickets to finals and then the even more insanely overpriced DVDs.

This.

[/b]

I completely disagree with this. If a free broadcast didn't hurt attendance in the past, why are you so convinced something like a $10 one would now? I think you're talking about two different customer bases here--I think it's ridiculous to assume that a sizeable number of people who would otherwise be willing to travel to Indy, pay for a hotel, then pay for a more expensive ticket would then blow all of that off to settle for a cheaper, online experience. They are two completely different mind-sets/customer bases and I guarantee you that offering the lower priced online alternative won't significantly affect ticket sales. (Like I've already said, attendance numbers were fine even with the live--free--TV broadcast.)

I agree... DCI would make more by offering a $30 pay-per-view stream. People go to finals for the experience of being there. You're not going to keep people from going because of this, you'd get some people to cough up some money to see what's going on in Indy.

This.

Is $70 per ticket for 5+ hours of live entertainment in one of the world's finest stadiums really overpriced?

I certainly don't think so.

On the internet topic... I live in Indiana and will be at all of Finals week this year, but even if I weren't, I'd probably pay $10 just to watch a webcast of retreat alone...

It is OF COURSE better watching live...that's why it won't cut into attendance...but many of us can't afford to spend a weekend in Indy and this would be a fine option.

I'm just saying, I can't see someone spending all that money to go to the show origionally and then just turn it down to watch the SAME shows again on the computer like they have been all summer. The people I know that go to finals don't just go there to see the marchers go through there motions but to get the experience. And that experience is what they pay for.

Is $70 per ticket for 5+ hours of live entertainment in one of the world's finest stadiums really overpriced?

I certainly don't think so.

On the internet topic... I live in Indiana and will be at all of Finals week this year, but even if I weren't, I'd probably pay $10 just to watch a webcast of retreat alone...

Yes it is overpriced. If you have a family or whatever that gets really expensive. Besides, it's about the "TCE" ( Total Cost of Experience)... Add travel, food, etc...

I'd pay $30 to watch the current stream-quality of finals at home on my computer. I'll go see quarter finals in the theatre. That's about it...

Edited by jjeffeory