Santa Clara Vanguard...

The Vanguard organization is very solid and has terrific community outreach/educational programs.

However, the decision by SCV board sometimes puzzles me... such as the dismissal of Koester (the tour director) after the brought vanguard's championship title in 1999.

It is my hope that the design team would be together at least for another seasons. Andre is also doing an amazing job with brass this year.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show is brilliant. It's fun, engaging, emotional, and manages to get everyone on SCV's side. At their first show in Walnut, I was blown away that they got a standing ovation. I mean, it was the first show, and everyone was yelling and screaming and covered in goose bumps. And even more amazing was that again, at the first show, the crowd booed when SCV took second. Not that I liked actually hearing the boos, but it was so intense to just see so many people fall in love with this show and SCV so quickly. I hope they do well.

I absolutely love where they're headed. They have what I consider to be the most mature and refined production on the field this year (and that's a great compliment considering the excellent competition they face).

Musically they achieve not through ridiculously fast runs or over-the-top volume, but through artistic interpretation and excellence of sound. They don't bash you over the head with a fortissimo onslaught, rather they seduce you with gorgeous overtones, balance and dynamic phrasing. Don't get me wrong, I love being entertained by an in-your-face show as much as the next old-timer, but what Vanguard is doing this year just feels more like art.

Visually I think they are doing well too. They have that old Vanguard theatrical vibe going. Their ballet show is chock-a-block full of, surprise surprise, balletic movement and interpretation. Their drill may not have the velocity of some of their competitors, but it is full of exposure and needs to be performed with extreme uniformity to look good. They are really pulling it off well in my opinion, and it really suits their music.

The future looks really bright, I hope they continue down a similar path for years to come, they've really found a beautiful and distinctive voice for themselves.

I thought there drumline was pretty #### good, especially the bass line. Thought there baseline was > the BD's when I saw them back to back on the 3rd and 4th of July.

Maybe there is dirt on the field or ensemble problems, but they were #### good in the lot.

Edited by atlvalet

Musically they achieve ... through artistic interpretation and excellence of sound. Visually I think they are doing well too.

I agree. This is the "whole package" as people have said. It reflects a maturation of the entire organization, and they are "re-entering" the elite through the dramatic interpretation befitting their history. No doubt the first of great things to come.

I thought there drumline was pretty #### good, especially the base line. Thought there baseline was > the BD's when I saw them back to back on the 3rd and 4th of July.

Maybe there is dirt on the field or ensemble problems, but they were #### good in the lot.

definitely a killer bassline

I only have a problem with one segment of the show and I truly thought it would have been rewritten by now. This is the only thing (in my mind) that is holding them back. The rest of the show is a WINNER!!!!!!!!

What part is it? And why is this affecting the Guard Scores?

About 4 minutes into the show, when the guard has an AMAZING dance segment .... Simple gifts is introduced ... guard is still dancing. Missed transition for guard to silks to introduce the new theme .... The segmentation of the drill out of the cluster pod really doesn't make sense at all. Then a 30 second slow and muddy transition for the guard to change to equipment. It's a total missed opportunity. Vanguard .... this really needs to be fixed. It's 45 seconds of your show that is box 4 at best, no matter how clean it is. The thing that shocks me is, it's all based on a design flaw. It truly is the beginning of a new movement in the show and the visual doesn't match whatsoever.

Minus that 45 seconds, this show is brilliant!!!!!!! I <3 U SCV!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the show in Toledo 2 days before Quarterfinals :tongue:

This show is going to be a top five show, hands down, and that is a great thing. I do think however that things will straighten themselves out and Crown will pull back ahead of SCV in the ATL. There were some truly funky GE and Ens scores last night. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Regardless, what an absolutely beautiful show with a drum corps style finish for the ages!

Does it bother anyone else that we will never be able to hear the final push on the recordings since the crowd roar will be deafening?

However, the decision by SCV board sometimes puzzles me... such as the dismissal of Koester (the tour director) after the brought vanguard's championship title in 1999.

It is my belief that those days are truly in the past. SCV is rounding the bend this season with the wind firmly at the corps' back - and a renewed positive energy that I (as just a casual observer) could feel a month ago.

Very cool for me to see them doing this kinda classy show with a strong artistic arc to it, have the crowd loving them - and get rewarded for their efforts also. Add in that very clear and deliberate dose of the Vanguard corps identity and I think we have one fantastic show for those in the audience who know what SCV is supposed to feel like. :tongue:

I bet Gail is very pleased with the loyalty to the spirit of SCV this show displays.