Best of the decade- Blue Devils

totally stealing an idea from another thread...

but a great idea!!!

BD's best of the 2000's. Rank em!

Mine:

1. 2003

2. 2007

3. 2004

4. 2008

5. 2006

6. 2002

7. 2009

8. 2001

9. 2000

10. 2005

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rank the Blue Devils shows from this decade in order from favorite to least favorite.

1. 2000 - Methods of Madness

2. 2006 - The Godfather

3. 2008 - Constantly Risking Absurdity

4. 2003 - The Phenomenon of Cool

5. 2002 - Jazz: Music Made In America

6. 2004 - The SummerTrain Blues Mix

7. 2001 - Awayday Blue

8. 2007 - Winged Victory

9. 2009 - 1930

10. 2005 - Dance Derby of the Century

Edited by DCImonkey

Crap Contra Jedi...I was already starting this one....and yes it is a great idea and it's funny that we started the same corps! haha

Mods Merge or close the other or whatever

I think that the Blue Devils tend to change design themes and focus pretty frequently, so it's difficult to group them into "years" the same way that I was able to do with the Cadets...

Here are my choices with some commentary:

1. 2003 - Phenomenom of Cool

This was a pretty ground breaking show. It was very fan friendly and probably their best product in the 2000s. :thumbup:

This was a "Uh, you know we're tired of you winning, Cavies, We're going to beat you at your own game" year.

2. 2001 - Awayday Blue

You know, I just think the music was nice that year. Nothing revolutionary, just a nice show.

I don't think the Blue Crew realized just how dominate Rosemont was going to be, but they know how to play the game. :thumbup:

This is part of the "We think we should be winning" years...

3. 2004 - The SummerTrain Blues MIX

This show's brass performance was good. The soloists were great. Oh and the pit innovation was nice to hear! Chooo Chooo! :worthy:

This is part of the "We think we should be winning" years... And they ALMOST DID!

4. 2000 - Methods of Madness

What can I say? This show was a continuation of what had been working for them since 1997. :poke:

This is part of the "We think we should be winning because we're clean" years...

5. 2006 - The Godfather, Part BLUE

My perception of Blue Devils shifted during this year. I wasn't crazy about the show designs from here on out... :angel1:

This is part of the "Guard & WGI is our future" year.

6. 2007 - Winged Victory

This show held so much potential for me at the beginning of the season. In the end I didn't get it. It was a tale of two shows... :tongue:

This was a "Uh, you know we're tired of you winning, Cavies, We're going to win in our back yard! Oh and "Guard & WGI is our future" year.

7. 2009 - "1930"

I like parts of the show. I question the design worthiness of parts of the show. I'm just sayin' :worthy:

This is a " Guard & WGI is our future" & Uh, we want to have the honor of being named the corps of the 00s so we can put out a CD with the same name" ( Cadets did this in the 80s) year.

8. 2002 - Jazz: Music Made in America

I was really excited about a Channel One Suite reboot until I heard it. :thumbup: I should have known better after witnessing the Chic Corea reprise of '94! :worthy:

This was a "OMG, let's make the show choppier so that we can almost win" year.

9. 2008 - Constantly Risking Absurdity

Uh, I wanted to like the show. :united:

This was a "Guard & WGI shows are our future" year with a little "Cadets were out there in 05, maybe that's how we stay ahead of the game" year sprinkled in for good measure. But it was mostly a "Guard" year.

10. 2005 - Dance Derby of the Century

Uh, YOWZA, YOWZA, YOWZA! Feel the rhythm... :worthy:

This was the beginning of the "Guard & WGI is our future." years. Yowza...

I'll try to be snarky with all the corps.

I didnt see 00-02 live, so i dont find it fair to list them with the others.

1.2008 (my favorite, even though i liked PR better. 2 great ones at the top)

3.2009 - if there were more visual demand, this show would be my top one. I love a lot about this show.

7. 2005. Yowza, what a disaster of an idea.

1. 2008 - Constantly Risking Absurdity. So cool and different. Something actually new in drum corps. I like that!

2. 2005 - Dance Derby of the Century. Maybe I'm the only one who liked this, but I believe that, viewed objectively, this will be appreciated in time. Let me also say that I thought Start 93 was the greates show ever from the moment I saw it.

3. 2009 - 1930 = I thought I would not dig this show. After seeing it live, it's just amazing to see the visual vocabulary in this show. For my money, only the Blue Knights do body this well.

4. 2004 - Summertrain Blue MIX. I still don't really understand it, but I know I love it.

5. 2002 - Jazz: Music Made In America. Very clever.

6. 2006 - Godfather Part Blue. Took me a while to dig it. I'm still not sure I do. But I'm back and forth on the isue.

7. 2000 - Methods of Madness. Nice music!

8. 2003 - Phenomenon of Cool.

9. 2001 - Awayday Blue - Great music! Introduced me to some new stuff.

10. 2007 - Winged Victory.

1. 2002

2. 2006

3. 2003

4. 2007

5. 2004

6. 2009

7. 2000

8. 2008

9. 2001

10. 2005

I only have pithy comments about some of them.

1. 2003 - This looked like a winner from June on. My favorite brass book of the decade from them.

2. 2004 - Really cool percussion and pit effects. Great payoff when the brass finally plays Summertime.

3. 2008 - It's rare for BD to do a "fun" show, and this one totally worked. My favorite visual design of the decade from them.

4. 2001

5. 2009

6. 2007 - Probably my least favorite champion of the decade.

7. 2000

8. 2006 - If only the Godfather movies had produced more than 8 bars of melody...

9. 2002

10. 2005 - In fairness, the announcer was probably the best voice actor we've yet heard in DCI