Atlanta's Brave New World

I can love the Cadets of 2000 (one of my favorite shows of all time) and still be able to not trash the Cadets of 2006/7/or 8. Not entirely sure Hroth could say the same. That's not to say that people's likes/dislikes can't change.

I just find it interesting that the first year Crown may have a shot at the title, suddenly it's so-and-so's favorite drum corps performance of all time.

Wow... I think you view drum corps WAY too much like a stick and ball sport. Wouldn't it make absolute sense that the year when a corps is really, really good is when someone would like their show the best? Not everyone on DCP is a homer. I like the shows I like, and I tend to like the ones who score the highest every year because they are designed and performed better than the rest.... I guess I have that in common with the judges. :thumbup:

Edited by Tez

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You stated unambiguously that the Cadets were your favorite corps from the 80s to about 03 many times.

Indeed. chaddyt accused me of calling them "the corps I always wanted to march." I never said anything like that.

Whew.... just read like 30 pages of the thread. Just a few things I thought I'd respond to...

i say DCP needs to implement a chatroom for big events.

just sayin...

AMEN! Great communication tool for us fans and it could hopefully lead to less arguing on show threads!!! :worthy:

Say what you want about their program choices, but neither got where they are because they didn't know what they were doing.

Totally agree.

I like their show also. BD doesn't get a lot of love on this sight, but people just get tired of them winning.

I have noticed this too but I don't really say much because I try to stay objective (as much as I can) and appreciate all drum corps efforts.

Yesssss.

This. This times 2 billion.

Or Adagio for Strings.

I would be more than happy to hear SVC play encore!!! Especially if they did Adagio. :thumbup:

No, I'm not sure it's a minority, per se...there are just those that are more consistently vocal about BD NOT being "dah bomb diggity". I've noticed that eventually a lot of the BD supporters don't post their defenses as much because they just get tired of rehashing the same arguments. Some people are just bent on wanting BD to lose, so they ramp up the criticism for them more than others corps...frankly, it gets tiresome eventually and there is no real "winning" of an argument on this forum so there's no reason to, as you stated, get bent out of shape.

And I don't think they mind the criticism when people say they just don't connect with the show. Heck, I don't completely connect with HNC or The Cavaliers this year, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to say they have an inferior program. I think the problem starts when contributors to the forum start posting asinine comments like "This is easy".

Bingo for me!! Thanks for typing many of my thoughts out pags! :blink:

The singer's drill is harder than BDs.

I just thought this was hilarious. I didn't catch the singing or encore, but you guys made me LOL quite a bit.

Thanks for another entertaining day all!

Countdown to Indy: 13 days....

I have tro say most people on here are homers. They're great at predicting placements late in theseason. then talking smack at the end. In fact most on here couldn't explain why any corps is doing better than the other.

You have the BD homers that predict BD will win...Tough guess.

The you have the crown homers who think this is the year for crown...

Bottom line if you have the design and you execute you will be in the top few.

As I said from the begining

Cadets

SCV

BD

Cavies

Crown

Bluecoats

Phantom

BC

everyone else can use their formulas, grids Ect...

Not one calls from the begining...

the top three are set...everyone else is pushing for improvement.

Edited by Phantombari1

<3 most like everyone <3 omg tonight was so awesome

but after seeing the show live, i STILL can't get into BD's show, i just can't wrap my mind around it lol, and personal stand point, i don't think crown should have passed HNC, SCV i could see but not HNC. maybe that's just me, i just got home and way to tired to go back and read thru the old posts. :thumbup:

I wish I had time at the moment to give my review of the show (as if you guys would read it anyway :thumbup: ) but I just got back from the 3 hour drive from ATL to Birmingham and I'm wiped... I will comment on 4 corps though, the 4 that mean the most to me:

1. Spirit: The members seem to really enjoy putting on this show. The only problem I have is Spirit managed to somehow still have a little of that "over-thinking" thing they've had going on for a while in a show revolving around Kansas. The hornline sounded good, though. Proud of the Baby Blue.

2. Madison Scouts: I really think this show isn't getting it's due. First, let me just say it's a LOT better than it was in Denver; hell, it's a lot better than it was YESTERDAY in Gadsden. Sure the guard unis may be a little humorous and I've seen some people say the opening narration is cheesy and the Mambo section seems a little too "comical"... but here's what I know: The hornline is playing the #### out of their music (BYBO), the drums are laying it down with attitude, the guard is really into their roles, and the visual package is getting cleaner whether you believe it or not. Truthfully I think this may end up being one of the best shows to not make Finals.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard: What can I say? The horns sound great, absolutely fantastic. Another standing "O" from me during the company front. Miss the cymbal "V", though...

4. The Cavaliers: I don't care what the scores were tonight, BD better watch out come Finals 'cause I really think this Cavies show is better than a lot of people think. Visually it's not as difficult as some of their past years like '02, '04, etc. (felt the same way about '07 and '08), but that's OK 'cause their "visual lacking" is still better than most of the corps around them. The upside is their brass this year, to me, sounds WAY better than years past, maybe the best Cavaliers hornline I've heard since I've been going to shows. Like I said, keep an eye on the Green Team. They may surprise everyone on the second Saturday in August.

I have tro say most people on here are homers. They're great at predicting placements late in theseason. then talking smack at the end. In fact most on here couldn't explain why any corps is doing better than the other.

You have the BD homers that predict BD will win...Tough guess.

The you have the crown homers who think this is the year for crown...

Bottom line if you have the design and you execute you will be in the top few.

As I said from the begining

Cadets

SCV

BD

Cavies

Crown

Bluecoats

Phantom

BC

everyone else can use their formulas, grids Ect...

Not one calls from the begining...

the top three are set...everyone else is pushing for improvement.

What is your point exactly?

....heard they had a brand new member tonight too that just learned (almost) the drill.....oh well, maybe next time.

Well good luck to that member if that is the case.

I saw their show back in Annapolis. What's your point? You used to be a self-proclaimed Cadets homer up until recently and hated/loved their show depending on what elements were included based off of what you felt was enjoyable drum corps. Which is all opinion based, contrary to what you may have deluded yourself into thinking.

Honestly? The best thing you can do for yourself on this forum is at least admit your bias and stop pretending you're something you're not. I'm not partial across the board. I don't pretend to be. The Cadets are my corps. For better or worse. I will not sit here and bandwagon. I may not always like their shows, but I support the corps. Whether they're getting 5th in 2006 or 2008, or getting 1st in 2005 or 2nd in 2007.

Try being a BK fan no matter what. :thumbup: It can be difficult to deal with the lower scoring years, but I love them.

sorry, i'm late to the game tonight. gotta catch up.

they've had a trumpet hole since San Antonio. where was the other one at?

50 for the horns/drums and 60 for the guard

it's a hot tranny mess. i think it's absolutely trashy.

nope.

what happened to Hrothgar15 and who are you?!?

i threw up a little...in my mouth.

wrong.

wrong again.

CORRECT! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Wow you should be ashamed of yourself. Don't get nasty just because your corps isn't doing as well as you thought they would.

But as I said 40 pages back, I think that Bluecoats showed us a little bit of the future tonight - I think that WGI-like one-time costumes will be replacing uniforms down the road - essentially putting the CG uniform on the whole corps. It will certainly make even larger drill sets possible, and might allow you to bring the CG into the horn block for some of the more intricate moves. It'll also be cooler (temperature) and relatively cheaper.

Mike

Mike-

While I agree with your statement I have to respectfully say I find the above quote depressing. There is already way too much WGI influence in the activity now for my taste. I suppose I get beat up for saying that...

CM